Guest violated our pet policy and caused $900 worth of damage

@KKC. I’m pretty sure what caused it. I just didn’t want to gross everyone out unnecessarily. But here goes (don’t read if you have a weak stomach). The two guys occupying the room were eating Indian curry and drinking gin (heavily). The odor was: curry, vomit, gin, and the extremely strong musk perfumes they used in an effort to mask the original odor. There were yellow stains on a futon (the $73 was for that), on the carpet backing (not reimbursed), and dripping down a wall (also not reimbursed). It must have entered into the wood fibers of the floor after passing through the carpet, and embedded itself in the paint of the one wall next to the bed. Yes, I’ve disinfected thoroughly, steam cleaned, the works. There ya have it: the whole, sordid tale.

Ugh. Repainted the wall? Have you tried the emzymes used for dog urine?

No, all of this would be eliminated if you would have used the AirBnB app to confirm the phone call.
This is business 101, always confirm a phone call in writing.

So next time a guest calls you or sends an SMS, confirm your reply to them trough AirBnB. “Hi xxx, as per our telephone conversation we just had …”

1 Like

Hello Lea: there is a public portion and a private part to the reviews. The public part visible to everybody on the internet is the first line “Not a clean place. Owners very unfriendly”, which while not pleasant, is also not worth loosing any sleep. More recent reviews will supersede it soon.

However, your response, which is also public, goes on about … well, things that are not mentioned at all in the public part and would have been better left unwritten unless of course you want every potential guest ask about the snakes that are crawling around your property. You might want to disclose them in the “wild animal section” as well.

I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that Airbnb would only remove reviews if the public portion of the review has something wrong …

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did get Airbnb to take down my public response. The guy made me so mad, I thought I was replying to him not the whole world! Air would not take down his review, because like you said it didn’t go against their policy. I did however recover most of my money from the Res Center. I hope that Douglas the snake had to pay it, but I will never know. Thank you all for your help, this has been a learning experience!

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know the final outcome.

3 Likes

i would remove

“Long story short, the dog and friend did stay at our home and caused $900 worth of damage in 3 days.”

instead, say “the guest did not follow the rules and brought the dog and his friend to the house causing extensive damage.”

and “I guess they thought if we couldn’t smell the urine, we couldn’t see it.”

instead, say something like "the room was checked over with a black light and there was animal urine and feces all over the room

I supply make up wipes with a note to remove your makeup or you will be charged if you stain our towels and bedding with makeup.

just keep the next line.

and remove We had guests arriving that afternoon. Luckily, we had an extra set of everything except the blinds. It took 2 people 4 hours to clean one bedroom and bathroom. This guest would be better suited for a pet friendly hotel.

this doesn’t have anything to do with this guest, only talk about the bad stuff this guy did. not how it affected the next guest.

When guests text me with a question before arriving such as “can we bring our goat* ?” I send them a message thru AirBnB messenger: “re your earlier text message asking if you can bring a goat as I replied. no you cannot under any circumstances bring a goat. Please use AirBnB message system for all messages in future”.

• animal species names have been changed to protect the innocent
4 Likes

Yep always keep a record on the app and let the guest know you mean business.

1 Like

That’s a fairly harsh view of what would happen. I guess it could. Has it happened to you?

I don’t think harsh at all considering the guy’s character. He completely fabricated the story about being given permission, after he was told no…and lied about the lady friend staying. The fact that he did all this and was staying in the same home speaks volumes. The guy has bollocks.

Yes, I have had a set of guests who blatantly lied to my face. They even knew I had cameras. After calling them out on all the extra guests who were arriving, the guy still blatantly lied to me on the phone. He didn’t realize that the camera view went far beyond the immediate parking area.