Guest lied and had a very large and messy party

Could you clarify this? Where is a setting to put a requirement of 3 stays for instant book?

Sorry-let me rephrase. Under my booking settings, I have recommended by other guests as a requirement to instant book. I like to see them have at least 3 reviews as well, but youā€™re right-thatā€™s not an actual setting you can pick.

2 Likes

Following this feed closely as I have a large mansion I co-host. Weā€™ve had wonderful guests so far. Even absolutely lovely bachelor and bachelorette parties. I would like to make sure we donā€™t have a negative experience. We donā€™t have cameras but Iā€™m also curious what your price was set for during the 3 night stay? Iā€™m wondering if perhaps we havenā€™t had a bad experience because of the high rates we charge for rental.

Does anyone have an experience of someone trashing their home or disrespecting it and also having paid $1200-1500 for a 2 night stay? TIA!

1 Like

If you read through other similar posts on this forum, youā€™ll find that properties have been abused at all price points. Also, I imagine that your property sleeps a number of people who are splitting the booking. The bottom line is each individual not paying much more than a private room would cost in some markets. If you care about your mansion, you should get cameras.

4 Likes

Can someone reply with recommended outdoor cameras? Iā€™d love to hear what people use that works well for them. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Sorry this happened to you, itā€™s a horrible feeling, creates a bad vibe from the neighbors and the city could potentially find out and create problems. I agree with @KKC, put security cameras; like yourself, I rent entire house and at the beginning had a couple of groups that threw parties, after that I put very strict rules, fines for breaking each rule, a quiet time after 9pm (all noise inside the house), ask them to respond with ā€œI agree to the rulesā€ if they agree to the rules of course, put in the listing that there are security cameras, havenā€™t had an issue since using this, just feel bad for the newbie hosts that have to learn the hard way!

3 Likes

I called a professional to install two on the exterior front of my house. They are hard wired and record 24/7 to a DVR. I relied on his professional judgement and I donā€™t know the brand. He installed tamper proof ones and that would be advisable for some properties. Before that I installed a Ring doorbell and that was very easy. The problem with them is taking them down to charge them periodically. If you have multiple entrances or windows that give easy egress you really need them on the whole perimeter. People will literally crawl on the ground to try to sneak in. LOL.

4 Likes

When u decline a guest for not having 3 or more good ratings,do u tell them thatā€™s why u are declining them? We are relatively new to Air Bnb and Iā€™ve been wondering what would be acceptable reasons (legally or with Air Bnb) if I didnt feel like I should accept a guest.

This sounds like a nightmare! Out of our 7-8 bookings, weā€™ve only had one group that broke/damaged things and left a mess. After admitting to breaking one thing, she disappeared and no longer replied. I was really curious if Air Bnb actually charged her for the item she admitted to breaking (as they saw it in our conversation thread) and hiding it under the bed and pushing back against the wall. Unfortunately, the majority of the repairs came out of our pockets. What kind of questions can any of you recommend to screen ppl before you accept a booking? Especially now that weā€™re nervous about renting to someone who appears young, which was the case with this disrespectful group.

$75 per night - two night minimum - $95 cleaning fee. We have a ccase going with the resolution center that is going very well. AirBNB has been really responsive and helpful!

1 Like

Cameras are now up and operating on all entrances! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I bought a Sannce wired IP camera system (4 cameras). Running the Ethernet cables and keeping them hidden wasnā€™t easy, but no battery changes or anything. Very clear images, even at night

3 Likes

In order to instant book my house, guests must have recommendations from other hosts. If their profile doesnā€™t reflect that, Airbnb will not let them instant book. Instead, they request the dates and I have to approve. Usually the jist of the request is pretty similar. College friends/group of guys/bachelor party/birthday party coming from a drivable distance. Living in San Diego, thatā€™s often LA. I decline the reservation and tell them my place isnā€™t a good fit for that type of vacation. Sometimes they get angry and demand to know on what grounds Iā€™ve denied the request. I then reply that itā€™s my home and my decision.

3 Likes

Sairey, I see. I am not set up on instant book bc Iā€™m trying to avoid a calendar conflict, so they have to request. It helps me to hear what other hosts communication is like, so thank you very much for sharing that! I have a Lakehouse so I can see how u being in San Diego would be at higher risk.

There are plenty of stories on Airbnb forums of people who have had high end properties trashed and damaged.

As a co-host what was your thinking around not having them/recommending them to the owner?

Wow. $75 a night for a house seems cheap. The cleaning charge is on the high end, but $250 for two nights seems low. Maybe that is just your market. Iā€™m used to paying that for a nice room or a small one bedroom apartment.

Honestly Iā€™ve been hosting myself for over 18 months before beginning co-hosting. Iā€™ve never had a negative experience like what Iā€™ve read on this forum. I only recently (in Jan) found this forum so I didnā€™t even know security cameras were a legal option nor have I had any reason to want them. However, this space Iā€™m co-hosting is really large and I could see it possibly ending up an issue. I charge $275-$500 a night with a 2 night minimum and $175 cleaning fee. Everyone whoā€™s stayed with us has been respectful and really great though some are definitely more conscientious about tidying up after themselves than others.

1 Like

@lisavanahn - a great motto to host by is ā€œHope for the best, plan for the worstā€ when it comes to guests. Youā€™ve been fortunate so far with great guests. And the vast majority of guests are good or better. But itā€™s prudent to protect the property by putting in some sort of monitoring system - cameras and a secondary system (some owners suggest NoiseAware, and there is one that monitors the number of devices connected to your WiFi and alerts you when there are too many). It only takes one bad guest to ruin things!

6 Likes

We had that price to get bookings to make Superhost, which happens in two days! We have upped to $85/night minimum now.

$75 to $85 a night for a house?
Are you renting a dive?
How many guests sleep in the house? How many bedrooms?
How low can you go?