Guest washes their dog in the bathtub

That’s almost funny! Dog owners think their canines are children and would have thought what they did was perfectly fine. I’m constantly amazed by that and the way they can be so insulted by remarks to the contrary .
I love dogs too I must add.
The very least they could have done was ask permission and if not, clean up after themselves.
I think it was absolutely NOT ok to do what they did.

I reckon supply a plastic bath for Outside bathing, but reading some of the comments here, don’t let pets stay at all.

You’re probably right about the pricing. The cabin is 3 hours away from the San Francisco Bay Area (and it’s inflated prices in general), so the market might tolerate a modest increase ; ). I know that Best Western Hotels charges $25 a night for pets…

1 Like

Me too! I’ve had a long life full of dogs, who would seriously rather DIE than get up on beds/sofas. They love “their place” in a dog bed or even their crate, as that’s what they’ve come to know since they were puppies.

1 Like

There’s one instance only when my dog wants to get up on the sofa. She is terrified of thunderstorms, and we have a big rainy season here. When it starts thundering, she goes into primal fear mode, eyes bugged out, panting, trembling. And she doesn’t want to be on the floor. So that’s the only time when she’s on the furniture and as soon as the storm is over, she jumps down.

She used to try to climb in bed with me in a storm,and I felt so sorry for her terror that I let her a couple of times. That would have been okay if she’d just lie quietly, but she doesn’t- she paces back and forth, (this is a 70 pound dog) panting her hot breath in my face, pawing at me as if she thinks I can make the storm stop, and can’t be consoled in any way. So no more “in bed cause you’re scared”- she just has to be terrified all by herself on the floor :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe it’s different in various locations, but I wasn’t aware that there is any limit to the security deposit that you set. If there is, it must be quite high, because I have seen hosts with even $1500 deposits. I just went and changed my $200 deposit to $2000 and had no trouble (and changed it back afterwards of course ,) Why do you think you can’t set yours to $500?

Yes! And we leave lint rollers for the guests as well. And a broom and a Swiffer. Many will even ask if they can borrow a vacuum. 99% of my guests with dogs leave the apartment cleaner than those guests without dogs.

Does your place have cleaning supplies for the tub? A magic sponge will get pawprints out of the tub and most people with dogs would know that. I don’t think anyone has washed their dog in our tub, if they did I couldn’t tell. But I notice in the summer (I think because of wearing sandals), people leave footprints in the tub. I find that it helps to leave guests supplies to clean up and they usually will.

We also leave dog towels by the back door (and 1 in the apartment) for muddy paws and mention that they also should be used for messes instead of the bath towels. This has been successful. More than once I’ve found a dog towel with coffee or wine stains on it in the apartment after guests who didn’t even have a dog :slight_smile: We buy colorful used towels at the thrift shop so it doesn’t matter what happens to them.

We’ve always allowed dogs. It’s important to me because I travel with my dog. (And yes she sleeps in the bed, but you would never know @muddy :wink: We don’t charge a fee because it isn’t normal in my location (and we have a big hotel that doesn’t charge a fee and gives a bark-box :roll_eyes:)

What works for us is vetting each individual dog and guest with dogs. We put in the house rules that dogs are welcome but must be pre-approved prior to booking. I ask questions about the dog, about the plan for the dog (where will it be when you go out?), etc. People who don’t answer or who don’t have a plan are rejected. It works great. Only good dog guests! That and making sure they have what they need to clean up. Our hardest cleans are after women with long hair - so there is a hair catcher in the tub always anyway.

2 Likes

Not normal!! At least ask. I would be livid. I welcome dogs, multiples at a time and have never had one washed in the bathtub. Any dog owner knows what a mess that makes. I would charge them extra cleaning!

Brilliant

RR

I can’t imagine staying in someone’s home with my dog and giving him a bath in there tub! My dog goes to a groomer anyhow…much easier on all!

2 Likes

As a dog owner, i would wash my dog/dogs before I went to a rental. That said, if the dog got dirty and needed a bath while I was there, I would bathe him. Dogs will roll in stuff that stinks, will lie down in mud puddles, or just track in dirt. In the end, it may be better that the dog was cleaned than not.

