Guest lied about smoking

Not permitting guns on property. If you own a rental, and are unfortunate enough that someone is killed on your property—accidentally or deliberately—you are required to disclose that to future purchasers and possibly future potential renters. It’s known that that causes a real and more or less permanent drop in the value of the property—aside from any liability you may have for renting to the person who did the killing.

2 Likes

You can state that but it’s not enforceable. You just have to hope that gun owners respect your wishes. Two of my friends are concealed carry licensees and would respect your rule and book elsewhere but I know many others simply feel that the 2nd A is a law unto itself and they would not honor your policy.

This is a rule at my LTRs. I don’t have that rule for my AirBnBs. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like
  1. Write to him via the Air platform before you confront him in person
  2. Once you’ve messaged him and it’s part of the Air system, you’re covered by the TOS and can move forward to either re-home him or get him to comply.
  3. It’s your home, your rules. Confronting people is hard - most people just want bad things to go away on their own, but they don’t
  4. Be professional and calm. Write down what you want to say and read from the paper if you have to. No shame in making sure you are in control and calm.
  5. Several folks here have given you excellent talking points (I love this group!), use them
  6. Be prepared to re-home him and lose part of the $$ reservation. Smokers are addicts, he won’t stop and even if he does it in the car, he’ll still reek. Impossible to air out after too long…
    7. No matter what type of review he leaves, leave him an HONEST review about breaking house rules and smoking and the smell. This helps other hosts identify the problem and not book him. It’s often mentioned here that hosts aren’t honest because they’re afraid of retaliation - don’t fall for it. Take the hit and if you want a bad review removed, call Air. Because you messaged him through the platform and opened a case (get a case #), you have cause to get it removed.

I hope it all goes well.