Guests sneaking extra person and using drugs - airbnb giving them a full refund?

I’m not a genius but if your guest is in AA, that means they had a problem with drugs or alcohol in the past and I’m hearing the word medication a lot from this guest… Its interesting that there’s another thread on here updated today with a story of a lawsuit from an Airbnb review. Although I’m not sure what this guest’s damages would be since only other Airbnb hosts would ever see your review. The only damages she could sue for are maybe how much more a hotel would cost her than an Airbnb. I seriously doubt she’s going to sue you.

Good for you on blocking her.

2 Likes

@Mexican: She is nuts. I highly doubt that she is going to do anything, she should just keep taking her meds and stfu…

Airbnb ended up putting the review back on… "It looks like the review for this reservation was removed erroneously. A star rating regarding cleanliness and a message regarding comfort do not warrant a content policy violation, nor are enough to prove this guest’s review does not reflect their personal experience.

Therefore, as there is no violation with this guest’s review, we have been forced to make the review and response public again. "

Incredible.

1 Like

This is incorrect. Anyone can access Airbnb, click on a guest’s profile and read their reviews.

Here’s a random guy I found. I’m using an incognito window and am not logged in. So Airbnb doesn’t know I’m a host. I can see this guy didn’t read his welcome letter. Not that big a deal but if it said he smoked weed and brought an unpaid guest (and that wasn’t true) he could use it in his small claims court case.

3 Likes

How do you do that? I don’t see a user search.

There’s not one. But click on anyone’s profile and all their reviews are visible.

I’m going to edit my post to attach the screen shot I forgot

2 Likes

So you cannot prove there were drugs in your home? I wonder if any of us signed on for this. Perhaps Air should mention in their advertising that the burden of proof is on the host.

Oby, thank you for tracking all this and including the rep’s response. Hope to never need it but it will be good to be able to point to specifically.

Oh no, I kept reading…

No I cannot prove it… even if I could have captured them on video smoking they could always says it was cigarette or vape.

Yeah… I asked airbnb again to investigate but they have not got back to me yet.

It is true that the first line of defense is to ALWAYS call Airbnb first PLUS put it in WRITING in your message thread so Airbnb can see it. Everyone needs to be aware of this because it can really make a difference in the way Airbnb treats you, as host.

That being said, it seems to me there is extra emphasis in acquiescing to guest concerns over host concerns. I am a 5 star super host and have felt this before. Have any other long term Airbnb hosts noticed this?

3 Likes

I would call the police if they are using drugs and trespassing as well. That eliminates the issues with proving anything to Airbnb. They should remove that review at this point.

2 Likes

horrible experience. would try to call airbnb to cover yourself that they were contacted but would not also hesitate to call the police if they cannot do anything for you. If they unhooked your security cameras, look at the footage of the last few recorded videos. you should be able to keep that as evidence who unhooked it. destroying your property, supicious behaviours, illegal drug use, tresspassing…activities that warrant the police to be called. notifying airbnb that safety for hosts and protection of property is important and must be acted on a timely manner when they cannot be reached or respond appropriately. your property is also your investment and should be protected from damage. what gain do hosts have with giving guests bad experiences? not sure why airbnb sides with horrible guets sometimes but its sometimes about the money. get all your evidence and tell them to remove that review and make sure to respond truthfully to the guest review as well. be factual and calm. i read recently a host who sued a guest and airbnb over defamation that caused her to be delisted. also, if there is found criminal activity from police, a police report can also be written. that is further evidence on your part for airbnb.

yes, i learned to keep clear indicated messages via the airbnb message format wth guest as evidence of the event and how it was handled

If I read the thread enough, the OP says Califronia when he mentions jurisdiciton. So…

Marajuana isn’t illegal in California and past pot convictions are being purged in many counties. It was legalized for reacrational use over 12mo ago, and for medical a long time ago.

That said, I’d be annoyed if someone smoked in my airbnb, be it tabacco or pot.

My experience has been that if a guest misbehaves and you want them OUT Airbnb is much more likely to support you if you’re willing to refund them the nights they have not stayed. That is the option I have always taken. My bookings are usually 2 nights, but a week is not uncommon. It is not a fly-in destination, more weekend recreation for urban dwellers. I don’t lose a lot of money and I have my peace of mind.

Getting guests to pay for nights they haven’t stayed despite their behavior - well, hotels don’t usually do it, do they? Frankly, I would rather have Airbnb support me in removing bad actors from my house. That I lose a couple nights’ income is the risk I take in renting at all. It is not guaranteed income.

