Guests complained of slippery steps. Do I need to put down anti-slip strips for hardwood steps?

Thanks for sharing your listing. Seeing the pictures certainly gives a better perspective of what you had initially described, and that the stairs may not be as problematic as initially envisioned.

First, let me say that it really is a beautiful cabin, and I can understand why the guests wanted to stay there.

Before you make changes, I’d suggest that you make some inquiries to future guests and gather their input. I’ve done that a lot, and I’ve made refinements to reflect their suggestions.

If there are additional guests who feel that there is risk of slipping another option to consider is applying a different finish on the treads (if not already there). Attached is one example from a simple google search.

Regarding my prior comment about carpet tile on the tread, if you do go down that path it could offer a nice contrast / compliment to the blond wood (albeit a subjective opinion)

You are much nicer than I am. I wouldn’t call it mean, but if a fellow host had a terrible place I absolutely would let them know and I would review honestly. I don’t think, looking at your listings and reviews that is the case here. It’s someone who didn’t look carefully at your profile and thought they could BS you. He’s clearly a liar. He used the jacuzzi.

I don’t like the stick on strip s. I prefer a runner. To me, a runner looks classy.

I warn guests that the floors ARE slippery, I provide slippers with those rubbery bits on the bottom, I took a serious backwards flip fall a few years ago. I live on the coast of BC, frosty, icy outdoor stairs are a fact of life, so I have nailed down this tight weave fencing product, not too attractive but it makes all the difference. There is also a bucket of salt at the bottom and top of stairs. In the house I put carpet runner on the stairs…I just don’t want a law suit if someone slips, there is enough stress in the world! I can live with ugly stairs!!:dizzy_face:

Your place is quite lovely! I have always loved knotty pine. I had no idea where Dahlonega was and had to pan out of the map several times to see its in Georgia.

As far as the steps, there are some cool braided oval ones that you could use. Expect to nail or tack them down, which means small holes in your wood, I saw these on ebay
.https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAIDED-JUTE-EARTH-RUGS-STAIR-TREADS-OVAL-NEW-8-X28/123491722866?hash=item1cc0ae2672:g:5EsAAOSwp7FaiLeS:rk:7:pf:0

I need something to add to the trailer steps we built ( not in current photo) which are custom/ ebony stained redwood and likely to be hot in the summer…

I bought these Amazon ones for my 2nd Airbnb-in-process. Tiny rowhouse, stairs are open, industrial “raw wood.” Me and the adult children were arguing about the esthetics, and the older one, who is in the design field, ended the discussion by saying, “This isn’t a design issue, it’s a safety issue, just install them.”

2 Likes

I felt the same way about - of all things - providing one of those horrible non-slip mats that goes in the bottom of the tub for when people are showering. There’s no way that I’d have one in my own home. But a guest suggested it in the private feedback. And the more I thought about someone slipping and cracking their head on the side of the tub, the less the aesthetics of the whole thing bothered me…

2 Likes

Thank you @gypsy. Those surely look nice! I had decided earlier (before seeing your post) to just bite the bullet and buy those ugly strips since they seem to serve the most amount of function… Thank you for the nice words you said about my cabin!

There are quite a few on ebay, Happily, some not as plain, homey type colors, variation etc. Look up “braided stair treads”. I think they might look nice for your style and application.

I thought about them very strongly for mine, design and looks wise<><> even though they are meant to be interior only. I’d love to find some braided coir or resistant natural like jute only made up as a stair tread:) I guess price should be no object as I only need 4…

Jaquo, lucky for me my “tub” shower bottom, even though it’s an odd shape, I found a beautiful teak slatted bath thingy and recut it just a little bit. It’s very classy looking and you can’t see the ugly old drain… yippee for that cl find:)

1 Like

I had some friends in Somerset who owned a 17th century manor house where the grand wooden stairway steps were so worn by use there were grooves in them. Always people slipping down especially in the morning going to the bathroom landing in bare feet or slippers (hence the name I guess). They did warn people. Some people like me seem to have particularly smooth soles (and souls). Depending on the law warning people and a sign on the stairs to hold the hand rail might suffice. I did have a couple of older guests who suggested I mark the side of the cement ramp which meets the driveway in black and yellow paint but no one else has mentioned it so I thanked them and ignored them. On the to do list.

1 Like

smooth soul motown rnb xxxxxxxxxx
I have painted the edges of our multi level patio with glow in dark paint visible yellow art daytime, I still need signs I guess…

2 Likes

My July guests moved in and started complaining about something twice a day, every single day. Fridge doesn’t make ice, bulb in laundry blinking, there is dust around AC filter, pool is not clean enough, there are not enough channels on TV, etc…
After 2 weeks I told them that they are making my life miserable, seriously. I wake up stressed out and go to sleep the same way. I paid 100$ to someone to clean dust and fix the blinking light. My pool guy sent me a picture of absolutely clean pool, I never knew about certain channels they need, why not inquire before you book .
Anyway after that I asked them if they want to find something else. They booked for 2 months , why make everyone miserable and continue. After that all complains stopped. They sent me peaceful message and even appologized. Then at the end of 2 months they extended their stay for another 2 weeks and we parted on good terms.

By the way I have marble stairs and kids of my friends fell there quite often when they were little. But my guests nwwve said anything about them being slipery

1 Like

Yana,
I had a job once where the designer was making me miserable and complaining and confronting me every day. Finally I had enough and stood up for myself and told her she was going to loose her patternmaker if she couldn’t be respectful. Things changed abruptly after that and she was friendly and sweet as a pussy cat.
Some people just need to see the option they are deserving.

Good for you! People will treat you how you let them. It took me awhile to learn how to keep my calm

I have used the " sorry you’re not happy here/Airbnb can relocate you immediately with no penalty" tack a number of times. They don’t bite because the other places will be more expensive. And they become a lot nicer to deal with.

2 Likes

OMG those guests turned out to be such a-holes. So there’s more to the story. When my cleaner showed up the day of their checkout, she told me she’s quitting. I was so angry that she was quitting I didn’t talk to her for a few days. Finally talked to her to find out the guests left the whole place a COMPLETE MESS. And that’s why she’s quitting. She just can’t handle guests like that. I ended up having to spend $50 more than usual on cleaning (I do have other cleaners so there’s no huge issue there. and I had a few days before next rental coming in.) Initially I was just hoping my cleaner would change her mind so I didn’t send my other cleaners until yesterday. Those guests had the audacity to talk about how familiar they are with this business and how many rentals they have on air bnb themselves… Wow Wow Wow…