Guest who continues to bring in unauthorized guests...review help requested

What Susan said. When I make deviled eggs from eggs that are too fresh everyone in ear shot gets to hear some very creative cursing. Fortunately, my husband is used to my sailor mouth and my dogs don’t judge.

3 Likes

Stop it! You make me want my own hen-coop and I can’t because I’m urban and don’t have the space plus the foxes and cats would just destroy them. I’ve realised that I have a deep love of hens and my retirement plans are changed. I want a small cottage by the sea with lots and lots of hens and a vegetable patch. And maybe a small brewery in the shed. Heaven.

4 Likes

Teaspoon of bicarbonate in the pot water- shells fall off.

2 Likes

The fresher the eggs, the harder to peel. The ones in the store could be a month old already.

1 Like

I’ve seen some threads go off the rails but from review help to chicken eggs may be the farthest afield. I’m happy to say I have a source for happy chicken eggs. I try not to buy any eggs at the store unless I need them for a recipe. But who knows how long this source will be available.

8 Likes

LOL! It’s why this place is so great. Cluck cluck :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I rarely eat eggs but I’m accustomed to not keeping then in the fridge. I think that since I moved to the US from the UK I’ve continued the practice - luckily I am still alive, :slight_smile:

To make peeling hard boiled eggs easy, just pour out the warm water and soak the eggs in cold water for a few minutes. Never fails. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To hard boil a large number of eggs, place in a steamer for 12 min. I tried this and it works very well, not overcooked, and easier to peel. Steam eggs

1 Like

Do share your deviled egg recipe.

Hi @konacoconutz,

I cook six eggs; put them in a pot with a handful of kosher salt and bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils remove the pot from the heat, put the lid on and set the timer for 12 minutes. Then plunge the eggs in ice water. This method assures that you won’t overcook the yolks. I then mix into the egg yolks: mayonnaise, mustard, celery salt, black pepper, apple cider vinegar and pickle or cornichon juice all to taste. I mix it with a stick blender because if you just mash it you get lumps. Then I put the yolk mixture in the white halves, and sprinkle them with paprika (pimenton dulce if you have it) and chopped green onions or chives.

1 Like

I made scones the other day & mixed up bicarbonate soda with baking soda, they looked so good but inedible:-(

1 Like

Is this a joke? I don’t get it.

It’s not a joke. Here (uk) we have to add either bicarb or baking powder to plain flour to get the desired effect from the flour. Some places in the world sell flour with the stuff already in it. If you mix up the two (as in confuse one for the other; they are both white powders and you can’t tell by sight which is which) and add the wrong one it can be pretty disastrous for your finished baked goods.

1 Like

Unfortunately, most of the premixed which we call self rising flour has baking powder that contains aluminum. This ruins the flavor of baked goods for me. Thankfully, King Arthur Flour has started selling self rising flour with aluminum free baking powder.

Baking soda is bicarbonate soda. Emily must have meant she mixed up bicarbonate with baking powder.

Not trying to be difficult, I’m just reading some bizzare things on the forum today and my head is spinning. Apparently I’m going to have to quit reading this forum because people are now posting fake news and conspiracy theories here too.

1 Like

Is baking soda bicarb? I’m not familiar with that term … only @emily can clarify then !

Yes, what Brits call bicarb or soda bicarb, Americans call baking soda. I believe that we all call baking powder by the same name.

Lol to clarify in Aus bicarbonate soda is that white powder (drug dealers mix with their cocaine to build it up :slight_smile:) youcan you for cleaning, in fridge to soak ups smells etc but baking soda or powder is the edible stuff, in a much smaller container that looks almost the same, but can be eaten gives flour a rising effect.

The bicarbonate soda funnily helped the scones rise but sadly tasted like soap :slight_smile:

Huh, in the US baking powder and baking soda are two different things. Baking soda is considered sodium bicarb and we use it in some recipes to help things rise but we also put it in our fridges or use it for cleaning! And then we also have washing soda that is similar but not edible that is also for cleaning, de-odorizing, and mostly used as a laundry additive.

To confuse matters more, baking soda (bicarb) is an ingredient in baking powder.

2 Likes