Guest wants to extend beyond 29 days

The problem isn’t the rebooking it’s the PAYMENT…

Why not? I have many guests who book with Airbnb, come and stay and then want extra days. They then pay me. What’s wrong with that?

2 Likes

yeah, and many host have asked for tips on how to do their own websites, just so as to make money without being tied to a third party platform.

But she has this funny feeling!

I say book 'em at a discount, then you’re covered

My most loyal regular books me on Airbnb with a special offer for $10, pays $2.42 in Airbnb fees and taxes then we take what it would have cost full price, subtract what she did pay then subtract half of the difference and she pays me that in cash. So she saved and I actually make more than through Airbnb. We are both happy that way. She has booked w me exclusively and all her reviews are from me. I am her mid way stopping point for her main travel and she usually spends 3 nights. Works out great for us both. Worked out really well a few times too when I was already booked and was able to put her elsewhere, off any platform.

Why don’t you make her a cash client?

Because I need the regular 5 star reviews due to the number of bad ones from rule breakers that get called out.

Also, then I don’t have to block the listing.

I think she likes getting my reviews too.

1 Like

Interesting. For me a 15%+ cut of the pie is too much in exchange for what you’re getting. OTOH I didn’t think $10 from Rover is worth the trouble. LOL.

1 Like

An extra few days should definitely be on the platform.A long term rental - months - should be with a contract. Definitely protect yourself.

1 Like

But I’m not giving up a 15% cut of the pie. I am making MORE than if I had her pay me cash…for example the two bookings went like this:

Guest would have paid $142 but paid $128.42 and I would have gotten paid $110.58 but got paid $125.70

Guest would have paid $96 but paid $88.42 and I would have gotten paid $74.69 but got paid $75.70

But not as much as if she just paid you what she would pay on Airbnb. Even if it’s just that 1 or 2 bucks each booking, it’s not necessary for Airbnb to get that. But you feel like it’s worth it to you because you need the reviews. I get that.

1 Like

Not so because we are sharing the Airbnb fees she would have paid and I am saving all 3% of what I would have paid them. But yes, I do agree about the 30 cents I end up paying them and the few bucks she ends up paying them.

UPDATE! They left without any problems! No squatting! But because of this, I have adjusted my max limit of days! Thanks to all for your advice, as I was really worried about all scenarios this could involve, and am grateful for all viewpoints for future guests!

PS: We received (and left) a great review!

3 Likes

So, in hindsight, do you have any idea why you were uncomfortable with the request?

Because I watched that movie, “Grifters”. I know, I am not the one you asked the question but it is why I felt uneasy for the OP.

In our county, adding a second reservation wouldn’t protect against the risks of more than a month-long reservation. Our county’s law about that specifically says that separate reservations adding up to more than a month don’t circumvent the tenancy rights. Check your state, county, and municipal regulations.

Not a problem - I posed the question after reading this paper:

Risk Perceptions of Airbnb Hosts

Just thought it was interesting reading.

@CeeBee I’ve come across that paper also, it is interesting!

Malcolm Gladwell has a new book this Fall that I think may be particularly interesting for hosts, it’s about dealing with strangers.

In almost all states because February only has 28 days it’s considered LTR if a guest books for 28 days. If the OP checked her original receipt for the stay I would bet AirBnB did not collect taxes and she owes no local taxes either. I accidently paid the local taxes on a 28 day stay once not thinking, only to realize my mistake after. I just let go rather than ask for a refund from Bexar County. If a guest is checking out on the 28th day it is actually a 27 night booking, so taxes would be taken out by AirBnB and you would owe the local taxes due.

You have a point. You stand to earn 2 days’ revenue but the risk is too great.

No. Still wondered to last day if they would leave. Like I said, couldn’t put my finger on it, and well, very grateful that “feeling” was wrong!