Guests eating meals in bedroom

Yep it would be nice to think all the slightly imperfect stuff was charitied but most likely its just recycled for rags if we’re lucky. There are also environmental as well as financial costs to eating in bedrooms!

70s nylon sheets could give you an electric shock from the static.

100% cotton bedding is the most comfortable because it is absorbent. It does not cause sweating like polyester. (Loads of people like cotton underwear too!) It makes for a vastly superior sleep. It’s not necessary a British thing, hotels almost always use cotton sheets.
Cotton bedding doesn’t necessarily require ironing. A tumble dryer would work, loads of people use them anyway. Fitted sheets and pillow cases are so tight any creases would pull out. You might want to steam the top of a duvet cover though. There are also types of cotton which don’t crease or cotton rich with about 20% polyester to stop creases. I don’t mind a few creases, it’s a sign of wholesome bedding.
The reason why polyester bedding is promoted so widely is it’s cheap to make. It’s basically spun plastic. Cotton obviously has to be grown.

My crushed velvet bed does that to me, massive shock to the feet every time I strip it! Never fails to make me shout and swear

1 Like

Hi there, Scuba,

It’s up to my guests where they want to eat. There is a kitchen table, a patio table, and there is a fridge and microwave in each room.

My house is 120 years old and it states openly on my rules that exposed food will attract vermin; therefore, food either should be covered, or popped in the fridge. And you know something? People have been really good about it! I’ve got plastic containers, etc. and it works quite well. They take pizza boxes out to the garbage, etc.

Yes, I’ve had food stains, including Kraft Dinner from a perfectly delightful but messy guest who stayed here 6 weeks. It took Spray 9 to get out the stain, but it worked.

As far as vermin is concerned, I’m a groupie at the industrial cleaning supply house here, and touch wood, we’ve managed just fine.

2 Likes

My house is about that age too. I have never thought of my house having any more vermin than a newer house. Surely it’s the uncovered food that’s a problem wherever you are?
I hope so cos my cat’s too old to be a mouser now. Mind you he’d help himself to the food anyways.

I have mice as we speak. I think they like the air conditioning. I want to blame a previous guest for leaving the door open all the time. But the truth is that the old traps also probably ran out of bait! Lord knows what they are eating because everything is covered. Bought new traps yesterday and am phasing them in w the 4 changeouts over the next 48 hours.

Tricky. Might your insurance help?

You and I are so on the same page!

1 Like

Silverfish eat paper and can be brought in by guests, especially if they have been working on old documents that have been stored in a warehouse. My 80 year old house has some tiny beetles that hatch in the basement every spring, but a little diatomaceous earth gets rid of them.

Silverfish only survive in the damp.

I even don’t allow my guest to eat in the bedroom. I have a specific place where I always intended them to set and eat foods.

I tell guests that I am happy for them to bring in takeaways but ask them not to eat in the bedrooms. My 400 year old house would soon harbour mice etc if they had an incentive to get in! In 33 years I have had no problems. However, I am a traditional B&B and live here, not an apartment owning Airbnb host.