Guest never showed up, seems strange

They keep emergency contact details. @KKC.

4 Likes

I’d forgotten that and this was a good reminder to go in and update mine.

1 Like

Please update us with anything you find out. As a father of adult daughters, I share your concern.

2 Likes

It’s now several hours after check out time and as we haven’t heard otherwise, I guess that the guest never appeared.

I think we’d all be grateful to know the latest news in this situation @TheDees as it’s a situation that could happen to any of us. It would be great to know the outcome. It could be a real help to other hosts.

What did Airbnb say/do? Were the police involved? (Here, they wouldn’t have become involved in the non-show of an adult).

I hope it’s a happy outcome.

2 Likes

I asked a guest once if Airbnb asks them for emergency contact info. She said she wasn’t sure, then checked her account and said there is a place to enter it but she had never filled it out, as I suspect many guests haven’t.

FYI this gal was a middle aged, savvy, world travelling, digital nomad, who had about 20 Airbnb reviews on her profile, so if she hadn’t bothered to do this, I doubt many guests do.

So when guests arrive, I ask them for an emergency contact number, in the off chance that they have an accident, serious illness, or go missing. I get a lot of single female guests and my experience has been that they appreciate this.

2 Likes

I only remembered because I remember Airbnb asking for an emergency contact when you set up your profile.

Sadly I think you are right some guests don’t bother to fill in the details.

1 Like

@TheDees Any update? When we first started hosting I had a guest who booked, a young man from Miami, who never showed and I never heard from him again. I still wonder if he’s okay, or if something happened.

1 Like

We reached out and finally heard back that she was fine but she didn’t say if she would be checking in or not. Then at 3am Sunday morning she messaged wanting to know if she could check in. We were sleeping. Very strange. She never ended up coming to the house.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’m glad she’s fine. It sounds like @jaquo’s speculation about a hook up was on point.

Do you require in person check in? If it were me I’d just show up anytime in my reserved time thinking I could check in.

3 Likes

Hmmmmm… now I speculate that the guest was hoping to bring someone else to the airbnb, but got ‘spooked’ when it turned out both times that you were there and expecting her?

1 Like

If someone gets upset that you cared about them enough to worry about their safety in a situation that is alarming, that’s their problem. I would not let that stop me from calling the police, which I would probably do in this case.

2 Likes

I always interested to know our guest(s) arrived safely (especially in Vermont with snow and mountain roads). Thus a non-arrival with no communication would be of great concern to me, especially a young woman. I would continue to follow up and see if she is OK. She may have rented a car or used Uber / Lyft. If she doesn’t show up for the second night, I would probably reach out to the police.

1 Like

I get a lot of single female guests, and as it’s a 20 minute walk to town, if they are coming back after dark, I ask them to shoot me a text when they’re on their way. If they didn’t show up in 30 minutes, I’d go look for them.

When I first started doing this, I apologized for my mom brain, explaining that I raised 3 daughters and couldn’t help but feel concerned, but the guests told me they appreciated the mom brain.

1 Like