Guest left a persistent dirty smell in my room again, should I have a rule about guests own linen?

Lots of people all over the world use garlic @lordhunt

I’ve never seen an ‘oriental’ recipe that uses a whole head of garlic but plenty from Europe that do. (I am sure there is the odd one or two Asian recipes that do though)

I certainly don’t think people from Asia ‘stink of garlic’ so please don’t speak on my behalf.

Let’s not stereotype.

1 Like

Apparently every few weeks we need someone to make a completely pointless, irrelevant post about some race, ethnicity or national group.

2 Likes

I said some orientals, some not all.
I saw the man frying a whole head of garlic with all the cloves in tact. I cannot change what I saw as I did not see him frying one clove but the entire head!

Then you need more experience abroad. On my first trip, I could not stand the smell of olive oil in Portugal. My next stop was Madrid. That smelled too and of olive oil, but Spanish olive oil does not smell the same as Portuguese olive oil. My Spanish “mother” complained that I did not use cologne. She did but she did not use deodorant. Fortunately, that was a long time ago and times have changed; but it is an example how smells can be ok or good to some cultures and perfectly awful to others,
In this case an oriental fried a head of garlic, it does not indicate that all orientals fry a head of garlic it merely states ANoriental."

i reiterate - some races complain about the consumption of red meat. My daughter, a vegetarian, is one of them and as her colleagues cannot stand the smell.
In our society another pet peeve is the use of too much garlic be it a whole head, which I have seen, or clove(s).
The point is that what is not smelly to you is smelly cat to the next guy and visa versa.

OMG @lordhunt you don’t even know where I am from, what nationality I am or how much time I have spent living or travelling outside my country of origin so please don’t be patronising.

Bottom line I find your generalisations and stereotyping of people who are Asian rather offensive and your assumptions that ‘we’ (who is this we) think ‘they stink of garlic’ mind boggling in its assumption. Lots of countries cook with garlic why are you only offended by those who are Asian?

Just because you think ‘they stink of garlic’ doesn’t mean we all do.

Lots of communities use garlic. I love it. I have cooked with heads of it and even gone to a garlic festival and spent the weekend surrounded by it. So shoot me now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I read where a host wrote ‘in tact’ when he meant ‘intact’ but it doesn’t mean that all hosts can’t spell. What’s wrong with using a whole head of garlic? Roast them in the oven alongside a chicken or whatever it is that meat-eaters roast and eat the cloves as a vegetable. They’re nice when cooled as a snack too, instead of sweets or crisps. (And a lot better for you).

Can people use the term ‘oriental’ to describe people these days?

Yes, I’m sure there are people who don’t like all sorts of various smells - I hate the smell of broccoli to be honest - but we can’t do anything about food. Smelly bedlinen on the other hand, is pretty nasty to just about everyone, I think.

1 Like

If you eat a head of garlic in tact, are you so tactful you don’t breathe over anyone?

1 Like

Good heavens you would think that the term oriental is like calling people nigers! What is the problem with calling a person from the orient oriental? I think it sounds exotic. What is the politically correct term if one cannot call a person from the orient orental?
The whole head of garlic was not roasted! How do you roast a head of garlic in a frying pan?
Maybe garlic does not stink for some but there are people in this world who find that it stinks. For their benefit I have found that a cup of vinegar absorbs the odor. Is that a crime?

Garlic is roasted in the oven like normal roasted foods. It loses a lot of its smell and becomes sweeter. You can put the whole head in and when it’s cooked it squeezes right out of the skin into your bread, fish, meat etc… It’s delicious and fights infection, protects the heart and improves the circulation. Try some!

2 Likes

@lordhunt, I don’t know how slow news travels in your part of the world but apparently it’s slow. Please don’t use the N word on this forum and yes, oriental is “out of style” except in the more backward parts of the world.

I do like greens but the smell of cruciferous vegetables boiling is not great. Remember the smell of cabbage in school dinners? It’s way worse when overcooked, like the people who put the Brussels sprouts on round about now for Christmas dinner.

so what is a person from the orient called according to current politically correct terms?

so what are the politically correct terms?

How would I know? Just mention the nationality of the person when relevant, which isn’t that often. Try to avoid generalising and saying that races of people smell.

Some consider that after the n-word, ‘oriental’ is the most offensive,

So it is politically incorrect to say one is oriental or occidental we must say he is from China or France or wherever? ?? Please clarify this for me cause I have a big problem with politically correct expressions.

Like Western Oriental Gentleman for example. A vintage racist term.

1 Like

To be honest I don’t think you really want to know. You just want to carry on as you are, and get us to justify ourselves for trying to challenge racism. As you say you have a big problem with ‘politically correct’ terms.

1 Like

A guest from Eastern Europe asked my son what ‘race’ our dog was, meaning breed. (She’s a black and white Cocker). My son said, “She’s African American”, so ridiculous and inappropriate I just cracked up.

2 Likes