Guest with no reviews was able to IB me!

@jaquo I ran into this when trying to find an IT job 15 years ago, in my early 60s. All the interviewers were twentysomething Java folks, who needed a database management type. They were skeptical that I would know anything about SQL, which I learned when it was new.

I had quite a number of younger folks that thought I could never learn anything new, when I’ve always been the kinda guy that would read computer manuals at breakfast.

4 Likes

Remember that they think they invented sex too. :rofl:

4 Likes

@jaquo They may not think they invented sex, but they do think they invented what they now call “polyamory” . My niece came to stay with me when she was about 20, and in the course of conversation one day which had to do with boys and sex, she mentioned polyamory. I told her I wasn’t familiar with that term and she explained that it meant having openly sexual relationships with more than one person at the same time, and that it was a thing many of her friends were trying out. And that it wasn’t working out that well for a few of her friends, that one would get jealous.

I said “Oh, seriously, you guys think you invented that? Didn’t you guys ever hear of the 60’s and free love? Jealousy was “uncool” and we should all be free to love and have sex with more than one person? We tried that. Listen dear, if it “worked”, everyone would still be doing it.”

BTW, I don’t think it’s unfair or untrue to say that not being computer savvy is something that tends to be more prevalent among the older generation. That doesn’t mean that tons of older folks aren’t quite proficient with such things. My 90 year old stepmom navigates her smart phone like a teenager. But I’m quite sure there are a higher percentage of 70 year olds who aren’t tech savvy than there are non-tech savvy 25 year olds.

Well, we agree to disagree. I am a software engineer. I believe that most professional people do have an online presence.
I personally don’t know anyone who would fill out a profile in a hurry and hope to get results. Airbnb to me forges a match between guest and host that in a way reassembles the match between two people on a dating site. Would you go on a date with a guy who didn’t fill his profile? I clearly sense that if for example I give a lot indian software engineer guests 5 stars Airbnb will send me more of these. And they would have their profiles filled out. Sometimes I checked linkedin too. And fb.
I personally don’t want anyone who didn’t take the time to fill their profile. It’s like the landlord who didn’t do the background report on the tenants. No thanks, did that once ended up with 15k damages. I’m now blowing in yogurt before eating, sort of speak.
Of course anyone does what they want. I’m just saying what I do. I much rather lose a guest that have damage.

1 Like

Another one here who is agreeing to disagree. To me, renting a place to stay for a few days is very different to meeting someone for a date, for a job interview or for a long term rental.

With hotels, traditional b&bs, guesthouses or full house rentals I’ve never been asked about why I’m travelling or what my degree is or whether I’m vegetarian. Also, I suspect that people who are up to no good would have perfect profiles.

I think that online presence isn’t as important these days as it was twenty or even ten years ago. What’s more important is internet reputation and being in charge of your own search results - your LinkedIn, your own website, your Instagram etc. That way, you are showing the world what you want them to see.

Case in point. I had a neighbour whose name, when put into Google, returned just one result - the local cop site and her rap sheet from when she was arrested for DUI complete with photo. Now that’s not controlling your internet presence. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I understand being cautious but it sounds like you’re downright terrified… I don’t think you or the guests may have been a great fit so it was probably for the best.

1 Like

Wow. Sorry, but this is extremely naive. It’s those with pristine profiles you likely HAVE to worry about. The people that are well versed at illegal or otherwise suspect activity are those who maintain an alarmingly perfect false persona, online or otherwise.

4 Likes

Essentially as I was, amongst other hats, but now retired.

I have no social media presence whatsoever. It’s never hindered me from being, on a freelance basis, fully employed for the past thirty odd years until last Feb.

I still get approaches, even after being out for eighteen months.

Lack of social media presence, to many potential employers, is actually a plus point.

JF

3 Likes

I agree with what you have written. But, Airbnb FAVORS GUESTS not hosts, don’t expect help from them, I consider Airbnb a necessary evil, if I had the possibility (smaller better online booking companies) I would go with them. I have had mostly good guests in the past 10 years, but I have had a couple of doosies, and Airbnb TOOK THEIR SIDE. A looong story and not a nice one. I have more than one rental, this one, I took off because of this double crossing dishonest guest who knew how to use the system. I think that with the pretenses that Airbnb have, that we should have more guarantees and be able to evaluate the guest better. Obviously, people have found this loophole and use it. I can’t say it says much for the guest. I would be tempted to cancel and tell them why.

Absolutely. @Cristie_Herman this is what I think exactly. I don’t trust people because I’ve had tenants who caused severe damage. Therefore I prefer to get all info I can on my guests and refuse guests if I feel something off.

4 Likes

I’d be really interested to know from members who would like a lot of services from Airbnb just how much they would be prepared to pay for them?

The trouble is that so many of us wouldn’t be prepared to pay,

1 Like

Send me heads, to put on beds, then keep the feck out of my business.

