Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

No breakfast is required on AIRbnb. Most AIRbnb’s that I’ve stayed in or looked at their listings don’t provide breakfast.

Full start. You are incorrect. You do NOT have to serve breakfast. Full stop.

K9, I have a question about this little fridge. I know the post is from 2016!
I have a full size one in my guest suite but wonder when the time comes if I should replace it with something smaller. I have shopped for these and see the ratings for energy efficiency are far lower on the little ones. Do the small fridges cost less to run or more? They are not rated very well!

I got one that was “energy star” rated but I honestly don’t know how much it’s costing me. I have a window AC in the room as well. My electric bill goes way up in the summer but I don’t know how much each appliance plus all the ones in my part of the house are costing. It can’t be more a dollar a day. For a studio like yours I wouldn’t go with one that’s too small. With people staying several days and being far from stores you don’t want to piss people off with a fridge too small to hold all their stuff.

That’s an excellent point. It’s maybe a hundred or so more to go with a bigger one. It can be slightly smaller than the one I have now, which is an 18 I think. Plus the delivery is easier and they take the old one away.

Is the old one still working? Around here if I had a working fridge I’d list it on craigslist and sell it. In your situation I’d probably get one of those 10-11 cubic ft. ones.

I am willing to concede the Airbnb movement is redefining travel as we know it, and thus is redefining traditional definitions of terms. Under that context, I will agree an ‘airbnb’ listing is its own entity which cannot be compared to bed and breakfasts. However, I still reserve the right to my opinion that true hospitality for travelers should include nutrition to sustain the guest on their next day of adventures. The essence of hospitality is anticipating the guest’s needs. I think the quote from The Airbnb Story “…there are missionaries and mercenaries. The missionaries will always win out.” So really it comes down to which of these two are you?

It’s still working. I unplug it when I don’t have guests. I have the entire month of March blocked, plus I need to fix the toilet leak before any more guests come in. I only have TA guests upcoming. Feels like a relief!

I know I could put it on FB or CL but it’s down stairs so whoever got it would have to schlep it up the stairs. Just easier to pay the 15 dollar haul away rather than deal with all that.

Huh? We are under no obligation to feed anyone. I’m renting a separate suite and I state that food and provisions are the responsibility of the guest. I provide unadvertised coffee and tea and that’s it.

I’m not going to let the founders guilt me into providing breakfast. Especially by way of a silly quote like that.

Hawaii has a long history of missionaries who were also mercenaries. Just drive down any road of any length to see all the churches that date back to the 19th century. Native Hawaiians were guilted by the missionaries to not speak their language, give up their culture and dance and eschew their former religions. Give themselves instead over to the church.

Airbnb would love to see you do lots of things. Sorry, ain’t happening. Thus, the live like a local and sleep in their bed campaigns which always disgruntled and disgusted me.

I’m not making crepes and flipping burgers with guests out of obligation. There are some rare guests whom I enjoy wine, cheese and conversation with. But that always happens organically, not because I feel a sense of obligation.

The food thing is fraught. I did try it. It failed. Guests complained about what I served. So now they are on their own.

And before you accuse me of not being hospitable, I’m a super host with constant compliments about my hospitality and helpfulness. I joined Air in 2009 before anyone had ever heard of it and when my mom worried about me renting to people “off the internet.” :rofl:No one complains about the food that’s not being offered …and that’s the way I want it.

Hospitality comes in many forms. Yours may be oatmeal, but mine is in offering the guest an affordable place in Hawaii and a million tips to make the most of their short time on this beautiful island.

1 Like

“People who may eat all organic fruit, gluten-free sprouted Ezekiel bread, cage free eggs, fresh organic squeezed orange juice with lactose free milk, everything must not contain GMOs, are not the kind of guests I see using Airbnb.”

You obviously don’t live in L.A. mate

1 Like

Bahahahaha, I had guests who marked me down for not having organic available. Not as bad as that list however! So now I offer nothing!

You people spoil these guest forget breakfast there renting a space and only a space. Why don’t u massage them as well. Some of these guest are really nit picking. I’m so different I would never demand anything from a host I would just appreciate the savings for the night stay compared to a hotel. What guest don’t realize is Airbnb is a privilege not a right. I’m a super host in Fl and only had one bad experience in 2 years so all in all everything is great. Stop offering more than u should. Your not an slave to ur guest

There are many ways to be an AirBNB host. Some of us offer breakfast. Some do not.

Something went wrong here. You replied to me, quoting something someone else wrote.

Apart from that, I do still offer breakfast to all of my guests, and if someone asks for gluten-free breakfast, well, I go into my local supermarket and buy gluten-free stuff to serve for breakfast. That’s just the way I see true hospitality.

hello from 2022. I just had an enquiry today asking me what i’m serving them for breakfast…:woman_facepalming:t2:
EVERYONE is NOT on Airbnb. 50% of my guests are utter newbies.