Guests who request booking with children despite listing stating unsafe and no child amenitues

I suspect that is because hotels which allow dogs don’t vacuum shampoo the rugs in between guests so once a dog has peed there the next dog thinks “this is a good place to pee” and so on. I allow dogs in my rental and hope people take their dogs outside to pee before coming in but I know those with lap dogs just carry them from the car. I provide a Little Green vacuum washer for accidents which has an enzyme to break down urine. And wash my rugs twice a year. And my own dog usually goes in to inspect after guests have been there so if she pays attention to one particular spot I wash it. But I just know that won’t cover everything. Even though I ask guests in the guide book to tell me if there are any accidents, and won’t penalise them, I know plenty just pretend it never happened. As I say: there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

1 Like

I’ve been told that the product Pool Perfect has the same enzymes at a fraction of the cost. I’ve used it and it does seem to work. I don’t know what the comparable product would be in your country but you might look into it. Also a black light for finding the accidents they don’t tell you about.

2 Likes

It only costs about $15 for a couple of litres and I use about one capful each time. The one bottle has lasted my a couple of years so far. A black light might be a good idea as long as I resist the urge to try it out in the bedroom!

1 Like

There is no such thing as a clean rug after its been peed on. I used to own a carpet cleaning business and trust me it does not come clean. As a guest I do not want to stay in pet friendly rentals. I do not need the money bad enough to ruin my nice rugs and have a house that smells of pee every time it rains. I just saw a guest review , thanks chrome extension, from a guest who complained about the smell of dog pee and how it increased with the humidity.

RR

2 Likes

Last year I removed the remaining carpet from my home. Pretty appalling. And while I have pet and a pet friendly listing with carpet, I know what you’re talking about.

As I said, I know what you mean, however my pet friendly rental has hosted over 400 guests and I have 100% 5 star on cleanliness. It’s just a an ensuite room about 200 sf total but it is a pet friendly rental. Not only that but it’s booked close to 100% of the time I have it available. All of this is to say it doesn’t change what you would do but a host certainly can successfully have a pet friendly rental

1 Like

Then don’t. Any dog meeting you would immediately pick up on your aggression and feel unwelcome.

Lol, ok… I love dogs, have a dog and have always had dogs. I just don’t want to stay in a place with dog pee, and since dogs nearly always pee when in a new place and carpet cannot be cleaned of it I would rather stay in a place that does not allow dogs.

When I travel I do the right thing and send the dog to the “spa” Thats what I tell him anyway.

RR

2 Likes

Or you can still stay in pet-friendly accommodation that doesn’t have carpets. :wink: I know some people live in colder climates so they need carpets, but luckily I can avoid it in my rental and it makes my life muuuch easier. I just have small mats in the bedroom, and bathroom mats. Nothing else. It makes my life much easier. If a dog ever peed in my accommodation, I would have no idea unless they did it on the couch or bed.

1 Like

Slight correction here…I agree it can be a problem. But “nearly always?” No.

I’ve had over 500 different dogs in my home over the last 5 years of dog boarding, friends coming over, Airbnb guests with dogs and I’d guess 15% mark inside. Of that 15%, 90% are male dogs.

I still have carpet in my Airbnb room but I will eventually replace it with tile.

And those of us who board dogs thank you for it.

Well then its just my dogs, every dog every single time and thats over like at least 25 years of dogs. And they never pee inside at home, other than my current one who is a nervous pee’er First dog I have ever had that if I yell at him he pees, so he is teaching me to be a better human and not to yell.

Oh THANK YOU for being the doggie spa!

RR

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

All male? The only thing they all had in common is you. :thinking:

LOL.

No, a few males and a female.
Yes it must be me!
But in my defense I have and always have had dogs who are well trained. No inside accidents at home after puppyhood, all of my dogs have been able to be off leash, come to me when called and well behaved. I actually think I am an excellent dog dad and training comes naturally for me.
Thats why after all of my experiences with them peeing in hotel rooms, always the hotel room not peoples houses I am of the opinion that most dogs behave the same way and most owners either do not see it, or blot it up and forget about it thinking it must be because another dog peed in the same spot. Which is probably true, other dog did it first.

So no dogs at River Rock Retreat! And as it turned out, the 2 night booking I just turned down was replaced by a 3 night booking so I end up ahead:)

RR

1 Like

My dog is very clean at home but pees on my Mum’s carpet when we visit! Luckily she has a carpet shampooer, but it’s quite annoying. I guess they want to mark the territory. If I rented to dogs I would definitely have no carpet!