Guests expect more but want to pay less / Market saturation, Rates going down

My guess? Those diamond earrings were cubic zirconias.

2 Likes

I thought that too, possibly - but she was INCREDIBLY grateful that I notified her and she came running back for them - plus they were small studs, perhaps .25 carat each - leading me to think they may have been diamonds - but who knows? I can’t believe jingly dog tags could keep her up all night! That was a first for me!

Many times I do not read my reviews because of guests like the ones you mentioned. I am usually very busy and do not want a review to upset or distract me.

3 Likes

It was great to read this thread as we’ve been experiencing market saturation and a slump in bookings since last year. Have tried many different things to get more bookings but the price point that our competitors are offering are just not workable sometimes. :weary: Some of them are surely losing money, I don’t know how they do it! But we are trying to hang in there as much as we can while not going too low on pricing.

It was also very interesting to read all the extra amenities that different hosts provide and how guests have responded. We provide toilet paper, soap, shampoo, a big bottle of bottled water in the fridge, and dishwashing soap since we have a kitchen. Also have a blow dryer and a first aid kit available if they need it.

@Cinderelle what an ungrateful guest! :angry:
@konacoconutz unbelievable stories about the “should’ve been organic Kona coffee” and the non-GMO non-gluten free bagel. WTH?! :unamused:

I’m new to the forum so I hope you guys don’t mind me chiming in so late. :blush:

4 Likes

Please tell me that this is a home with more than one room rented out.

I have a 4 bedroom house and rent out 3 rooms

1 Like

Whew! It’s cool to know you have honest guests too. It’s a shame the guest who left the earrings was unkind. I board dogs here in addition to having my own. Sometime in the first year a guest told me they could hear the dog tags. Luckily they didn’t take off stars in their review. I take their collars off at night.

Just wondering why you or your manager didn’t notice these when doing the turnover?

I already asked that question, sort of…she rents out 3 bedrooms so it was another guest, not the next guest. :wink:

Sorry, missed that. I should pay more attention. :slight_smile:

1 Like

what do you mean? 3 bedrooms rented out - sharing bathrooms - one person used the bathroom, then checked out and left - another guest who was staying more days went in after her/

What I mean is who is looking after your place? Is no-one checking the place to see if guests leave belongings? Isn’t there a cleaning person or someone who oversees the rentals?

I live here, I do have cleaning people weekly but in between - I don’t go into the bathroom every time someone leaves the bathroom. The bathrooms are shared and if someone leaves something behind - it’s the honor system - I don’t claim responsibility for left behind items. I appreciated the guest who noticed the diamond earrings on the counter - they could’ve easily disappeared!

1 Like

It might be a good idea to check the bathroom when a guest leaves? (And the bedroom). I find that periodically guests do leave belongings behind and it’s a PITA to sent them via the mail. I check the rental as soon as guests leave so that I can alert them quickly to any belongings they might have missed.

2 Likes

I do too, and STILL miss items.

2 Likes

I mean, who plugs in their charger BEHIND the fridge when there are three other strips in the room?

1 Like