Guest lied and had a very large and messy party

At the risk of starting something crazy, I LOVE smart pricing.

2 Likes

@jaquo - Can you tell us why you LOVE smart pricing?

You asked! :slight_smile:

Simply:

Smart pricing updates every day. So it means that there’s one job I don’t have to do daily to help towards maintaining search presence.

Smart Pricing never offers our rentals at prices below the minimum we set.

This said, it sometimes shows prices that are pretty high that I’d never dare charge - but they get booked.

And if I disagree with what Smart Pricing tells me, I can manually override it.

2 Likes

@jaquo, does Smart Pricing give the same prices as the pricing suggestions? I’ve noticed the pricing suggestions are simply a discount off my rate. I’ve tested them, and put in $500 for a Friday and $1500 for the next day, and Air suggested $400 for the Friday and $1200 for the Saturday.

No, the pricing suggestions are completely daft! With Smart Pricing, you set the minimum and maximum price. It will never set your price at below or over what you set. So you have full control.

If you disagree with a price for a particular night, then manually override it. For example, Smart Pricing might set a price of $120 per night for a certain week but you know (Smart Pricing doesn’t) that there’s a fabulous event in your area that week and you know that you can charge $200 per night. So you can change it to the price you want.

Also Smart pricing ‘learns’ over time. When I first started using it, it assumed that July. for example, would be a higher price than February. This is the case in most places. But here in South Florida, February is high season and July is off-season. After a few weeks of correcting Smart Pricing it managed to ‘learn’.

2 Likes

But it is possible then that the parameters for Rusty could be set awfully low for the minimum price. Will they compare a 3 br whole house to rooms in a house? Pricing should be apples to apples, I would think.

Hosts set their own parameters. I’ve set ours to $110 minimum and $320 max with, I think, $150 for weekend nights. Of course, Airbnb doesn’t know about local events - it only puts prices way up at times such as Christmas - but when I know there’s going to be a higher local demand, I raise prices manually. Although I’ve never done so, I could also lower prices manually if I wanted to offer a discounted week.

Do you know the name of the monitoring device one?

@lisavanahn It’s called Party Squasher. It counts the number of mobile devices and alerts you if the number is higher than your threshold. $149 to buy it and $99 per year monitoring fee after the first year.

I have no idea if it works - I just heard about it at a HomeAway forum a year or two ago.

1 Like

https://www.partysquasher.com/airbnbopen/

I was intrigued. Here is their website. They are offering Airbnb free shipping.

I would highly recommend Arlo caneras. The only thing is you need to change the batteries once a month or so.

Would you be willing to share, either privately or publicly? I have the same thing and it has not really helped reduce instances. In fact, lately, it has actually increased…

There are ways to “hardwire” them to a plug in cable of sorts. That is what I did with my nest Hello video doorbell. They make them compatible for Ring as well.

And as I have had with my last guest that checked out of my whole house listing…he stood in front of the doorbell camera while his unauthorized guests left the house. Stupid of him though, was the audio of him talking to his friend about how he couldnt get charged for all the extra people he got in to the house for free because he was standing with his back against the doorbell camera. Also stupid though is that they are very easily seen coming in the night before, and on the non-doorbell outdoor cameras. I am still waiting for the 72 hours for guest to respond to the Resolution Center claim so I can get Airbnb involved. to pay the additional guest fees and unauthorized guest fees.

If you didn’t receive it then they didn’t charge it to the guest. If you did receive it they still might not have charged it to the guest and may have paid it from AIrbnb, especially if it was $200 or less.

KKC can you remind me some more about this?

• What is the exact delay? 14 days after check out or 13 days 10 hours? After your specified checkout time?

• Why do you think it matters waiting till the last day, they can’t see your review anyway until they have already left their review. So what can happen if you leave a bad review?

Thanks for that!

How do these things work out?
Once you’ve made the complaint, called the guest out on their behaviour, and gotten airbnb involved, surely a bad guest review is almost 100 certain?
Does airbnb mitigate this at all or allow your superhost status to be taken away, in addition to the stress trauma and physical damage to your property?

I have mine hardwired. But that makes the installation harder. My newer gen Ring is a big improvement too.

Others have posted here that it’s exactly 14 days after you get the email reminding you to review. But then some people cut it too close and miss it or even forget! Waiting matters in some situations because when you review the guest gets a message saying something like “Lililou reviewed you, leave a review to see what she said.” So as long as they think you aren’t going to review them, they might skip reviewing you. Then when you review anyway last minute they do review you. Also reviews post in order of home country and date. So if you review right away and so do they that ugly review sits there 13 days at the top. Anyone looking at your listing sees it. If, like me you may have 5-8 reviewed stays in 2 weeks, that bad review is down on the second page and a prospective guest is less likely to notice it.

No, they don’t mitigate this at all. We hoped they might when they talked about making the review system more fair, but all they’ve done is add coding to identify inconsistent ratings. (Like if your guest marks 5 stars on all the sub-categories and 2-stars overall, it will say “are you sure?”). This does nothing to help with retaliatory reviews.

If you’re lucky they say something in their review that violates Air’s content guidelines. But most often Air will say “it’s the guest’s experience” regardless of how retaliatory or false it is. All you can do is reply to it.

A bad guest can’t take away your SH status, other than damaging your host rating. Those bad guests are exceedingly rare, so hopefully you have enough 5-star reviews to overcome a rogue low rating.

1 Like

It had been about 50% successful in getting it from the guest (that is going down as I increase the fines and the instances of violations increase exponentially) and then 60% of the refusals are paid by Airbnb (although increasing with camera evidence) so I get the money about 80% of the time.

Yes, I have gotten LOTS of bad reviews when doing this which is why I had inquired of the group about how to avoid this. I now wait until after the review period is over to submit the claims (when it is for fines and extra people and not for damage which must be done right away) and I have gotten NO reviews from the offenders (even one who has threatened bad reviews and legal action many times by voicemail and text).

Unfortunately, Airbnb does NOT mitigate this at all and would certainly take away my SuperHost status if I was ever able to achieve it. With the number of bad reviews from offenders it will likely be a while (like maybe next year now that I don’t submit Resolution claims until after the review period when possible).

The stress/trauma is unfortunately something I am more than used to dealing with in my life (abused as a child and young wife, and then also 24+ years in the Army, and dealing with hundreds of deceased/fallen heroes and the aftermath) so it passes once it is “done and dusted” but the damage claims I have actually only ever had one. The damage was done by a guest dog and he refused to pay it. Airbnb paid me half because they said I couldn’t prove that it was the guest’s dog and not my own that did it. Usually my claims are for smoking or unauthorized pets or people or not cleaning up after their dog or leaving their dog loose in the house when no one is home or leaving the house unlocked when they leave, parking and driving on my lawn. All these things are clearly spelled out in my House Rules along with their accompanying fines.

Interestingly the one damage claim I did since the guest never had to pay it I ended up with a good 5 star review across the board.

wait what?! are you serious? this is nuts.

1 Like

Unfortunately, yes. The claim is still ongoing. You can read about it in this thread:

https://airhostsforum.com/t/review-assistance-requested/31152