Guest rang me this morning at 3am!

Um, every hotel I’ve stayed in as far as I can remember…

4 Likes

I guess you are staying in better hotels than I do! I do remember they all fold it into the little “V”.

I wonder what they do with all the half-used rolls? Maybe they put them in the public restrooms?

1 Like

I must be posh :smile:
Well, that’s not strictly true - most of my travelling in the past has been on business so it’s been a secretary who has booked using corporate cards and so on. It would be a different matter if they were spending their own money. (Or me spending mine!)

And the hardly-used bars of soap. The staff loos maybe?

The guest should ring if they need something important. This can be differnt in a listing depending on some things, right. I have some difficult guests at times but I would not want to dismiss them if they have needs. They have paid some money, not like hotels but we must provide services.

1 Like

This is what happens to some of that half used soap

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this, @AvaH ! This was really interesting to read.

2 Likes

WHAT<><>???No Flamenco in El Paso??? What about Rosa’s Cantina??? Felina???

That is an amazing article about recycling unused soap and toiletries. An excellent idea and execution of it:)

Flamenco is Spanish, Felina was Mexican, as is most of the culture here.

2 Likes

I put a basket on the bathroom counter with a few small bottles of necessities, shampoo, mouthwash, lotion. I take a round label on each item–it looks like it has never been used (it hasn’t) and it saves me from throwing it away if it was not used. Previously I could not tell if a tube of lotion, for instance was used and would transfer it to our bathroom and put out a new one.

BTW, one of these is a makeup remover–already had one wash cloth ruined.

I stayed in a hotel in Pismo Beach, CA that was part of this program and I thought it was great. We use all of the leftovers ourselves. I don’t put a new roll of t.p. on every time either, only if there’s less than 1/2 a roll left. I never really thought about the cleanliness aspect…just more I was trying to prevent folks from having to change the roll themselves since we get mostly short stays. Do you think the kind of dispenser with a cover would be better?

1 Like

For the record, I don’t worry about the cleanliness of it personally. If someone is that concerned they probably travel with their own. I just do it because a lot of the hosting stuff is a head game.

2 Likes

Most definitely! It’s all about perception.

2 Likes

I do not answer these calls. If it’s a true emergency I instructed the guests to call 911.
I don’t have these kind of fancy locks. I don’t trust any lock that operated via phone ONLY. The technology is in its infancy and errors are possible.

I myself couldn’t open such a lock in New York. I typed the given code 3 times and it wouldn’t open. But it was 8PM and the host lived on the premises. At my house I have a regular lock and the guests are supposed to let themselves in with a key.

If I know they arrive late I tell them upfront that if they can’t open the lockbox - I had cases - there’s a spare key hidden around the house and tell them where it is. I specifically tell them I am going to sleep at that time and don’t really like to be bothered.

If they lose the key or lock themselves out, tough luck. I won’t answer any phone between 12-6am whatsoever. I mean, I have a life too.

1 Like

We are taking about a fire alarm, not a light bulb…

You can use a key with the August Smart Locks too. From the outside everything is normal looking. It’s only on the inside that the smart lock is visible.

Yes we all have our own standards and ways of hosting.
I’m glad you found me amusing.
Haha.

1 Like

Lol let me be more precise. What hotel in city centre for 90 euros a night 4 person occupancy 600 thread sheets king size mariott beds always gives a new to roll to clients. And if the client takes issue with the TP not being new, maybe you should ask yourself what the real problem is.