Guests from India and what’s the deal with toilets?

That’s wonderful. The muckiest ones I have been in - and I have travelled to other countries, including Africa, quite a lot - have been in the USA.

Wow! You spent a lot of time dissecting my post! Great job!

3 Likes

Thank you.

You also ignored all
The name calling. Isn’t that against
The rules? I find it interesting you pointed out areas in my post you find
Disconcerting, bit ignored the nasty responses. Perhaps you need to do more dissecting before you work so hard On just one
Post.

Does that apply to hosts as well, only to guests or only to guests who are from other countries?

Since these were your first foreign guests you’ll probably get better over time. I’ve hosted over 400 guests and I’m still having guests that surprise me.

Common courtesy and respect on both sides should be part of the Airbnb experience, don’t you think?

1 Like

Unfortunately @mon38rider I learnt early on, that courtesy and respect by guests or hosts is not always part of the Airbnb experience. Forums are littered with examples of awful guest and host experiences.

I don’t think there is anything your related about these guests from India that wasn’t courteous or respectful. They just didn’t understand how some things worked at your property.

If you don’t have it already perhaps look at some instructions with photos for guests whose first language isn’t English to help with issues such as your keyless entry.

Your post was more odd than the toilet flushing. Maybe they were throwing up vomit. Perhaps the other end was…you get it, I’m sure. But please show more sensitivity next time. Your ignorance shined through.

Probably were just checking to see if the toilet flushes the “correct American way”

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode from their visit to Australia where in the US Embassy the plumbing flushed the toilet, with some jiggery pokery, the the correct “American” way

1 Like

TuMo - I have worked with engineers all my life and am married to one! Don’t mean to offend anyone but no, engineers do not have common sense!

3 Likes

No, actually it’s true. My wife’s family is from India and the vast majority of Indians don’t have access to modern toilets. They may have indoor plumbing, but for most of them - especially the poor (which is most of India) and those in rural areas… their toilet is a hole in the floor. Even my wife’s family didn’t have a modern toilet until she was in her mid 20s.

It makes perfect sense that her guest from India would be fascinated with the toilet! Not that they had never seen one but more than likely, they had never had one.

As the husband of an Indian wife, I have to say it is you who come across as completely devoid of awareness of other cultures and therefore distressingly ignorant. Possibly if you actually knew about the toilet situation in India you would have understood. When I read this I immediately understood where her guests were coming from and didn’t find anything ignorant about her post at all!

How in the world is it culturally insensitive to write a post about a guest who has a certain reaction to something because of how different it is from their own country??? Why is that culturally “insensitive”?

It’s actually quite normal for people to have various reactions to things based on what they’re accustomed to. When people come from countries that have predominately third-world plumbing as they do in India… it’s normal they’d be fascinated by modern toilets.

Oh and wait… I bet somebody’s getting ready to pounce on me for saying "third-world. Well, don’t bother. I’m using the dictionary definition of third world:

“1.the underdeveloped nations of the world, especially those with widespread poverty.”

Go there and come back and tell me it’s not underdeveloped and suffering from widespread poverty.

10 Likes

@JonYork
I, too, found all the outrage and name-calling on this thread bizarre so you won’t hear it from me.

I have also travelled and found toilet accommodations to be something I wasn’t accustomed to. In the most unusual case it was the public bathroom in a rural bus station in Northern China. It was basically a trough with constantly running water where you had to do a balanced squat while hoping you wouldn’t fall in. If I hadn’t been the only female in my party, I would have been marveling over it, too.

Sewer plumbing from the house was also a marvel when I lived in Southern Iran in 1976-1977. Every weekend we would have to pull the covers off the sewer trough outside the house and wash what was accumulated there down to the street sewer connection.

Many areas of the world are different than “home”, no matter where home is.

4 Likes

Well said @JonYork

I was fascinated by the toilets I saw in Europe, and in certain regions of Spain where there was lack of toilet paper everywhere! Until I learned I needed to carry some with me…lol.

When I spent a few months in Spain, I was completely fascinated when I first arrived and saw hams hanging openly everywhere…like everywhere I turned. I finally got over my fascination. but another student who was giving me the initial tour just kept looking at me funny as he could not understand why I was so fascinated.

And my Spanish roommates and I had an absolute ball discussing cultural differences. They had so many questions like “Americans like hamburgers and they drink Coca Cola…right?” - or "Is it true that kids in high school have lockers or is that just on that show Saved by the Bell? OR - One night we are all watching a movie and people were wearing cowboy hats. The girl asked if that is real in America or just a costume.

We even would do fake interviews to practice our English and Spanish. And we would bust out laughing on the floor at each others responses and what is acceptable in America versus Spain to legally ask and what a typical reply would be.

Not once was I offended at any one of them for having their stereotypes about Americans. It was wonderful to share anything with them that they were curious about.

It was the best time I had in my life constantly exchanging with different cultures. And the Asians that were studying abroad flocked to me and we equally shared our cultures. And my one roommate from Hong Kong would…if someone said she was from China. - oh Boy…she’d try to correct them to say she was NOT from China, but from Hong Kong. And she explained why she preferred to disassociate herself.

I learned a lot from that experience, and also from the posts on this forum that have exposed me to things I otherwise would have no idea about. I find all of it interesting…

5 Likes

When i visited South Korea my place (shared) had bidet toilet. It had a button to lift seat without touching, temperature adjustable heated seat, sprayed nice warm water, and even had music. My partner and I took turns to test out that toilet and even took photos because we were simply fascinated.

Now this post makes me think that perhaps our host also thought that we were weirdos…

6 Likes

Nah…I doubt your host thought you weirdos…the same as the OP of this thread in no way thought her guests were weirdos…was just sharing a story, and was probably equally intrigued by their fascination :smile:

However, now I am fascinated by the toilet and music. How did this play? Do you get to select a song based on which business you are doing on the toilet? I can’t resist asking…lol.

1 Like

My Ding-a-ling?

1 Like

LOL!

This was all before my time…but it is hilarious to watch the audience of Chuck Berry performing, and in unison they all sing “I wan’t you to play with my ding - a ling” :joy:

1 Like

I saw him in Bristol years ago and he made us sing it! Lol.

1 Like

If you are having a hard time taking your poo in the morning…I guess this one is good play:

1 Like

select a track from your iPlop

2 Likes