Guest wanting to cancel!

She would have bee in our family home, we vacate it.

So you decided to cancel?

And you’re playing her game. Call CS. Cancel without penalty. Get out of the reservation. Yes, she’s gaming the system, but you already know you had 4 options and if she comes, you’ll all hate each other.

Get her gone. Get someone else. Move on. (and I hate that phrase).

2 Likes

I haven’t cancelled yet, but I will do if necessary, she won’t be coming here…I called CS and he said it’s now being dealt with on a higher level, so await a message or a phone call…I’m not hopeful but I’ll see what they have to say and then I’ll cancel. She’s been been worse today …‘You can show me what a great host you are!’ she said to me…Not likely!

1 Like

Yes I know, and I will do, just awaiting an answer from CS and then she’s gone!

She said that??? OMG, she’s horrible!!

2 Likes

Yes on the Air B&B platform, so it’ll all be moderated… ;o)

The reason that we have a flexible cancellation policy is that we rent out rooms in our own home. Because we are in daily contact with guests within the house we don’t want anybody here who doesn’t want to be here.

In your case it’s different. You move out. They move in. My view:

• Enforce the booking conditions

• Only provide a vanilla response to any further messages along the lines of “We observe the terms and conditions of our Airbnb listing”.

• My guess is that she will cancel just before the 100% cancellation fee becomes due.

• If I’m wrong and she does go through with the booking I guess your concern is that they will leave a terrible review and possibly damage your property. Highly unlikely that they would cause any damage given the history of the reservation. In the past I have had a sort of similar situation and Airbnb agreed, as a ‘one off’, to not offer the opportunity for review.

Easier said than done I know when it involves your own dwelling but … that’s what I’d do. Fortune favours the brave.

2 Likes

I am with Casailinglady on that one. That person is horrible… That is so juvenile and spiteful.

1 Like

They are just begging for the reply “you’ve already shown me what an abysmal guest you will be. I can’t get rid of you fast enough. Just cancel already.” Ah, in our dreams and on the forums.

3 Likes

I’m of the mindset, that she will not come. I’d play the nice host and say that “I’m glad you’ve changed your mind and will be able to come.” Call her bluff, be exceptionally nice. It will drive her crazy. And she probably will say or do something that will further build your case with ABNB CS moderator.

If, on off chance, she does actually come, then be on your best behavior, document EVERYTHING before during and after.

5 Likes

And make sure she understands that if she sends someone else and she is not there, it then becomes a third party booking, which is not allowed by AirBnB rules.

2 Likes

I don’t know why you keep saying you are backed into a corner. You can ask Airbnb to cancel the booking because the guest makes you feel uncomfortable or tell her you are glad her husband’s shifts are now no longer an issue and say you look forward tp meeting her. Make a choice.

2 Likes

That crossed my mind right out of the gate. “fine” says the guest and would not put it passed that obnoxious person to “sublet” her stay to a third party of her choosing. Just another scenario to add to the pile.

I love this one.

3 Likes

I don’t buy that for a minute. I never book based on cancellation policy, either I am going to commit or not. I do not want the wishy washy guests who want an out anyway. I do not get cancellations either, so there’s that.

RR

2 Likes

:ok_hand: I guess I could preface it, “in my market” or “from my experience” or even “in my opinion” but I really feel like that’s implied. Surely it varies from market to market as do many things. I’m in a city and we compete with hotels who have minimum cancellation penalties so having a strict polilcy would be detrimental. But that’s just “my perspective” :wink:

I don’t have a judgement about the policy, I was actually supporting the OP to uphold her policy.

As a guest, I don’t buy trip insurance and my relationship with the universe is friendly but tenous so I actually never book anything with a strict policy. You know what they say about making plans…

2 Likes

I also think it’s possible that cancellation policy is one of the “100s of factors” included in the search results. As long as you are as booked as you want to be, great. But for someone who has some free days and they are wondering why, it’s a consideration.

I know for sure that I can’t have strict as my policy because I want to qualify in the “for work” category. I also would probably refund in 90% of the cases of a cancellation anyway so no point in setting it to strict.

In the 5+ years I’ve been a host the cancellation policies available have become less favorable to the hosts and I expect them to continue moving in that direction. So by adapting now I’m ahead in the game. (IMnothumbleO)

2 Likes

You are probably right there, the algorithms…
Hmm

RR

1 Like

The “Work collection“ category has disappeared! I don’t know if it’s temporary or not but it’s not there right now. I set up all three of my AirBnBs to qualify for the Work Collection, so the fact that it’s disappeared is annoying, at best!

2 Likes