Guest lied to AirBnb, got refund based on lies, and they blamed me

I disagree with statement; "you did not host them for 19 nights , why you should be paid."
If cancellation was strict then a host should be paid despite guest changing plans and wanting to cancell. The point here was that Airbnb solved situation in favor of the guest without actually having evidence that the issue described was true.
Strict cancelation policy is there for a reason. In my case I won’t be able to stay in business if I give refunds left and right. I understand plans change then get travel insurance. Why I as a host have to bear all the expenses and suffer loss of income but not the person who travels.
But that was a good question: what kind of cancellation policy it was?

Really?!? why? they don’t collect a tax number else where around the world.

So they can report us to the IRS if necessary!

This is true. And also, this is the bummer of AirBnB siding with the guest on a cancellation. If they do that and there is a dispute, then the host has to eat it. That’s a serious loss. I had one like that recently. The guest cancelled and asked for a refund for her sick MIL, (no proof was offered) so I said no, and the company sided with her. I lost. But I was not paid out yet. Nothing I could do. But if I WERE paidout a huge amount, and then this was called a debt, I wouldn’t want it hanging over my head! I wouldn’t spend it!

It won’t let me post the same reply in two threads, but please see what I posted in the thread to the person who owes $6000.

Here’s the portion of the TOS subjecting you to collection…

"In addition to the amount due, if your account is delinquent or you otherwise have chargebacks on your account, you may be charged fees that are incidental to our collection of these delinquent amounts and chargebacks. Such fees or charges may include collection fees, convenience fees, or other third party charges. You hereby explicitly agree that all communication in relation to delinquent accounts will be made by electronic mail or by phone, as provided to Airbnb by you. Such communication may be made by Airbnb or by anyone on its behalf, including but not limited to a third party collection agent."

2 Likes

I would imagine it would be in your best interest to contact Air and plead your case. Remind them that the person did not lodge their complaint until some time into their stay. Speaking to the standard rep may not be your best course of action. A supervisor or manager may be best for handling your inquiry. Either way, it is something you definitely want to address as soon as possible, even if that is having your attorney write a letter pleading your case and citing whatever merits he believes your stance has.

1 Like

FelixCat, you rock, thanks so much for looking this up!

1 Like

Lorna S
their case workers are kids same as the supervisors - forget that - lets take them to curt in a class action.

And yes media are required . It isn’t it funny how they say they are not responsible for guests making death threats- THEN helping the guests- not hosts-- but they took your money off you without even talking to you.

Lets sue the bastards. We did the same left them out of principle too - good for you.

It happens. And often Airbnb, plays peacemaker and gives it to them, it’s annoying though, equally though they refund the host as well. Airbnb is so rich, they factor in this stuff often, and can afford a few small financial losses(pocket change to them). I had a bad experience one, one guest lied out to there teeth to get a 14-day booking when they arrived. Airbnb gave me a refund to (3 days minus the service fee) I booked the room out again 2 days later so it was okay. But it happens, welcome to the world of the “Airlines industry/working at an airport/tour guides/hotel management” all rolled into 1. your dealing with people, who many have complex needs, or a difficult people and don’t even realise it, and all come from diverse backgrounds and are different people, it feels like your at High School all over again sometimes with AirBnb guests you meet, very diverse, sometimes to diverse the levels of difference between guests, and tough to deal with. It would be good if Airbnb offered a training course or a a manual on how to be a good host, and troubleshoot problems.

Hi, I know this post is quite old now but I’m in a very similar situation and I’m interested to hear how it all played out? Did they chase you up for the money or did they resolve it with you?
Thanks

This is too old to really resurrect. Sorry.

Hi Penzb,

Would you be interested in starting a new topic to get help on your issue? Many policies with Air have changed over the past two years.