2 Likes

Legal here too. I make it plain that smoking and vaping are not allowed and may result in the loss of the damage deposit and that violation of house rules are cause for immediate eviction with no refund. My main concerns are smoke smells, as well as visitors and sneaking in guests. I’ve only had a couple small issues with visitors/sneaking in guests.

One bunch left behind a bag of marijuana candy. Fine by me :slight_smile: If I found anyone smoking inside, it’s time to go.

Hey @Oby. So sorry you’ve had this stressful experience. I recently had a 2 night booking for 4 business guests in my 4 bed/2 bath listing. A common booking. As usual, at 9:30 am I sent the message ‘Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us. We hope you visit was a great one. If you head out before the 11:00 checkout time, please let us know’. When 11:00 am checkout time rolled around and I had not seen them (on camera that views the driveway) load anything out, I called the guest to ask if all was okay. Left a voicemail stating I was on my way with the cleaning crew. Fast forward…he is finally out at 11:50 am. What? And when I pull in the first thing I see are beer cans and plastic cups all over the ground in the garden seating area. Huh? Never. In 5 years. Then I open the door and … WTF? Started filming video. Looked like a frat party house. I filed a claim for $125, @ 2 extra hours cleaning (as he left an hour late and the extra mess) + 3 bath towels just missing. I submitted stills from the video and the guest never responded to the claim. I escalated to Air and included the entire video, plus photos from outside and advised I have more video if they needed it. The awarded my claim. And I left the guest a 1 Star, honest review. He so far has not reviewed me.
I have never been turned down for a claim against a guest. I save my claims for real trouble and not chipped plates or stained towels though. And I ALWAYS have photographic or written proof.
One suggestion I’ve read on this forum is to make the extra guest fee $100. When you can prove the extra guest, at least you’ll get the $100.
I did show up one time on a guest having a party, with blunts (stinky pot) blazing, a dozen extra people, etc. I kicked them out on the spot by threatening to call the police. FL is still illegal w MJ.
He gave me a review saying I kicked them out because ‘Black lives don’t matter to her’. I called Air and they took both our reviews down.
These blunt smokers came on a night I had used ‘price tips’. NEVER AGAIN. I never go low. I save my charity for Hurricane or fire season when folks really need a place to stay.
I hope it all goes better for you on the future.

2 Likes

Mine is $500 for undeclared guests over my limit of 6
I have not had the chance to test if Air will back me up on it, hopefully I do not.

RR

Like you I sometimes have issues with extra guests! It does not happen often because I rent a private room and I live on site but I guess some people are really stupid and/or have no respect of basic house rules and courtesy. Also they probably don’t read the rules at all.

I have video cameras also recording the front door and living room of my home which I didn’t have before. Like you guys I also stated in my house rule that I will request $149 per extra guest and per night to prevent guests from cheating me.

One day this group of 3 girls lied to me and the 4th guest came later and was hiding the all time… it was just ridiculous. How can you enjoy your stay just to avoid spending an extra $30 per night? I said nothing and pretended I didn’t see they were in 4 because I didn’t want to argue. The guests were also extremely quiet since they didn’t to want get too much attention from me :joy:

So I waited that they left after staying 2 nights at my place. Then I texted them and asked them about the 4th guest… they tried bullshitting me and pretending it was local friend helping them with the luggages to check out…sure… I had videos of them getting in and out the entire time.

I submitted to airbnb all the footage. The guests agreed to pay the original $60 and airbnb paid me $90 so I got $150 total. They left me a bad review which I was able to remove (the only one actually). I don’t think they will reimburse you the $500 extra guest fee… but doesn’t cost anything to try. You will probably get some of it. If it happens I suggest you to not request over $300 since airbnb will ask you a police report if you do.

I am filing another claim regarding extra guest today for $250. I also have footage. This has happened more lately… It’s hard to know what to do because if you catch them they will most likely get defensive and give you a shitty review as well… so you lose big time. The best even if it’s really difficult is to accommodate them when possible… hosts are hostage of the airbnb reviews system and refund system. The guest that I kicked out (1st time in 3 years, almost 2000 guests hosted) who came in 3 people and smoked weed was able get a full refund so I lost my payout, got a shitty review and got pissed off. These people stay at my home for free for half a day, smoked drugs at my place, came in more than expected, insulted me and left me a bad review on top of it! They were even able to remove the review I left them and airbnb refused to tell me why.

I will be more careful next time or just call the cops if necessary. A police report is the best evidence you can have but who really wants to go there ?