Guests not washing hands it seems

I have liquid and bar soap at the bathroom sink and the tub. They use a little, but they aren’t there much. I imagine the soap to toilet paper consumption would tell.

I had one guest who had some sort of OCD, using 16oz/500ml of liquid soap per week, two rolls of toilet paper per day and asked for more towels after going through a dozen in less than a week. He was a long term guest and I put him on limits and he could buy more on his own past that. I saw him coming in a few days later with a couple dozen towels.

He was there less than 12 hours a day and after his stay my water and gas bills showed an enormous increase. He must have been taking 3 showers a day. I’ve stopped taking long term guests after this. There were other issues that influenced my decision.

2 Likes

Time to introduce hand washing education camps in families and schools.

1 Like

It is possible they are using their own, or maybe they do not like the one in house.

We have a septic tank which can only cope with toilet paper. I have a laminated A5 notice on the wall by the loo paper. The heading is “Save out septic tank”. It has a photo of a toilet holder with paper and a large bold ✓

Then I have a list of things you can’t put down the loo like nappies/diapers, wipes etc. Beside this list is a large bold X
I use the picture approach because we get many guests who don’t have English as a first language. I’ve noticed that many business owners have a written notice which must puzzle foreign guests… I know there are many languages I don’t understand.

This reminds me of the Employees Must Wash Hands Before Returning to Work signs. Like the rest of the world shouldn’t bother.

2 Likes

I’m in California and get mostly over-nights. I’d say the same about my guests’ hand washing, with one caveat – most of my guests are Americans and young people whose “sunk cost” includes at least one shower per day. So I’m guessing, rather than just washing their hands, they’re washing whole bodies (and they easily use 100ml body soap each per day).

Someone mentioned clogged toilets, but we haven’t had one in over a year and a half and nearly 100 guest stays. Previous to this house, we were managers of an apartment building, and when we lost our handyman, we found a great local service, same day, who would use a powered snake to clear toilets for only about $40 US (no, I’m not missing a zero). I looked up charges on the internet, and the average seems to be about $140 for a simple job.

1 Like

This is our experience too. We put out the exact same items, with wall-mounted shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the shower. We sleep 10 on a regular basis for usually 1 week, but the amount of soap still in the containers and sometimes completely unwrapped bar soaps indicate that families have different bathing customs.

So what’s the point? May be they save your money :slight_smile:

Hi RRR, remember this post of yours. Well in the last few weeks I’ve have gone through more liquid hand soap than I went through in a year. Guess the Coronavisa is making an impact on personal hygiene. Has this been your experience too?

1 Like