Guest Not Booking for All Guests

My husband just joked “It takes a village to host a guest…”.

I have an 8 night booking starting in August for a family from Spain. The dad wrote and asked it it was available, the price, and asked what my rules are.

Newbie, right?

My listing states in 2 or 3 places that children of all ages are considered guests and the reservation must be made for every person coming.

1 bedroom houses 3 people; parties over 3 pay $15 more per person because they get a whole second bedroom.

Upon first inquiry I responded that the reservation needed to be made for all 4 people in their family (one child is 18 months old).

When he booked I responded and told him he had not booked for the right number of people. I then asked if they wanted the second room (with 8 nights and two kids, who wouldn’t?!). If they didn’t want the second bedroom I’d give them a small price break since I don’t have to clean it or make up the beds. But 4 people in that room, 2 kids, is a lot of wear-and-tear, plus they will need to use our upstairs bathroom (with a tub) to bathe their toddler.

Plus, damn, it’s $59 a night for a bedroom, full bath, and kitchen area…why would a family of 4 get something so cheap?

SO - here’s my options as I see it -

1. Submit a reservation change, and at this point, since he’s ignored my instructions to book for 4, charge the entire $15 extra per night or

2. Write to AirBnB and ask for their advice.

I will not contact the guest about it a fourth time - that would be silly!

Plus it’s over labor-day weekend - silly me for not blocking the weekend.

Thoughts?

Uh oh…he has not responded after three emails from you???

Are you on instant book or regular booking request? I’m not following part of the story - about where you found out there would be a toddler and told him he needed to book for the correct amount of people. Was this before or after the booking was made?

His behavior is already showing red flags. And this is for 8 nights. I would be tempted to call Air and explain and ask if they would cancel without you being penalized. Air should understand this guest is exhibiting red flags months before arrival.

1 Like

BTW - let’s say they don’t use the extra room. Can you rent it out to someone else?

Ok…I haven’t had my own kids and I know you are a ;mom of at least three. But don’t toddlers have lots of poopie diapers, etc. And like you said they will need to bathe him in the tub. Do toddlers take baths every night?

And Airbnb guests tend to have the worst behaved kids if the grandparents are not present. Maybe not in your place since you can keep them all in line :smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’m on instant book.

He first made an inquiry for 3 guests, told me they are a family of 4.

I responded with my usual happy tone and asked him to be sure to book for 4.

He booked for three.

I wrote and said we needed to fix the reservation to 4, and asked if he would use the second room.

No reply.

My listing states in three places that the booking should be for all the guests, and kids are welcome but are counted as ‘guests’.

I’ve had great luck with kids as guests! I’m watching a gorgeous little girl from Poland grow up via FB. But yes, I’m not going to have any child for free as they all come with their own little nuances that ‘take’ from our family.

I don’t rent the second room out as I don’t want two sets of guests - I’m pretty busy in other areas of my life (yes, three kids, home schooling, teaching a class, working at a paying job 10-15 hours a week) and don’t want more than one set of guests to keep track of. ; )

thanks!

What happens when someone puts in a reservation change…does the guest have a time limit to accept?

I’m not sure if they have a time limit, but it would make sense that they do.

Hi dcMooney,

First of all I think you charge to little :wink: I charge 100 euro per extra person ;). But being from Europe I know that responding in English only is sometimes hard for people to understand. So I always copy paste the google translation as well ( I mention its a google translation) and that they can always respond in their own language… It helped me several time with Spanish speakers, I even used the translate app to communicate with them when they were staying… So its probably a language issue more than unwillingness. Also for lots of people Airbnb is a new thing so check if and where they have stayed before so you you might know if they are familiar with the concept etc.
And if worse comes to worse I let them pay the difference upon arrival…
Just my thoughts :wink:
www.antwerp64.com

I feel this is an issue that air needs to tackle and take on to support Hosts.
I hope that they will take a public stance and make it clear that the deposit can also be used to correct “errors” in booking.
Air should be educating all guests, and supporting hosts to be properly paid. And they should take their % of the booking. A win-win for hosts and for air to stop the lying.

1 Like

Ernst - I don’t know why your post was flagged, but I appreciate the thoughts. I did think of the language issue - but since their English is very clear I didn’t think that could be it. But I will send a translation just to be clear -

Yes, georgygirl - I think that could be the issue - he may not even realized he’s booked for three - he thinks they can show up and work it all out.

I think I should just submit the change at the full price and they can take it, or not. Really, a family with two young children should just pay the additional per night and have the extra room. Just their luggage alone, with the accouterments of kids - diapers and so forth, will fill up their room. This would be manageable for 2 -3 nights but for 8 nights, it will get tight.

DC, I would do your first option. Call Air and ask for it to be canceled since it seems to meet the guidelines of the guest not communicating, not answering, and not following your rules. Then I would take the newly cleared calendar and jack up the price for that weekend! Let us know what happens!

1 Like

DC…if I read correctly and you have already communicated to him three times and he has not responded…maybe it’s a sign from the universe that this is a bad guest. Of course you know best since you are directly interacting with him. But 8 nights is a really long time if this guest right now is just ignoring you. You could then jack the rates up.

2 Likes

Hi dcMooney,

First of all I think you charge to little :wink: I charge 100 euro per extra person :wink:. But being from Europe I know that responding in English only is sometimes hard for people to understand. So I always copy paste the google translation as well ( I mention its a google translation) and that they can always respond in their own language… It helped me several time with Spanish speakers, I even used the translate app to communicate with them when they were staying… So its probably a language issue more than unwillingness. Also for lots of people Airbnb is a new thing so check if and where they have stayed before so you you might know if they are familiar with the concept etc.
And if worse comes to worse I let them pay the difference upon arrival…
Just my thoughts :wink:

I agree, I think you are charging too little in general. For 3 people it should be 75$. Come on, a family of 3 can pay 25$ per person .
I would follow, Kona’s advice. Air is very good in helping when it comes to breaking rules.
Basically they are breaking rules knowingly or not.
They don’t respond, it’s not your fault.

2 Likes

What is airbnb’s policy for guests who do not disclose the proper number of guests in their form?

I send a very thorough and very tight agreement with penalties for extra guests. They always fess up immediately because my communication is very clear.

What do you mean agreement? Do you get a signed agreement before okaying the stay?

If they brought extra guests that you did not approve, confront them and ask them to pay the extra fee per person. If they refuse, take it out of the security deposit when they leave. Call Air first to make sure you can do that.

My agreement is uploaded online and I make them 1. acknowledge that they have read it and accepted the terms, before I say yes to the reservations, and also 2. Agree to sign it and return it as soon as I take the reservation. So the answer is yes, - I will not allow them in the door without a signed agreement.

Well, putting aside that I don’t rent to children and don’t use instant book, I think in this situation i would just decline them. That’s what i do when i am struggling to come to a meeting of the minds with a potential guest. Of course, to take my advice you would have ot stop using instant book. That’s up to you. :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Seems like it’s been awhile since we’ve heard from you, jackulas!

1 Like