Guests concerned about internet

" fin shot" ??? No idea where that came from or what it means!!! Gremlins in my iPhone!

1 Like

Yes I get that but it’s still odd. When reading it made me think, are they going hunting or fishing or planning on hiding a body like @Malagachica said.

1 Like

There was another thread about TV at a lake house and some hosts expressed their dismay and judgement about whether or not guests should be watching TV given the location and culture of their various properties. “Why come to the [lake, mountains, city, country, beach] and watch TV?” The fact of the matter is some people really like TV. It lets them feel familiar in an unfamiliar location. Also, keep mind that when families or couples travel they are not necessarily together 24/7. If one wants to watch TV or sports while the other does their thing. When we travel - often in the summer - my husband wants TV and access to sports. But first off he wants TV. And you know what? He wants to see it from the bed, just like home. His money is as green as the next guy, I say.

My advice, more hospitality and less judgement.

2 Likes

I specifically said that the two questions together were odd. And so I find your “advice” more judgmental than anything I said.

Seattle has recreational marijuana and perhaps these two want to get high, stock the freezer with Ben and Jerry’s, and watch TV for three days.

If you don’t allow smoking in your rental that’s probably not a likely scenario, although they could have edibles. But if it’s legal, what’s the problem?

Your judgment about folks who want to watch TV from bed is quite clear. If you don’t want any consumption of legal drugs in your house, too, that’s your right, but it’s not really in the ethos of the hospitality business. Hotels don’t police what folks do in their rooms. I dare say they can go to a non-smoking hotel and eat legal edibles all day long and the hotel does not care. You’re making a judgment, for sure. I just think to be successful in hospitality there should be less of that. There can never be none, but less is what hospitality is.

1 Like

I don’t have access to fast internet, thus no Netflix or similar. Current satellite packages would require a significant monthly fee. As I’ve not watched tv for over 10 years, the offerings were dismal, I don’t choose to offer TV. This is true of just about all the local listings. People are told in the listing there is no tv, no wifi. I’ve had families here and no complaints about lack of either wifi or tv.
I did provide wifi to one group, and they complained it was slow. I had warned them, but they were so desperate and they had booked at a bad time for enjoying the outdoors. They wanted to go on boat tours when the ice had just gone off the lake.
I have two large bookcases filled with a wide variety of books, board games, craft supplies and toys for kids.
People who must have tv will have to book at places that offer that service. It doesn’t make me less hospitable, I just offer a different experience.

2 Likes

Say what? You do not know me and you are so far off base to critique my hospitality when I’m posting in this thread in a spirit of camaraderie with the original poster and with a sense of humor/irony. We show our guests excellent hospitality and are not at all concerned with what they’re doing in the space. They can watch TV from bed, they can eat and do what they want, whatever their thing is. I’m now done defending myself against your assumptions about what I’m judging, and my level of hospitality.

I totally get offering a rustic, semi off-grid experience. I’m in the Catskill Mountains and often travel to other rustic areas. There are lots of options to go to unplugged accommodations in the Catskills. If that’s what your niche, that’s cool. What’s not cool is the judgment of people who want TV and slightly odd action of ‘but they shouldn’t want TV because my family and I don’t watch TV and our location/experience is so great why would they watch TV?’ And complaining publicly that guests asked about TV and what’s up with that? THAT is not hospitality. (Your post doesn’t have any of that.)

If your location is rustic and you want to market yourself as no TV, no WiFi, great. If you’re not in a rustic location, but you just don’t think folks should watch TV, you might want to rethink why your hosting and what your goals are.

2 Likes

Not disagreeing with you. And I see you addressed this ‘niche’ idea in another post.

I have a friend who rents out his place on ABB sporadically, (he’s busy taking care of an elderly relative now and closed it off for the summer) but he specifically caters to Friends of Bill, and those who prefer to stay in a home with no alcohol on premises.

He prefers not to have guests who drink alcohol, as he attends AA meetings regularly, and he lists the local meetings and their proximity to his place on his listing. His guests really love the alcohol free haven he offers.

There is a niche for everything :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Lol. Netflix and chill. Lol

1 Like