Most dog hair won’t clog a drain. And anyone who has bathed their hairy dog in the tub knows they have to continuously clear the strainer or the dog will be standing in inches of dirty water during the bath. Kinda defeats the purpose.

you say they left dog hair behind. That’s odd.

Our 8 year old lab mix is a tough guy, but he doesn’t like the hose; I tried when we were at the beach on vacation with him. And… he’s also afraid of wind, rain and thunder… for no apparent reason. He’ll go into the basement for any of those reasons. Dogs are perpetual kids and their fears stay with them their entire lives, sometimes.

A hose is not always an option for cleaning a dog who doesn’t like it. I’ve tried, it was, at it’s best, a sh*t show. :slight_smile:

So our lab is bathed in the tub. As is our second dog. In the tub it’s easy to contain the dog, control the water temp, and control the water (spray hose attachment). It’s also easier to control the inevitable shaking after.

Also, if the renters are from an urban environment, and don’t send their dog to a groomer (not everyone does), they’ll wash their dogs in the apartment (shower or bath tub) because there is no other choice. Then that’s what they and their dogs are accustomed to.

Yes, as others have said, make sure you have a good strainer with small holes. Semi-permanent if possible (some will screw into a hole in the flange in the drain pipe).
This is good for human hair as well! That’s something I’d worry more about, personally.

Someone mentioned setting up hot/cold water outside. It’s a good idea actually, depending on where your cabin is located. We are having an outdoor shower put in for ourselves. Yes, we like outdoor showers, but mostly it’s to bathe our dogs.

In the winter it’d be OK to drain the pipes and not make it available. Rarely does a dog get messy in the winter. Unless it’s warm and the ground is muddy. Then we’re back to the bathtub scenario!

For us as hosts, dog owners overall make for very good renters. They’re happy to find a place they can stay with their dogs. And we’ve found that we’ve had fewer problems with renters with dogs than with renters with kids!

1 Like

I have a dog and I always shower my dog in my own bathroom. Yes, then there is hair in the tub, but I don’t find it much more hair than someone who has long hair. As you have to clean the bath when the people go anyway, I don’t think it makes any difference whether they have washed a dog or a dirty person.

3 Likes

I stayed somewhere with my dog and it had been raining and she was muddy. I said I would give her a shampoo in the en suite shower room, but the owner said no way was I to do this. So I didn’t, and my muddy dog then stayed muddy for the rest of the day. I sat in my room feeling very unwelcome and very not at home and then I checked out early.

If I had said nothing, I could have showered my dog in the en suite without her even knowing, and then made sure the shower was clean and without hair, and then my dog would have been clean for the rest of the day and not have dropped mud all over her carpet.

What I learned is: don’t ask, just do it.

1 Like

At home, my dog sleeps both on the bed and near the bed, depending upon her mood. And she sits on the sofa when we watch TV.

We have stayed in many hotels and holiday accommodation. I always take dog towels / blankets with me to make sure that she doesn’t leave any hair or mess on the sofa or the bed.

All bed linen is going to be washed when I leave anyway, and I know as a host, I have problems with humans and bed linen: mascara, fake tan, coffee, red wine, other things. So honestly, I do not see a problem with the dog sleeping on the bed, especially on its own blanket.

I totally get what you’re saying. Maybe that’s what you should have done (not asked and washed your dog , cleaning up afterwards )
People who allow pets need to take those things into consideration and perhaps organise their place for it. Maybe they could have a list of pet wash places, particularly the mobile ones.
The pet owner could google that info too.

Some dog owners wash them inside and some outside, but all dogs allowed to live indoors will need to be washed at some point. Warm water and dog shampoo gives a better result than a cold hose down outside. I have a friend in the country who has run an outside dog shower from their downstairs loo with hot and cold feed.
I would always clean a bath or shower after my dog. A drain cover to stop the fur might be useful. You can also get drain cleaning solution which dissolves fur.

My dog gets bathed outside with the hose, but the water is never really cold where I live. And there is nothing about bathing a dog with the hose that precludes using dog shampoo. My dog gets a full bath, with shampoo, under the hose, not just a “hose down”.

BTW, a dog needing to be washed at some point has nothing whatsoever to do with them being allowed to live indoors. All dogs require a bath from time to time.

And a drain cleaning solution which dissolves fur is not something to use on a regular basis- it’s highly toxic, and shouldn’t be used anywhere that’s on a septic system.