Guest that booked in March for the month of July now wants to cancel but wants us (the host) to cancel

I agree 100%.

My ethics now (different than in my youth) preclude me from taking money and giving no product or service in exchange. To me that is no different than a scam or theft. I see this as a financial transaction first, an emotional one second. Feelings of competition, contempt, anger at being manipulated, a desire to get revenge on a guest who tried to outsmart me are all negative emotions that I find exact a cost far greater than the monetary one.

Other people take a different path and are perfectly happy to do so.

I agree and since the OP did give something of value she should not refund a penny. The item of value of course was having her calendar blocked for a busy month for 4 months. The guest agreed to a contract which has a refund policy spelled out. However the guest decides to honor the contract is on the guest.

RR

2 Likes

If that item has great value to you, then by all means, charge for it.

You do you.

1 Like

It also had a value to the guest, it allowed them to make plans and be assured they had a place to stay months in advance.

Yes I do I and you do you and we can differ in what we do!

RR

2 Likes

Glad we cleared that up.

We sound like Dr. Seuss.

3 Likes

Another DS take on it

You be you and I be me we can agree to disagree!

Lol

RR

4 Likes

Thatā€™s so good, I think I will add it to the forum guidelines! :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

But nobody will read themā€¦

Lol

RR

2 Likes

that is not acceptable! yes, someone at airbnb told the guest what to say!

Yeah. He had been a host himself!

hi, i had a guest for a week who wanted to cancel the final day. i wrote to her that any changes to the reservation are to be addressed with airbnb. she contacted them & i received a request on line to alter the reservation. i could accept or decline. it showed the amount of refund too

AHA! mystery solved!