Guests agreeing to custom house rules. Reality or illusion?

The other day a guest and my husband were sitting around the bonfire. Guest says “can I offer you a cigar” husband says “no thanks you go ahead”. I have in my house rules in 3 places that we don’t allow smoking inside or anywhere outside on the property. Bad husband. :grimacing:.

1 Like

I agree that there are more problems with a remote host. Do you get mostly tourists? Are you near a beach? I’ve never had problems either and I’ve had about 140 guests. Not only do I rent a room in my house but almost all are one nighters. They aren’t here to party, they are just driving through. I keep thinking my “luck” is related to hosting travellers as opposed to tourists but I’m open to being wrong and trying to figure out where my “luck” derives from.

Exactly as you described K9… Your place is just a pass through situation. The guests aren’t there long enough to be bad or break rules. :smile:

Well you were sitting around a fire lol, that could have confused said husband!

Yes K9, resort area near beaches. I have min 2 nights for both listings and get typically weekend up to 1 week bookings. I get a real mix of foreign tourists, foreigners living in Australia and local Australians. And I love it. They’ve all been pretty respectful, interesting and quiet.

1 Like

Maybe and maybe not. I’m not waiting for them to break rules and will keep expecting the best :slight_smile: What are the main rules for you that they break?

I mostly had good guests, but still i had few that were breaking rules by not reading, like briniging more people or children, or pets, and then lying to my face that it says there that i allow pets.I would not let them in a house.
Or there was a girl who insisted on cooking, Though my rules said no to cooking.

1 Like

Most are pretty good lately actually. In the past though they’ve brought extra guests, partied loudly, wasted water and left the apartment messy and trash in it. Also there were early check ins and lack of communication about when they were getting here… Admittedly I wasn’t tough enough with them and things got better the firmer I was with them.

3 Likes

I don’t have many rules, but the 1 most frequently broken is leaving the kitchen by 10pm, I often have to go down at 10:30pm and kick them out of the kitchen - just did that tonight! I usually tell them when they arrive they need finish up in kitchen by 10pm and remind them that its in the house rules. It does feel a bit like a shitty landlord, when people are paying what seems like so much to stay here, but its better than lying there with the kitchen smells and the noise and talking right under my bedroom!

2 Likes

It’s funny, as a newbie, I’m both inspired and worried by that fact :slight_smile:

1 Like

Omg, take the kitchen off your amenities! They don’t need a kitchen and you won’t get less bookings because of it.

2 Likes

I had to add a rule to finishing barbecuing by 10pm… Because some embeciles thought it was ok to come home from a long day of sightseeing and fire up the grille at midnight, waking up my whole damn house and the neighbors too.

1 Like

If I where you I would just forbid kitchen altogether. I think you are getting mostly money savers, budget travelers. Just say no to the kitchen, and your broblem
is solved .
I know exactly what you mean, it was not just cooking, it was all other issues accompanying cooking

3 Likes

Nah - I have to offer the kitchen. I live in the middle of nowhere. No shops, no bars, no where to eat. Just mountains. Its remote.

Beautifully hilarious.