Guests leave terrible review for private space in my home

I stayed in a shared accommodation Airbnb. They posted signs like “employees only” and “for employee use only”.

An update on this. Good news, Airbnb removed the bad review. The not-so-good news. I got the review removed on a technicality. The booking was a 3rd party booking, so the person who posted the review never set foot in my home, the guests were her husband and daughter. Airbnb said that since she was not the guest, she was not entitled to leave the review. Which is great in that this horrible review is removed, but not so great because it was not removed because the guests trespassed and then the person who made the booking left a review of the space they entered which was off-limits, but merely because it was a 3rd party booking. If it had not been a 3rd party booking, I may not have got this review removed.

5 Likes

I will also be updating the security in my home so that guests cannot enter private spaces, as clearly telling them to their face that the space is off-limits does not stop them entering private spaces.

2 Likes

I agree, I should have messaged them on Airbnb as soon as I saw they had entered my son’s appartment. If this ever happens again (and I’m going to update my security to try to prevent occurrence), I will certainly post a message so I have a record.

3 Likes

It’s great that you’ve learned a valuable lesson from this situation. It’s funny how we are perfectly fine with childproofing a home when we have small children but don’t have guest-proof measures in place when complete strangers are in our property.

It’s disappointing that you see basic security as a last resort but your son should also have a responsibility here.

It’s human nature to snoop. If a door is ajar, guests are going to peek in at best and go in at worst. He’s lucky that all they did was use the kitchen. What if they had stolen something of value?

Your son obviously isn’t a child as he lives in an independent space with his partner. He knows that the space next to him is rented out to short-term strangers. It’s him I’d be annoyed with.

Yes, I’m one of the worst in the world for sticking up for my son (who can naturally do no wrong in my eyes) but I really think he’s been let off the hook a bit here.

2 Likes