Guests who lost our keys gave me a bad review because I opened a file with the Resolution Centre claiming money to replace all the locks

Relying on your guest to place your keys in an unsecured area then asking for reimbursement for lost keys is a grey proposal. Anyone could have been watching them leave an place the keys in the mailbox and retrieve them once they left the area. This is not the guests fault, even though it may have worked in the past something went wrong this time. And the guest should not be responsible for the cost of replacing the locks. I would suggest either having the guest leave the keys in the home or in a secured lock box on property.

Iā€™m pretty sure this is the kind of location with locked mailboxes like in an apartment building.

1 Like

Youā€™re right, KKC. There are 2 apartment buildings with a total of 12 apartments and 12 locked mailboxes in the entrance hall. We canā€™t enter the entrance hall from the street without a key. We canā€™t retrieve something from the mailbox without opening its door because the opening is very narrow, not more than 10mm. In the past two years, as I couldnā€™t arrive before 11am (and I still canā€™t ) for check-out, at least 50 guests had dropped the keys in our mailbox without any issues.

I think the guests in question simply put it in the wrong letterbox because they werenā€™t well awaken, they had a toddler of 17 months, they had a lot of luggage (including a travel crib, a rather big toddler car seat and a big baby buggy, and they had a very early flight. It is frightening to think that someone in the building found the keys and is keeping them. As I donā€™t live there, I know only 4 neighbours out of 11.

I will definitely ask a locksmith to install a secure keyless system for our entrance door because the same problem may happen again.

Isnt the mention of a money request via resolution etc a ā€œno noā€ for reviews??? Pretty sure Iā€™ve seen hosts on here get reviews removed because of things like this!

I am also in France in an apartment building and the building regulations do not allow the installation of the keyless locks. They expect all of the doors to look the same and visible keypads are not acceptable and neither are lock boxes allowed to be fixed to walls. Check with your management company(Syndic) before it costs you more money.

Iā€™m a locksmith. Never ever leave keys in mailboxs. They are stolen all the time. If I was the guest I would not be paying either. Imo you should wear it.