Guest reviews of previous hosts now showing on their profile!

Of course it is! That is why you should be careful about which extensions you install!

I’m no tech person but I assume the way it works is to just pull and gather the aggregate reviews under the guest profile and display them. Super nifty!

It is all about key fields, pulling data that is present in the API. You will notice in Chrome, that the host review renders quickly while there is a millisecond delay for the guest review of the host. Basically, the extension if doing a search across the database to present the corresponding review.

2 Likes

Can someone post a screenshot por favor.

1 Like

OK, but how do they insert it into the guest profile so it appears in the actual Airbnb…dunno the word…thread…software…? That concerns me. Doesn’t it mean that anyone can write a malicious extension that can insert any old crap and make it appear legit? I can’t believe Air is ok about this.

You don’t need a screenshot, mate. Just believe us that the review the guest gave to the host appears right underneath the review they left, including any reply they gave. Add the extension and you’ll see for yourself.

If there is an API involved, it’ll have to be with Airbnb’s permission. So the chrome extension will possibly have access to your browser session and thus be able to legitimately query the Airbnb servers using the appropriate API commands and your user credentials to fetch the info - if this makes sense.

(Roughly: Think of API as a browser for a piece of software instead of for a human.)

1 Like

This might explain further:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2017/07/27/all-airbnb-hosts-should-use-this-chrome-extension-for-screening-guests/#7c5b991c4081

2 Likes

I see that it only appears on my own pages about guests. That is, if I look at some random host and check their guests’ profiles I don’t see the reviews they left. So I suppose it’s all good!

God, I feel old and completely out of touch! Interesting to know that Airbnb must have given permission for this. You think they did?

1 Like

And if that site won’t load (Forbes have some restrictions) this might do:

https://kopitiambot.com/2017/07/28/all-airbnb-hosts-should-use-this-chrome-extension-for-screening-guests/

1 Like

Nothing to do with age. Software development is a field in itself. Do you feel old because you’re not a brain surgeon or data scientist?

An API is provided by Airbnb, so there has to be some degree of consent. I posed a question related to this to @smartbnb.io, still waiting for an answer.

And how do you know I’m not? This is just a temporary career break, I’ll have you know.

tee hee

2 Likes

Let’s say neurosergeons need to know some software programming, then you wouldn’t have made that feel-old comment lol.

Perhaps. But I’m old-school. Give me an x-ray and a scalpel, I don’t need anything else!

Possibly why I’m on an extended career break, come to think of it…

2 Likes

So when get back after your extended break, the new interns would never have heard of a scalpel and would look to Asimo instead eh

I worked with him once. Pompous idiot. Didn’t even wash his hands properly.

2 Likes

Really? Did you??

Of course not. I made the nurse wash them. Pfft.

(Ok, enough now!)

2 Likes

Enough of washing??

She did get a bit carried away once, it’s true. But no - really enough now!!

1 Like