Guest leaving earlier

@Spark, you’re the kind of host that makes me prefer Airbnb when I’m a traveller. I would do the same. What goes around, comes around. I judge the quality of hospitality by reactions when things go wrong.

I agree, but I like to bring my Nikon over and shoot the beauty shots at the right time of day, so I kind of need to plan to do it.

Our original pix were home-made, and we were happy with the representation. Then (years ago) Airbnb offered free professional photo shoot, and we thought “why not… can’t hurt.”

The extent of the difference took us by surprise – we were totally blown away by how much better the professional photos were for showcasing our property. I won’t go into details, but in that moment we discovered why professional realtors insist on professional photographers. We were humbled.

The point of all this is that we will not try “amateur hour” again – and, with the cost of brining back a pro, it wouldn’t make economic sense to photograph anything less than a major change… so we let the old (slightly out of date) photographs stand. So far nobody’s complained that the actual TV is bigger than pictured or that the bathroom faucets are different from the listing.

1 Like

@KenH I’m still trying to figure out what you’re trying to say here.

You write 11111 words to say . . . what exactly??

It sounds like you’re leaning towards . . . resisting even a suggestion from Airbnb itself. Am I reading in between the lines correctly?

What’s more, rather than engage with the guest in a tedious and time-consuming back-and-forth – I’m sensing you’re opposed to that – your response could be interpreted as redirecting any refund requests to Airbnb.

Your approach (if I have it right) sounds like an innovative productivity ‘hack.’

I always love your responses because they are so direct and no nonsense. This latest of your brought another smile to my face.

P.S. 11111 words in base 2 is 31 words base 10.

Interesting to hear some Hosts state wide angle lenses are deceiving when depicting a rental. All my photos were taken with such lenses. The interesting part is that all my photos were taken by an Airbnb photographer under the guidance and approval of Airbnb free of charge BY AIRBNB. Mayhaps those complaining that these photos are deceitful should take that up with them. To this Host I think you handled everything appropriately with the guest and you are under no obligation to give them a refund. Good luck and I hope Airbnb has your back. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that Airbnb usually favors the Guests.

1 Like

But Airbnb doesn’t care if guests complain the place was deceptively pictured. They don’t care if your guests leave a bad review. They don’t care if your guests demand a refund, because Airbnb doesn’t refund their service fees. So they get all those nice slick photos all over their website and lose nothing.

2 Likes

Thanks,really appreciate your advice!

Thanks,really appreciate your viewpoint.

Really well put…I shall send this and keep it for future problems!

Has been done…thanks!

Good points…shall look into this! Thanks.

Really good to think about!

In the end,the company managing the flat waived 2 days without getting back to Air B+B because they thought that was the better alternative. They also had the shower unclogged which would have had to be done anyway.

it’s not opinion, it’s fact. wide-angle lenses distort. they are fine for landscapes, but for interiors they are a problem. you only have to look at things like windows and doorways to see how wrong the image is. If your photographer was sensible and shot at 24mm+ you might be fine. Or maybe you can’t see the flaws? I’m a photographer, I LOVE clients who can’t see the flaws. :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree with both responses Airbnb doesn’t care, and, the photos can be deceptive…its obvious looking at them. My point is that Airbnb has some culpability in this and if Hosts and guests alike think its wrong then they should take it up with Airbnb. Not that it will do any good. IMO

I’ve read many posts from hosts over the years who said they chucked the Airbnb photographer’s photos and went back to using their own. The hosts who signed up for Plus had no choice, they had to use the Airbnb photos and some were really upset about that, as the photographers didn’t take shots of the nicest amenities and features.

I’m fascinated! Could you show us a couple of the original homemade shots followed by the professional shots so we can see the difference?

1 Like

Why is that? It’s not as if the company goes around checking photography and listings to suss out the accuracy. If they did, their fees would be hugely increased which would soon have hosts up in arms.

I’ve always used iPhone photographs I’ve taken myself but as far as I recall, ‘Airbnb photographers’ are just local people recruited to do photographs?

I may be wrong but they aren’t employed by Airbnb.

Well somebody paid them and it wasn’t me. So maybe you can clarify who employed or hired them if it wasn’t Airbnb. Do the Photographers just do it for free as volunteer work or charity???

They sign up to be an Airbnb photographer, with Airbnb. But I’ve read a couple of posts from angry photographers who said Airbnb hasn’t paid them yet for photos they took months ago, and they get the same runaround from Airbnb that hosts whose money Airbnb doesn’t release when they’re supposed to.

As far as taking it up with Airbnb if you don’t think the photos give an accurate representation of your place, I also say why? You don’t have to use their photos, just like you don’t have to use their price tips, or IB, or whatever else.

1 Like