Guest WiFi bandwidth exceeding 500 Mbps - put a cap on it?

A sticker on the window will not keep folks from smoking in your place. A strongly worded house rule about no smoking anywhere on the property will work much better.

An ozone generator should be part of your changeover arsenal. It’s really effective.

There are very few places where one is allowed to smoke inside. One of the problems for smokers is when hosts state no smoking anywhere on the property, even outside. Hosts would be better off, if they have a yard or some outdoor space (as opposed to an apartment) to set up a smoking area outside, far enough away from the house that the smell doesn’t blow in, with a couple of chairs, a table, some cover from the elements, and a container of sand for the butts.

Ugh, no, my property is near other homes in the area, as well as my windows. Cigarettes and pot are not a smell I want nor is it something that my neighbors want to smell. Smoking is an invasive and thoughtless habit that affects others. Additionally, making it easier for people is just not something that I want to do.

1 Like

I aired out the room, put baking soda on the rugs, cleaned all linens and even pillows in hot water with a cup of vinegar in each load.

I put a bowl of white vinegar and water on the nightstand and washed down all my furniture with water, a bit of Dawn, and a splash of vinegar.

People recommend an Ozone generator, but I didn’t get one.

1 Like

I am glad it ended up being something mundane. If your ISP doesn’t have a data cap, I don’t think you’ll hear from them. Gaming consoles have been moving in a digital-only direction and it has created issues for players with limited data speeds and monthly data caps.

The idea of course was to have internet that the guests wouldn’t complain about… These guys now were super happy - not that they mentioned that in the review though :sweat_smile: but yeah. It was a first that guests dragged their gaming console along. Now we know…

Hey, it was just a suggestion for hosts to make their lives easier, not having to try to get rid of the smell of smoke or have issues with guests. Like other things- self-check-in, using IB, it’s not a practical solution for everyone.

However,

that sounds like some moralistic attitude, like not wanting to rent to people with political or religious ideas that don’t align with one’s own views. Or disapproving of guests having sex in one’s home. I’ve actually read posts where hosts opined that it’s rude and disrespectful for guests to engage in sex in their room (even if they weren’t being loud) and that it indicated “a poor upbringing”.

I can assure you that smokers, whether of cigarettes or pot, are going to smoke regardless of it not being made “easier” by anyone.

I tried allowing guests to smoke outside, resulting in cigarette butts scattered in the plant beds, and, when it was raining, a very loose interpretation of “outside,” such as cracking the door or window.

So now it’s no smoking anywhere on the property, with signage inside and out. Even then, found a toilet full of ashes from someone who obvi smoked under the bathroom ceiling vent. I guess being smokers they can’t smell the residual odor, but I can.

1 Like

I learned that from this forum. We’re a no smoking home, but we still get people that smoke. So there’s a “smoking pad” in the parking area. I am serious about them not bringing in the butts to throw them away in the trash, though. We have an ashtray they can use, but most of them use a plastic soda bottle with water in it and they screw the cap back on before they toss it.

That’s too bad. I don’t care if guests smoke, although I certainly don’t want them to smoke inside. I haven’t had many smokers, but there is a table and chair on the balcony with an ashtray, and they have all used that area and never put butts anywhere but in the ashtray.
Of course smokers aren’t going to stand out in the rain, that’s why I mentioned that a smoking area should have some protection from the elements. Like a table that holds an umbrella, or one of those fabric sails that you can attach to trees or something.

Cigarette butts in the trash is one of the most disgusting smells in existence. So a guest thinks they are being good guests and cleaning up and putting the cold butts in the trash. :face_vomiting:

Luckily I haven’t had a smoker in awhile. I’ve also had people who literally stink because the smoke and they leave a smell in the room even though they neither smoked nor vaped in the room. I know this because it was a personal friend of mine.

This is not comparable. You can sit on my front porch and watch Faux News and it won’t affect me at all.

We know. It’s unfortunate all around.

Appreciate the suggestions, but there’s an umbrella table directly outside the door on the guest deck at my rental. Did not stop smoking issues. My hosting experience; my decision to prohibit smoking anywhere on the property. YMMV.

2 Likes

Well I can certainly understand prohibiting smoking altogether if one’s
guests are so disrespectful as to smoke inside when you’ve provided an outdoor covered area for that.

I guess I’ve been lucky in that regard, but that I live in a warm climate, where it’s no hardship to sit outside as far as being cold, or otherwise uncomfortable probably has something to do with it.

Smokers have a habit that will cause cancer. Continuing to smoke endangers their lives. Secondhand smoke also causes cancer. Creating secondhand smoke endangers others’ lives. I see no time when accommodating a smoker benefits them or me.

People arrive at my airbnb expecting a clean and smoke-free environment. Why would I accommodate a smoker anywhere on my property? Who cares that they have a ‘habit’ and require a ‘hit’ every few hours? No way am I going to do anything to aid and comfort someone who has no respect for their health, my health, themselves, or others on my property.