Guest turned off WiFi Router

OH wow! Thanx for bringing that point up! I hadn’t even thought about that. I’ll have to check when I get over there next.

This article actually ADVISES guests to turn off WiFi, and see if the host contacts you, in order to check for hidden (interior) cameras! Of course it doesn’t necessarily follow that your host has a hidden camera if they contact you about shutting down WiFi; there are other ways to monitor WiFi. Also assumes host is gonna contact the guest and say “I saw through my secret hidden camera that you’re not supposed to know about . . .”
It’s a really bad article, it conflates external with internal cameras, gratuitously references the “party house” deaths, which has nothing to do with cameras, and ignores Airbnb’s camera disclosure requirements.

Business Insider: Is your Airbnb host spying on you with a hidden camera? Use this simple trick to find out… https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-host-spying-hidden-camera-how-to-find-trick-2019-11

4 Likes

That’s hilarious. Even though my 3 units are Entire Places (private apartments) all the units, including mine, share the wifi and so I would know right away if the wifi went off. Surely this is fairly common, it does seem like silly advice.

If you want to check for hidden cameras, you could just wad up a big pile of newspaper in the middle of the room and then stand there with a lighter in your hand, maybe pace around it with a deranged look on your face, waving the lighter around - I bet you’d hear from any host with a hidden camera right away :laughing:

1 Like

Lol. Don’t give them any ideas!

3 Likes

Haha, I have a thermostat on the wall in our living room which anyone can play with to their hearts content, but it doesn’t override the remote one downstairs in the locked boiler room.

4 Likes

lol