Guests complain because I don't serve breakfast - Not a true Airbnb they say

EB! You nailed it!!! This is exactly why I dislike the new campaign SO MUCH.

Please. “Don’t go there. LIVE there.” If that doesn’t set expectations, I don’t know what does.

2 Likes

Have had 4 guests for the last week, one went and so have three now. I leave a good size breakfast, but was noticing that the all the fruit, all the chocolate croissants, all the crackers were getting used everyday. Just thought, they were a hungry bunch. Until today, when I cleaned one of the rooms with prior consent.

One guest had 2 toilet rolls in his room, cheaper than tissue paper obviously, a bag with pears, a bag with apples, a bag with banana’s, two croissants and crackers. Your man was obviously taking food away from breakfast and having it later after he had eaten breakfast at the table. He had toast and muesli today as I saw him eat it. You might think, poor student, but he is an older guest who is in town to invest half a million euro’s. He went out for a bite to eat the other day and came home with a doggie bag and is eating it, the last 2 days. He called himself a miserable whore, kinda seeing where he is coming from

1 Like

Every few months you read a story of some miser whose passed away in decripitude and they learn he or she has hundreds of thousands or even millions stashed away. He probably called himself a miserable hoarder, not whore. LOL.

3 Likes

This is cracking me up…lol. He sounds like one of those hotel guests who swipe all the mini toiletries, just so hotel staff can replace them all. Then he swipes then all again…lol.

You better get 5 stars for value!!

1 Like

I had a great uncle like that k9, he would not light the fire to save money, he left thousands when he died and all his nieces had a ball and went on a cruise around the world.

There is still a few bits left in the bag in the fridge, just wondering how long will he make it last. Husband said he mixed it baked beans yesterday, yum yum NOT There are about 30 restaurants close to us so no excuse. He nicked my sandwiches bags to store his/my fruit.

I don’t get staying in a private room when you half a million in your account, am nice but not that special. He is going to one of those guests that you could write a book about.

Definitely going to check his room before he goes Cabinhost, 3 weeks and 2 days left. He is a first timer airbnb, and he is mixing us up with a hotel. Asked me to iron for him, I told him I don’t iron, the husband does it ( which he does) then he asked would I wash his clothes for him.

2 Likes

Is this a joke? Did he insist on it?

Being a professional cheapskate is probably why he has the millions. :smiley:

Most people do not know it, but if you would follow the law, taking those mini things from the hotel is theft.
There would never be no hotel that would get the police involved over this, but by law you are not allowed to take them, only use them inside the hotel.

1 Like

What law, in what country?

Consumer laws in most western countries.
This is based on the fact that you are allowed to take what you need, but not take any surplus.

You can compare with an all you can eat buffet, you are allowed to take all you can eat, but not allowed to fill your bags and take everything with you to eat the whole week.

In reality no hotel will ever sue anyone over this (never happened, and never will happen) everybody does this, and they trow away the opened things anyway.

But it is just a funny fact hardly anyone is aware of.

That’s it, I would be in the back of a limo getting foot massages eating strawberries and cream

1 Like

I am an airbnb host in Croatia (Zagreb) and doing this 2,5 years. Sorry for a bad English :slight_smile: Since last year, all my focus is on doing just airbnb and making travelers feel good as much is it possible. Idea of airbnb is to SHARE your HOME, interaction with local people, more personal experience etc. We are not a hotel. Hosts should became friends with their guests and provide them a homey feeling while staying with them. Last couple of Months I offer them breakfast as an extra offer (4 euro). So who wants to have a breakfast-will have it! When they arrive, they find in their room a reservation form. They can create their favorite breakfast by choosing up to 5 ingredients from that list (cereal, butter and jam, eggs, cheese plate, season fruit etc). They should order it one day in advance (by 10 PM) and choose a time when it will be served (7-12). Feedbacks about this idea are more than great, actually extremely positive. From their experiences it is not so often that hosts are serving a breakfast and they found this AIRmazing (it is cheep, they choose what they would like to eat, everything is fresh and homemade or from a market, it is decorated nicely…). Most important- makes me happy to see them enjoying the food that I prepared them :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was a great idea of charging for breakfast. I personally cant offer it, because of my schedule. I went to Croatia couple years ago. Beautiful country.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Croatia is amazing, indeed!

1 Like

I didn’t think you could do that. I thought that if you don’t leave a review within 14 days then you don’t get the opportunity, and you can’t read the guest review until either you write one yourself or the guest publishes His/hers.
Tell me I’m wrong?

I serve breakfast. As a guest in other airbnbs, if it is truly hosted – the host is there – I really expect coffee or tea in the morning. If my guests just want coffee, I set the timer on the coffee maker for them in the a.m., or if they want tea, I would make it and put it in a thermal carafe for them. As a guest, I usually ask if they at least have coffee. One time, only one night, and I knew ahead, I went into the kitchen to make my coffee with my Starbucks Via and she was calmly sitting there drinking her coffee. How could anybody do that? really. In your case, I’m, sure you specified no breakfast in your amenity list. Airbnb website and app gets harder and harder to use, so they might have missed it or not known how to look for it. I think especially people in other countries are used to the second B always meaning breakfast.

1 Like

Us guys in the UK never want just one cup and often have a pot…what are you like :slight_smile:

No-one in the UK would boil water in a saucepan…a kettle is more environmentally friendly as you boil what you need, generally quicker, no danger of boiling dry and has a spout for easy pouring…a bit of a no brainer …

1 Like

It’s okay with me if someone from another country finds my kitchen “odd.” I live in the United States, and I personally don’t have an electric kettle. When my guests ask where to boil water for tea, I show them the kettle on the stove. Nobody from any country has scoffed at it.

1 Like

An electric kettle, meaning you plug in the kettle instead of putting it on the stove? Assuming one is going to use a kettle, why would one that goes on the stove not be good enough?

I had one guest from “the Commonwealth” note about lack of kettle. I noted that they also used 24 hour time in all correspondence. I get that 24 hour time is a more sensical system than AM/PM system we Americans use, and also that the metric system is superior too, but I think when you are travelling, etiquette is you should adjust a little to the place you are travelling too, especially for obvious things. Putting a mug in the microwave to heat water seems like another one of those things.

as a tea drinker, I can say, heating the water in the microwave just doesn’t make a decent cup of tea. I don’t know why. In a pinch I’ll heat one cup of water in the microwave, then, pour it over the tea bag into another cup.

But, your point is valid - “when in Rome” - but I think the other point is, how to be more hospitable, and how to create an environment as comfortable for our international guests as possible.

Either one works - your listing, your style. Personally, I enjoy the latter. It’s more fun.

1 Like