Guest through a big party and is angry about a bad review

I truly admire your attitude and hope to copy it, if and when I get guests like that in my Crete house. Other hosts should be warned, as we deserve to be!! HOWEVER, I truly hope that this won’t happen and this is why: I DON’T allow instant booking and I trust my instinct to spot those guests likely to cause trouble and anguish by not respecting the property. I hate the way Airbnb is always trying to push us into instant booking. A lot of young people only come to the Greek islands in order to drink themselves legless and cause trouble both publicly and privately (unfortunately).

I would value your advice, though - and the advice of other hosts here. Our house is part of a four-house complex, surrounding a large shared pool and facing the sea. Sounds great - but ONE of the other four will accept ANYBODY (prob. instant book??) on Airbnb and a group of four (very) young French people - they couldn’t have been over 25, possible younger) spent two nights drinking, taking drugs - we only found the drug things later - and screaming UNTIL FIVE A.M. Now several of us, including me, went over but they were frankly so out of it that I don’t think that they remembered, the next day. Their hosts are hopeless - ‘Not our fault!’ - but we have already urged them to install house rules (they say ‘no events’ but - take if from me - these WERE events!) Is there any way that WE can complain about our neighbours’ Airbnb guests to Airbnb? I’m guessing we’re out of luck, but would be very grateful for any help. Thanks in advance, A

However, I have

Good advice! Thanks - I’ll be checking my reviews now too!

1 Like

Sorry you had to put up with this. He clearly thinks you should be his slave and not get paid for cleaning up his puke and blood. Do you have no parties or no unregistered extra guests rules?
He’s clearly unsuitable for a sharing platform. Have Airbnb put a note against him on their system? They’ve done that twice for me, once with a badly behaved alcoholic and once for a scammer.

Yes there is.

https://www.airbnb.com/neighbors

Although I’ve no idea how much attention the company pays to these complaints. But if the neighbors are giving Airbnb a bad name, then it’s worth a try. Are the other two houses also on Airbnb?

1 Like

It’s these bad apples that are ruining airbnb for hosts and good, respectful guests alike. When people call and complain to the HOA and the city, municipalities are taking note and cracking down.
Hotel lobby is not helping either.
Good on you for your honest review and getting compensated for your losses!

2 Likes

Hey that’s a win in itself!

In all seriousness though, sorry that happened - it’s so frustrating. I had something similar last summer when we had guests who were day drinking outside at noon as noted by my neighbors (nothing wrong with that in itself), then banged on my neighbors door at 11pm, damaged our brand new fridge, left a mess, etc. We left an honest review and he got angry at us in messages (not as a response) claiming it was slander. ABB sided with us though and paid the extra cleaning and repair for the fridge.

2 Likes

Am surprised you only requested $250, blood stains and pukes sound real nasty.
A Friend’s property had his guests burned down his power box because they were using a faulty electric stove (their own) to do a Hot-Pot dinner at the property, ABB said he has to claim it from his home content insurance. Saga still ongoing 3 months later ABB isn’t helping

What you describe very clearly indicates the electrical system at the property was faulty or lacked proper circuit protection. What country was this?

This was in Singapore, I initially thought ABB would exercise their host’s protection insurance, but this isnt the case.

1 Like

This is exactly what I did. I got a video doorbell and have used it. I haven’t had any more incidents. I have startled a guest by speaking through it and informing them that they are not allowed to smoke anywhere on the property, including behind the house and especially marijuana, and that my neighbor had just called me and reminded them of the rule about the number of guests alloweed etc. I Also reminded them of the automatic fine for violation. And re-sent the rules. They apologized, sent the friends home and left the place clean and a good review. They were definitely planning a party.

Actually it is not hard to believe because so many reinforce it by non action, sadly. OP did the right thing and it will help some.

I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I’ve seen this post (although this appears to be the first one of those you posted). Looks like it was copied and pasted. Pieces I would understand but in its entirety? What’s the deal with that?

For whatever reason he’s spamming the forum with the same old, same old.

JF

Wow! You didn’t get any pushback at all? And they paid the automatic fines immediately, or when? If you say you let them get away without paying them then I will have my answer but definitely not my solution.

He says he’s just trying to help. I think he’s unfamiliar with forum etiquette but I’ve asked him to stop.

They paid but then complained and demanded I either delete my review or give them their money back (I did neither). I then installed the video doorbell.

1 Like