Guests staying home 24/7 but being clean - what's a fair review?

Did they give you any cake?

1 Like

In the olden days - like back in the last century - it was a thing for English seaside landladies to expect their guests to be off the property at ten in the morning and not return until teatime.

But in those days, Queen Elizabeth ll was a newly married woman, the war had only been over for a few years and England still hanged murderers. Different time indeed. And times have moved on.

If I’m paying for a rental - hotel room, Airbnb, STR of any sort - then I’m paying for its use 24 hours a day except on check in and check out days.

If a rental is really really cheap then I guess a host has a right to state in the listing ‘we expect our guests to spend the daytime hours away from the property’ or whatever. But that is so bizarre these days.

3 Likes

As long as they’re paying the nightly rate, they’re smoking outside and they’re clean, I do not really see an issue. They’re probably broke and don’t have money to go out sightseeing or bar hopping. If he went on two interviews, he might be hanging around waiting to be called back for a second interview.

1 Like

Except of course, that most are not 24h …just stayed in a Lakeside cottage with Check In after 4 pm and Check Out at 10 am …on 1 night stay that leaves :wink: …we did stay 3 though.

it comes down to experience and comfort level. Some guests leave for an hour a week. The rest of the time they order take out.

It’s more of a challenge because when some are around they want to engage you. It’s tough to chat for hours on an extended stay. That’s why I prefer guests who have fixed agendas.

Chiming in on the would-have-been-better-if-they-rented-a-whole-flat side. Cassid, microwaving fish is never a good idea. New here, love reading all the stories.

I have guests who are visiting Hawaii and spend almost all the time in my four walls. Yes, my place is cute but certainly not as beautiful as the outdoors in Hawaii.

I used to be able to count on them heading up to Volcano to visit the park at least once during their stay, and now that’s not possible as the park is closed. Still, would you come to Hawaii and stay inside the whole time?

Ironically the last guests who did that were the horrible Canadian SH who keelhauled me with a nasty review of everything they didn’t like that they had agreed to on booking. If you hated it so much why did you stay in the whole time?!!!

It’s so weird how that happens. We sometimes have the same. If guests hang around the place then it bothers me that they are not getting out and about and enjoying our fabulous area. If they are out all the time then I start to think that they don’t like the accommodation.

They just can’t win with me!

Yes and Airbnb actually expects hosts to allow 24/7 access to accommodation. However in the case of a private room this does not have to extend to the host’s kitchen or living areas!

1 Like

What about the extractor hood? What about opening a window?
I could not stand my home being stunk out - so invasive.

It makes me annoyed just to think of them baking cakes all day in your kitchen. WTF. Making a mess, getting in your way, using all your fuel. They should have booked a self catering place but they’re too tight to pay for it. It’s none of my business, but why the hell go on holiday and spend all your time indoors baking when you could do that at home for free? I like my own kitchen best anyway.