Guests who show up with dogs without notice

We welcome dogs at our place. But it is so nice to have advance warning. I put a machine washable coverlet on the bed rather than the dry clean only, one. I put a minimal pile throw rug out, instead of the thicker one. I place a dog bowl set out for them to use rather than my people dishes, etc. Why doesn’t airbnb have a box you have to click, when you are making a reservation with a pet? Even while looking for a place, clicking pets allowed , instead of simply the number of guests?

2 Likes

Why don’t you make it part of your house rules, that you will only accept dogs, if guests let you know in advance that they will be bringing their pets?

2 Likes

If someone shows up with an unannounced dog, call Air nd tell them you are not comfortable with this guest, and have them re-homed somewhere else.

There is a place to click if you are bringing a pet. I allow dogs as well and have very specific guidance in my House Rules including that we do not allow puppies - dogs under 1 year - and we charge a fee for each dog - $50.00 per stay. We have only had one dog damage a screen and the owner left us money to cover the repair. My big annoyance with Airbnb, unlike VRBO and HomeAway, is if someone indicates they are bringing a dog it does not trigger the pet fee therefore I have to send a notice to the guest asking if they noticed in the House Rules there is a pet fee and then send them an altered reservation which they have to approve. All this is time consuming and unnecessary since Airbnb is a high tech company and should be able to add this feature easily.

2 Likes

Through airbnb, there must be a spot the guest clicks, because twice now the notice that states how many guests that are coming, stated pet. I just wish airbnb made it mandatory. I have placed in my rules that I need to be notified if pet is coming. I do not charge a pet fee, I think many guests feel, if there is no extra fee, why do I have to notify the host…