Guest requesting a long stay

I have someone requesting to stay for 11 weeks during prime ski season from jan 1- march 15th. How would i go about determining the lricing for such a long stay? Anyone have a similar situation that would give me an idea on pricing? They are only coming and going on the weekends but would like to keep their belongings there so they want to rent for 11 straight weeks. Should i offer weekly or bi weekly cleaning or let them take care of it? Thanks for the help.

Sounds look a good deal to me. Let them book at the price they see. Maybe offer a weekly freshen up between visits. You can verify everything is good at the house, do any required maintenance fixed and minimize the utilities while no one is there.

1 Like

Weekly cleaning will allow you to keep your eye on the place and make sure that the guests are not doing anything that will cause you more cleaning work when they finally check out.

I’m not quite sure what you mean about determining the price? Have they asked for a discount? If so, remember that it’s your prime season and (if you’re concerned about reviews) one long stay means one review whereas in 11 weeks you could get a dozen by renting in the ordinary way.

Be sure to check what your local laws are regarding tenants though! Be sure that an 11 week stay doesn’t give them any renters’ rights.

1 Like

I told her i would figure out priicing per week and get back to her so i guess ill determine that based on my nightly rate for high season. I just stsrted hosting this month so im not completely sure what to charge yet. I was also planning on making a legal rental agreement/contract since its such a long stay to protect myself. Thanks! Ill check my local laws too. Good tip!

1 Like

During peak season, don’t discount any more than you already had planned for weekly/monthly stays. If you know for sure you will be booked solid with smaller reservations, you have no incentive to discount at all. Also remember that if you have a cleaning fee, you’re only getting paid for that once during the whole time.

I personally wouldn’t just offer weekly cleaning. I would make it a requirement, and for the same reasons @jaquo mentioned.

You’re a new host, too, so don’t rule out that the guest may have an ulterior motive of some kind. During my first 6 weeks is the only time I got inquiries that were a bit shady. One thing that comes to mind is a guest that gets a nice discount based on an 11-week stay then cancels after 1 week and gets refunded for the other 10 weeks (and the plan all along was to have a cheap 1-week ski vacation). I’m not sure how Airbnb handles that case, but it’s something to consider.

5 Likes

Please be very careful and make sure your rental agreement states that there is absolutely no Sub-Letting or unauthorized guests allowed. Last winter there were a rash of rentals near ski resorts that people rented and were then renting out rooms, couches, floor space at a premium and the places got trashed. The local authorities and Air were no help kicking them out.

5 Likes

I agree that you need to be very careful. I’d put money on you getting back to her with your terms and conditions and then you won’t hear back from them. Please update us if and when you hear back from her.

Also, if you don’t have cameras to keep an eye on the exterior coming and going at your place get them now.

2 Likes

Your nightly rate times the number of nights . Don’t discount.

RR

EDited to add: I just had a inquiry on my website for a 2 month booking, I sent her an email stating I would do 2 28 day bookings with a four day break and sent her a quote for the nightly rate X56
I have not heard back… lol The reason I broke it up was I will not allow a tenancy to be created. The reason I did not discount is because I do not really want anyone here that long, but for 12K I would suck it up.

3 Likes

Your local tenant/landlord laws would come into a big help in this type of situation in determining tenancy. I only allow 14 days max then I will extend 13 days and if they want to stay longer then they have to book a new reservation. This will prevent a person declaring tenancy in my state but always check your local laws on the matter.

1 Like

I would not take an 11 week reservation even at double my High Season Rate, especially since the renter will not be staying the full time, just coming and going. Too much chance for un-registered guests and other ethical and legal problems.

During High Season in a ski town I wouldn’t take anything more than 21 days or less than 3 days.

I sure as heck would not discount anything for any reason during High Season. That’s just ridiculous; you charge MORE during High Season, not less. And you’re an Airbnb not a fonking Hotel.

2 Likes

I do a similar thing of doing separate 28 day bookings but I don’t make hem move out in between. Although I actually haven’t had anyone actually stay for the second booking so it was a moot point.

1 Like

That might actually not work to prevent tenants rights. I read something recently where hotels were making guests change rooms before 30 days and that doesn’t work, but it probably still varies from state to state.

1 Like

True. My intent is only to be able to clean the property and to get a new review for the month. I am not worried about preventing tenants rights in the least.

Personally, I would reject them.
I am in a ski resort, and long stays only generate a fraction of the short stays.
Normal short stay gives about 3-400% more revenue.

If the guest is prepared to pay normal high season rates, for 11 weeks, this is a red flag, and all alarm bells should start ringing, because normally people are not prepared to spend that amount of money.

Like @CyReid said, be very careful that they do not rent your place and then sublet at prime rates.

1 Like

Concur, there is certainly a possibility that they plan to arbitrage rates and profit from cramming your rental with subletters, and may be counting on your inexperience asa recent listing. You can just say, sorry, I only do short term lets during high season. Even if it is not their plan to sublet, you can easily imagine them saying to some friends, you can use our ski rental on x days we won’t be there, or bringing a variety of guests. Party!! You could say “no sublets, no guests without host preapproval, premises monitored by exterior security cameras,” but I wouldn’t risk it.

And even if they have no ill intent that’s best case scenario, single 5 star review from an entire busy season instead of potentially 11+ 5 star reviews. The way search works there is an added value to all those reviews beyond more cash.

2 Likes

I know it’s silly but I had a personal goal to get 500 reviews in my first five years as an Airbnb host. My first stay was 5-30-14 and I need 10 more reviews by the end of the month. I just accepted a request for 14 days today with some reluctance because it reduces my chances of hitting my target. Ultimately I decided to put my silly number in my head second and put this seemingly good booking first. I still have a decent chance to hit my target with 12 open nights and 5 reservations already booked.

2 Likes

This is not one we often see, but it’s another case of putting your emotions aside to make the right business decision. Good on you!

Sounds like you’re going to be at least 496/500 anyway, which is >99% of your goal. Still an “A+” in any grade book.

I had a student once who was a hard worker but also a little too obsessed with her grade. I said “xxx you can’t get higher than 100.” Her reply: “But I don’t want any lower than 100.” LOL. Always aim for the target.

1 Like

You made me check mine.
I do not know when I started in 2014, but I am currently at 503.

1 Like