Guests with good reviews turning out to be a disaster?

Yeah, so I guess to answer my questions you can’t really require that they not be local residents or have to be approved first. Even without Instant Book, finding out they are local and then rejecting their request counts negatively against your acceptance record.

Georgygirl,
What is Noise Aware, I have never heard of this.
What age limit is advised, 25 years, 30 years?
Thanks ever so much

You should have exterior survelillance cameras and noise monitoring on your property.
The age limit you choose depends upon your type of housing, how many guests your property holds, your neighbor’s tolerance for noise and activity, your tolerance for property destruction, your location and other factors. You need to be aware that there are brakes on publicizing or adhering to your age requirements, and you must use other creative means of enforcing your age limit ( “not comfortable” ) and through advanced dissuasion.
I am in a locale that attracts bachelor and bachlorette parties. My properties are on very large lots with large freestanding homes, in my residential suburban neighborhood. I will accept older bachelorettes, or those with a no drinking philosophy due to religion or pregnancy. I wont accept bachelor groups under any conditions at all . Zero bachelors or full men’s groups… no golf groups, no business groups, no wedding groups…they become inappripriate no matter what pre promises they give. I have had multiple issues and never a good men’s group. And if men collectively have high income levels they dont give a hoot about vomit or noise, and then they are willing to just pay for any of the damage after causing issues. No mens groups for my homes.
So I used to list 30, but now I list 29 as my age. Truth is, the real factor seems to be whether or not the traveler is personally a home owner. A fellow homeowner understands the value and responsiblity of home ownership and uses better behavior if they themself own a home. A renter doesnt “get it”. I also run away from 2 night bookings for the most part…they try to cram too much fun into too small a time spam. I avoid 2 nighters when and if I can, depending upon the season and the reason.

2 Likes

Good Reviews are relevant to property price.
A $30 a night rent a rooom property will give a guest a good review nearly every time.
Then the same guest rents a $600 night luxury home and invites 15 extra folks.
Not equal. The luxury home doesnt even bother to leave a review…they have mgt, and never met the guest, and only care about collecting on the damage, which might be covered in other ways, and not scaring away future good groups.
Honest Guest reviews helps other hosts and owners, but it does nothing to attract good bookings.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, you are a lifesaver. I just had two young local people who wanted to book my SFH on a private wooded lot for the weekend. What an excellent point that bars are closed and people are looking to party. Turned them down for other reasons, what relief, that is exactly what they were up to.

1 Like

In support of @Ockerdew he doesnt care enough about supporting the flawed review system ( neither do I ) to bother to pay anyone to check up after guests in order to put in a review. I am sorry if this sounds ugly, irresponsible or harsh, but it’s my job to take care of my property, not to “warn” other hosts. I have every safeguard I need, including living in the neighborhood. Other hosts should implement their own proper checks and balances, and stop relying on AirBnb or other hosts as the buffer or for protection. I agree with @Ockerdew totally.

thanks ever so much for your great insights
is it legal for me to say must be over 30 years
is it legal for me to say must be homeowner

Legal yes, but against the ToS for Airbnb. The only exception, I believe, in respect of age is if the community you are hosting in has this as a legal(?) requirement, e.g. an apartment within a seniors complex or such like.

JF

This question is answered with this statement:

1 Like

can not say those kinds of things on ABB.
You have to find creative ways to get rid of the irresponsible guests.
I have run 2 full houses for 12 years and ( knock on wood ) not yet had an out and out disaster.
Yes I had someone through a pre wedding event. ( I kept $500 ) and I have had bachelors throw up and be too loud. But otherwise, no theft ( unless you count a mixer, and they probably thought they brought it with them), and towel muck ( the cost of biz ) and broken chairs…I bought stronger chairs over time. So I must be doing something right, although I know I could become a victim and a target at any time, so I dont pat myself on the back nor feel immune. And yes the guests are getting worse and yes the bottom feeders and scammers are much more prevelant the past month.

2 Likes

Make sure you read Airbnb’s Non-discrimination policies. It is against their policies to exclude people based on age (other than saying your house is not suitable for children, but you can’t say you’ll only accept >30).

I actually don’t think age is a good way to weed out bad guests. I’ve had very pleasant and respectful 20 year olds as well as awful 40 year olds who smoked in the room and left a pigsty. Your better bet is to ask questions about the nature of their stay and decline if they seem to be coming to party. If you still want to set a minimum age, you can’t come out and say that’s why your declining because it’s age discrimination—you’ll have to ask other questions and then make it clear you’re declining for that reason (I.e. “I’m uncomfortable with hosting a bachelor party”).

Age and Familial Status

• Airbnb hosts may not :
    • Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.“

Did you leave them bad reviews?

We had a 3 day minimum. Guest booked for three people for three days. They arrived at 5:30 a.m. Ate all the snacks, left a mess. Set the furnace up to 80 degrees, then turned on air conditioner to 50 degrees (it was January in MN. 18 degrees outside) Then they cancelled and left at 12:30 p.m. (just 7 hours after they had arrived. We looked at outside camera footage after they left and discovered that the person who rented it was not even there. When they left they all wore blankets over their heads to hide their faces as they hopped into a white cargo van. This guest had several good reviews. We gave them a bad review.
After checking her profile we saw that they had another bad review right after us. Host said that they moved furniture, boarded up the basement windows and left house a mess.

Squatters, my guest has 5 stellar reviews, now they have overstayed by 24 hours. Airbnb help said my issue is being referred to another department of Airbnb, no response. I contacted my guest on the forum, notified him that checkout was 11 am yesterday.

I never saw the need for a Security Deposit (which surely makes guests less likely to book) when Airbnb’s guarantee allegedly covered me.

I did try to claim a year ago for fumigation when a guest smoked all night in our property. It absolutely stank, and I was quoted around £2000 for a full-service fumigation. Airbnb argued about the cost long enough and eventually agreed to about £200 for rental of an ozone generator, which I’d operate myself.

After 2 weeks of argument the smell had almost gone away and everyone who’s been in said it smelled fresh, but today I still think :thinking: there’s a hint of B&H about the place. 100-odd guests haven’t complained since then though.

Anyhow, the point was - Airbnb answered, put someone on the case, argued a lot, but seemed ready to pay out.

how awful
what is wrong with everyone

Go over there with a witness and tell them they are trespassing and must leave. If they don’t, call the cops.

2 Likes

You don’t mean that you only messaged them on the Airbnb platform?

Airbnb was no help whatsoever. Thank god they left. 24 hours late, left me a heaping sink of dishes, like every dish in the house & pots & pans. So they got one free day off me, am so glad they are gone.

I’m sorry this occurred but am glad that it’s over. Your situation helps solidify approaches should this happen to you (or any of us) in the future.

I have to ask:

1. What would you have done if you had a guest arriving the next day?
  2. Why not show on site up as suggested above? Why not call the police and have them removed for trespassing?
  3. Why allow them to get one day free?
3 Likes