Guests hanging around the house during daytime

Hi t here,

My guest not only helped himself but offered the (home made muffins) to another. i’d baked them for a particularly nice guest for his last night. People are impulsive when it comes to sweets and alcohol. And I am a glorified babysitter.

I am still working on TV’s, but fridges and microwaves are in each room to circumvent food wars. Got them at auctions and on Kijiji. They are easy to resell, too.

I also do not allow alcohol. My experiences with boozy guests were unpleasant. Nobody seems to mind this rule.

i also do not accept couples. I have 4 rooms and two bathrooms, but it’s a small house. I get a lot of working professionals and MD’s on rotation. I don’t get couples quarreling, noisiness, and men sneaking women in.

With respect to speaking English, each of us must accommodate each other. Congratulations on speaking 5 languages! English is a difficult language to learn, and constantly changing. I speak terrible French, but people were very patient with me. I’ve also used Google Translator so that people can speak comfortably.

Cheers!

@cabinhost - You’ve got her down pat!! You had me rolling on the floor. It’s so like Yana to ask one question after another and making the guest come up with an explanation…sooo like her.

I’ll bet if we were teenagers with Yana as our mother or teacher, we wouldn’t get away with a blessed thing!

I just read your Yana-script again for the umpteenth time. It’s a cheap laugh for me. I love your concluding sentence for her that the guest was just a “fan” of asking for early check in because they are “addicted” to early check in. How did you ever come up with such an exact sound-alike to her reasoning!

Lol. I am not that creative. Those are terms that I recall Yana using in the past, and she had me rolling on the floor. I think one time she was describing someone she knew who used to do laundry non-stop - just wash one or two pieces of clothing at a time. Or she could have been describing someone who cooked a lot too :smile:

Maybe it was the crazy cooks who took over her kitchen?

1 Like

@cabinhost

(Well, you’re still good at doing her. I guess we’re both “fans” and “addicted” to Yana.)

1 Like

I’m now on my third guest in a row that is up all night and sleeping during the day. This woman is here for three nights. It’s so tempting to change to a one night maximum. Having to clean the room more often in exchange for guests whose lifestyle matches my own?

What is she doing in El Paso all night long?

@anon67190644

…sounds like the lead-in to a cowboy song.

2 Likes

She didn’t arrive until after midnight. Then she went out, I don’t know doing what. Maybe to a bar, then out to eat. I wouldn’t have known except for my Ring camera video. I didn’t hear her arrive. She texted me “sorry so late, do I need to check in or anything on the airbnb app?” But the text didn’t wake me up. I woke up at 3 am to go to the bathroom and saw the light on my phone. I could hear the AC running in her room so knew she got in ok, thank goodness. I checked the video this morning. I don’t know for sure but I think she’s in town for a car show, she has a customized car.

A mash up “All Night Long” and “El Paso?” LOL.

Just curious…aren’t your dogs alerted to the comings and goings of late-night guests and bark? It’s great if they don’t, then the guests aren’t spooked but if they did, it would wake you, right?

At night we are in my room, door closed. There is always white noise from HEPA air filter, or fan or AC. We rarely hear anything. Guest room is next to mine but don’t share a wall; there are closets between the rooms.

Occasionally a dog hears something and there is a bark or two. Most of the others don’t react. I think barkers take cues from the non-barkers (including mine). It’s like “oh, no one’s upset, I guess I’ll just lay back down.” I have a squirt bottle ready too. I’m surprised myself how quiet it is. Dogs can be trained not to bark, some people don’t even try to control their dogs.

2 Likes

@cabinhost, i can always rely on you two for a good laugh!!

@justMandi. Thats for sure couples are more noise. I actually changed my listing from 2 person to one. Its such a huge difference in everything. Its so much more quieter, but it diid not stop at times guys to bring a girl back home from a night out. Until i started to hold an introductary speech about us hearing “ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING”. And if i see confused expression meaning a person did not get that i basically tell them not to bring sex partners, i just say it the way it is:::).
I get most guests now longer term like few months.And my condition is so they will have full time job outside the house. The problem sometimes is that sometimes they loose a job and then 24 hours sitting in a house starts until they finally leave.

This is exactly what I am doing. I have a one night minimum. I get lots of guests who stay for several days, but I also do get a fair share of one-nighters.

Yes, this means more cleaning and more washing of sheets and towels - and I don’t even charge a cleaning fee. However, it also means they usually arrive late at night and leave early the next morning, just after breakfast. Since I work from home, this is a huge bonus to me. Guests staying one night do cause some extra work, but I also have extra hours of privacy in my home, which is worth it.

1 Like

I meant to type maximum and have now edited it. Of course someone could instant book two stays, two days in a row if the days were available and they did a general search. I love the multiple days when they are gone all day working or sightseeing. It’s something I think of doing but probably never will do.

2 Likes

Omg that line is brilliant! I just created one of my own in my listing with an added touch. Thank you because right now I am hosting the most annoying Millenial I’ve ever had … she’s in here all day, every day and I have 20 days left of this person. She will invade our Thanksgiving Holiday with her presence, walking up and down the hallways all day in pajamas. I do not understand why someone so young would travel this far to NYC from a 12 hour flight just to stalk me in the kitchen all day.

I love hosting but some people are unreasonable and do not think. It seems she needed a hotel or a space where the host does not LIVE and WORK from home. It also appear she didn’t read my listing at all. I’m spent at this point.

“I have in my description, not that people read the descriptions that my home is not a luxurious getaway, best for guests who plan on being out exploring nature, yet want to come home to a comfortable, safe, quiet sanctuary.”

Brilliant.

Yeah I know it’s an old post, but if you said that to me, after I’ve paid my money for the space, I’d tell you to feck off. Politely of course.

JF

1 Like

Maybe hosting in your own house isn’t for you.

JF

1 Like

What did she say about plans for her stay when you asked her when she booked @Michelle_Carvalho

Did she confirm to you that she was planning to spend most of her time out exploring?

And how did it go? Apologies and I will erase this if you answer later in this thread.

We don’t mind guests who hang around during the day. Our house is big, and it works out fine.

We’ve had two or three guests who came here for R&R, including a lot of reading, swimming in our pool, hanging out with our dogs, piano-playing, and movie-watching.

It was all fine.