If I have an issue with a guest, I deal with it. The thought of involving Airbnb in anything other than the payment process consistently turns me to :wine_glass:

I think about it a lot :wink:

JF

4 Likes

I wouldn’t like “a lot of services” from Airbnb- like John, I’ve dealt with the total of 2 guest issues I’ve had myself, it never even occurred to me to involve Airbnb.

However, I’ve had tech issues which took an inordinate amount of time for them to solve, and if I ever got a guest who stayed and then made some bogus complaint to get Airbnb to issue them a refund, I would have to deal with Airbnb.

So I would be willing to pay more if that ensured responsive, competent customer service that didn’t favor the guest, no matter how absurd the guest’s demands. How much more? I’d go for 5-7% service fee. But CS would have to undergo some major changes in attitude.

2 Likes

Sorry, that doesn’t provide the bean counters the numbers they need to file to do their IPO so those long time AirBnB startup employees who took stock or options in return for (in this industry) low pay back then can cash in and retire, really leaving the company in the lurch.

1 Like

What kind of services are we talking about?

Hi, we are fairly new to this. We have been very careful and have refused a few guests when it didn’t feel right or their review was bad. Will i be penalized by airbnb for this, lose my Superhost status. I just get a Spidey-sense something is off and I refuse guests, or if they have no profile to check up on.

@Thunderlake What do you mean by “refuse” guests? You mean you click on decline?

Some hosts say they don’t have any spidey sense, or at least don’t trust themselves to be correct about it, but others say they do and that it’s important to listen to your intuition. Personally I’m in the latter camp. I can tell a lot about guests by the way they communicate.

Declining lowers your acceptance rate and if you decline a lot, Airbnb will send you warnings about suspending your listing, but I haven’t actually read of a host being suspended for that.

Acceptance rate doesn’t factor into Superhost criteria, though.

Are these coming as Trip Requests, or Inquiries? If it’s a Request, you do need to either accept or decline within 24 hrs, but if there is a concrete reason why you can’t accept, as opposed to a feeling, like the guest is asking for you to provide things you don’t, exceed your guest count, bring a pet to a no pets listing, etc., you can try just letting them know why it isn’t suitable and ask them to withdraw the request (so you won’t have to decline).

“Hi XX, Thank you for your request. We cannot accept more guests than our stated maximum- it would violate fire regulations and our insurance. Please withdraw this request asap so you will be free to find a listing that meets your needs.”

If it comes in the form of an Inquiry, never waste a decline on those. Inquiries only require a return message to the guest within 24 hrs.

All guests have a profile- I assume you mean they have no reviews and no profile bio?

A lot of newbie guests are clueless about that stuff, and there is nothing wrong with telling them you need them to upload verified ID to Airbnb and fill out some profile info in order for you to consider their request.

But you can’t just keep declining guests because they have no reviews. If they communicate well with you, that’s the biggie, as far as I’m concerned. If they don’t, and you pick up on some red flags, decline. Newbie guests may need more questioning and info. Make sure they have read your house rules, have entered the correct guest count, are aware of the most important things about your listing, and so on.

I have had several guests who had no reviews, and they were great guests. But I am a home share host, so guests can’t get away with things they might be able to (or think they can) in an entire home, off-site host listing. And my no-review guests weren’t the type to try to get away with anything, anyway.

1 Like

Newbie guests are used to OTA’s like B.con where it is all instant book and hotels don’t ask questions.
This is the direction that Airbnb is heading, every declined booking is a loss for them. So no photos, no last names and no requirement to actually fill out a profile. Anonymity Rules!

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, I mean when I decline or say no to the inquiry to book. I do not have instant book. I will ask for the newbies to fill in bio before I accept. Our airbnb is attached to our home, completely separate, separate everything but agree they couldn’t get away with anything as it is attached to our home. When they say they have two guests, do you ask who the second person is, I read that people ensure they know the name of the second guest, I never have…it usually reads “Ashley” My partner and I are travelling and want to stay the night at your place…blah blah. I appreciate the input.

@Thunderlake I only host 1 guest at a time, so I don’t ask about extras. Once a guest asked if her friend could also stay, for an extra fee, they could bring an air mattress. I just said no, the room wasn’t large enough for 2, and that she should look for a place that accepts 2. She messaged back right away, saying no, no, she still wanted to book, she’d tell her friend to look for a place for herself. She turned out to be a lovely guest.

Only once did a guest assume she could have her boyfriend share the room with her and just bring him. That actually worked out okay, too. She wasn’t scamming, she just didn’t know. I let them both stay- they were sweet.

I’ve never asked to see ID when they arrive, nor ask for full names, because it seems most of my guests have been the type hosts would all like to have- they have full names on their profiles, some bio, real profile photos, most have reviews, etc. I’ve been lucky.

And people come here for a tropical beach vacation- I don’t have issues like some hosts have had with bad guests.