Guests making beds!

There is no way that I would not tell, I make tight Hospital corners and detailed origins of the front flap of the flat sheet. BUT regardless I still wash the sheets. I get a Lot of Chinese guests that never sleep under the sheets and out of sheer paranoia I will not risk it. But I have to admit the bad part of me daydreams of skipping it, but then my OCD mind yells.

1 Like

You have a great memory - Thanks :slight_smile:

I think that people who make the bed honestly think they are being nice and neat. Or maybe their momma taught them to always make the bed in the morning - my husband makes the bed as he is getting out of it. I donā€™t mind since as others have pointed out, it allows me to see the condition of the sheets.

So far, no one has noticed my secret trick when resetting the pillows. I have two sets of pillows with differing stuffing on the bed, and then there are 2 shams and 3 decorative pillows. The bigger, softer pillows go on the back level, then the shams, then the denser cooling gel foam pillows. Those last pillows are a little heavier, so their weight pushes backwards. I raise the level of the shams so they almost fully cover the big set of pillows. This makes the bed look neater (really, I have 9 pillows, thatā€™s a lot) and itā€™s almost impossible to reproduce later if you didnā€™t notice it when unmaking the bed several days ago. Not that it really matters, Iā€™m just renting the room in my house and no one else makes the bed but me.

4 Likes

At the risk of starting the whole European/American bedding debate again, what are shams for?

2 Likes

To be pretty and match the other pieces!

2 Likes

Just kidding :wink:

Very pretty room, by the way.

2 Likes

Where do people put all those pillows when they want to sleep? I have always wondered what to do with that many pillows? Do you have enough open shelves for both peopleā€™s possessions and the pillows?

I have noticed that many people use both pillows for sleeping. The shams and the small pillows have a space in the closet, or they can be used in the chairs for more back support. I have pillows on the couches in the living room and I see people have used those as well.

When I go to a hotel, I use all the pillows on the bed - even the decorative ones - and so I like to give guests the opportunity to use as much as they need. Everything is washable.

Hi @Artemis,

Iā€™ve got to say, thatā€™s one cozy looking bedroom.

1 Like

My rule: if someone has checked in and stayed, that bed gets stripped when they leave. I donā€™t care if it looks perfect.

Make it crystal clear with your housekeeper that if you have asked them to service a room, they do EVERYTHING in the checklist regardless of whether it looks to have already been done. (As an aside, I suspect youā€™re setting yourselves up for disaster if nobody was quite sure who was servicing that room?)

1 Like

Iā€™ve started to wonder - does the rest of the world think ā€œthisā€ is washing dishes? I know my guests wash dishes, but they are still gross and we have to wash them again!!!

1 Like

Maybe they donā€™t have their ā€œreadersā€ on. It is my biggest pet peeve (other than putting on the damn duvet covers) and it takes a long time to go through ALL of the kitchenware and then I have to run the dishwasher :rage:

1 Like

No, the rest of the world thinks, ā€œIā€™ll just rinse it - theyā€™ll never notice.ā€

2 Likes

When I rent a whole house, I always wash the dishes that weā€™re going to use at first. Iā€™ve seen how some people wash the dishes with some horrible old rag and donā€™t rinse after using the dish soap. No thanks, I rather see the small trouble to wash them myself, than think of this possibility.

2 Likes

There is the biggest problem!

Do you think that maybe this has something to do with guest reviews? They dont want to be left negative reviews so try to make things look as nice as they did when they arrive for fear of being seen as dirty or untidy?

Youā€™d see the ā€œbadā€ review, wouldnā€™t you? Unless they are using their spouseā€™s account.