Guests leaving review

thanks for all the great replies. I only ask guests who’ve said (on their own) that they really enjoyed their stay. This last guest was gushing effusively about how much he liked it so I thought it would be reasonable to ask him if he didn’t mind leaving a review. Oh well.

Review I just wrote:

Great view and location, very clean, & a perfect sleeping set-up for small kids. Thank you!

Wow. Short and sweet. I’m inspired.

I also think people are pushed and pushed on doing reviews and are over it already… Think about it… TripAdvisor, Yelp, Airbnb, Amazon… on and on and on!

They are on review burnout! As we all are!

I only ask the guest for a review if I am POSITIVE they are leaving here glowing. If not positive, I just say thanks for staying with me. I really appreciate it!

3 Likes

Now that I have about 25 reviews under my belt, I stopped worrying about them. All but one set of guests I have had had on Air have written one, and so I generally return the favor. For the one who didn’t, well, they were a mediocre set…neither good nor bad, so i didn’t bother. I don’t like feeling compelled to review someone if I have nothing to say. For the mediocre ones, it’s usually just ‘we are so glad they chose us and had a great stay. We wish them well on their travels.’

What I really want to say is ‘We thank guest x for the $300. We hope never to see them again.’

7 Likes

HahahahahahahahahahHa. You summed it up so perfectly!!! I don’t generally initiate the review either…now that I’m at 80 plus, I’m over it.

As I said, my favorite part of guest stays are the payout and the checkout! :smile: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Since I am booked 2 years in advance, and 99% have a great trip, they leave happy as a lark, then leave a glowing review, then soon start asking when can they come back, and when I send them to the AirBnB calendar they realize they can’t for 2 years. Bummer (aka perfect).

1 Like

Hi @Mearns,

I’m impressed that you are booked two years in advance. What is your magic sauce? Any tips to share? And can you share a link to your listing?

Unusual listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4869137

Plus a little luck (AirBnB ad) - http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-airbnb-pitches-you-fantasy-rental-home-right-out-jungle-book-169520

3 Likes

o my god, what a beautiful place. ALways wanted to go to Belize

2 Likes

Wow. I think I’ve seen that rental before, but I didn’t register that it was you. Did your place appear in an Airbnb ad then?

1 Like

I once had a guest that I went SO above and beyond for, that I couldnt help myself; I wrote and asked them why they chose not to leave a review.
(that I am always interested in feedback)
He replied

I thank you very much, i have received a lot of messages from airbnb that
make me sick, they harras me too much, do that, do that, do that… I never
want to be obliged to do something, so i decided to do nothing, it is not
your fault, you were very kind with us and we spent a good time in your
beautiful home

airbnb is a little boring
thanks for all
xavier

What an ass. I don’t want to be obligated to clean for you either, but I am. People.

1 Like

Boring? Fkn hipsters. LOL.

2 Likes

Has anyone thought it might be, in part, a language issue?

I once contacted a guest and casually mentioned that she was free to leave the review in her language (forget which - Chinese or French) and she promptly wrote the review - in her first language,.

I know for some people, like my husband, having to write something can be agonizing. He does just fine but it takes him forever. I don’t know how many times I’ve said “Did you write that email?” and he’ll say “I started it”. Interestingly he wooed me for the first time with a letter - ah, the old days…

So some people just aren’t prolific with their opinions, like most of us, I dare say, are!

2 Likes

Yes. It was the opening act on their recent ‘Love This, Live There’ ad campaign. What was funny, is that I was booked already anyway, so the exposure forced me to to say ‘sorry, full’ a few hundred times more than normal. Nonetheless, the whole experience was cool; the AirBnB were a terrific group to work with.

2 Likes

Hah, I can practically hear the sound of the entire forum going green with envy simultaneously. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A celeb in our midst! Can I have your autograph?!!

A much better headline/concept than they have now.

This does speak to what I was saying previously… that we are constantly hounded from all four corners to leave a review for this and that. Take surveys, participate in polls.

It gets old after a while and I can see why people just ignore. At this moment I received my third email from Air asking me to review a guest. I may or may not. :wink: