Guests changing reservations-just venting

Hope you got to keep the payout.

LET. IT. GO. Literally. Stop overthinking and overworrying. It’s a business decision. No reason why it should upset you. A guest’s change of circumstance or failure to plan is not your fault, and you are not responsible for fixing it. And stop worrying about reviews. If you don’t develop a thick skin, you won’t survive in this business.

5 Likes

Listing > Listing basics > listing space > Listing description > edit - then add in the space section.

2 Likes

that is the best outcome of all

1 Like

I had the same. A guest requesting a change from 4 days mid week, due to his GF getting Covid (maybe) in Winter to the only three day long weekend till Spring. I said yes but it’s the last time.

Absolutely. My wording when I can’t accommodate a change is something like “Oh dear! No, we can’t” but then I always follow it with, “I realize this is a deal-breaker. Please do go ahead and cancel so you can find something that will work with your new plans.”
Sometimes I add, “We do have a wait list, so it is no trouble.” You could do that, too, I see.
A couple of things: Although I am Canadian (known for our nasal “sorry”), I never say sorry when I’m not sorry when it is business, and I never explain my reasons (long weekend, will lose money, whatever), as they don’t care. And the “go ahead and cancel” puts the ball in their court.
So far so good.

7 Likes

Did you make the holiday weekend minimum 4 days booking. I go through the calendar for the next year making sure holiday weekends have the appropriate minimum. Then you can reply that that’s the rule if anyone requests a shorter stay. But perhaps you did do that? Glad to hear it’s sorted anyway. Caroline