Guest insisting on phone call right after booking

It does sound as if you have dodged the proverbial. :grinning:

1 Like

HAHA! I mean gin sounds nice and all (especially at 15 weeks pregnant :joy:), but agreed! This group has been so incredibly helpful. Even if it’s just when I need to be talked off a ledge :wink:

1 Like

I never said we don’t have cameras? We do (see response above)! And a security system as well that can tell me when there is motion in the living room as well as when doors and windows are left open. My point was that I’m the one that monitors our cameras/security system, not our property manager, so if something is going on I have to relay to her and have her deal with it. I can’t just drive up there myself.

Congratulations!!! Woot!

1 Like

Thank you!! It took 2+ years so we’re that much more excited :smiley: Also why I didn’t want to have this questionable group staying at our place when I’d be 3 weeks from my due date!

2 Likes

It is odd. I would be suspect that the person who booked on Airbnb is making a third party booking and may never show, but the others who didn’t want to verify identification on VRBO will show up.

My house rules prohibit third party bookings and state that the person who made the booking must be in attendance. I would at least remind them that third party bookings are not allowed on Airbnb.not

I’ve thought about what to do with people showing up who don’t match their selfie, etc. I guess checking identification would be the first step, followed by an uncomfortable situation of things don’t match up.

I’d say at least half the people who show up here don’t “match their selfie.” I don’t care, I don’t even need pictures of the guest for my rental, however actually saying to people who look much older or heavier or less “made up” than their photo that they don’t look like their photo seems very problematic to me and I’d avoid doing it.

1 Like

AirBNB TOS prohibits third party bookings as well. I actually don’t think that was the case – they originally booked saying they had 4 adults coming into town for a family wedding. And I did confirm the girl that booked was the daughter-in-law. I think it was more likely that they either wanted to have an event there or wanted to have friends/family over for a pool party. We rarely get bookings at that property this far in advance, so the whole thing was quite odd.

Either way, they cancelled without me having to do anything so they must have figured it out on their own :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like the best possible result for you. Now you don’t have to stress about it.

1 Like

Hey, sometimes things work out in our favor after all :slight_smile:

Oh I see lots of guests who don’t look as good in person :slight_smile: I had a couple in their 80’s using a portrait from the 1960’s!

I’ve had several female Chinese guests who used model portraits off the web. I’ve never pushed for ID with them as I’m sure I would be presented with documents in Chinese script which I can’t read.

Selfies showing the back of their head or otherwise obscured are worthless of course. I’ve seen “selfies” that were landscapes or photos of their cat. I report the profile to Airbnb. I just want to know who is in my home.

I think they need the same vetting and ID process for the guests as well. The guest who does the booking may have no record and bring three felons with them. Who would know?

2 Likes

I understand. I know that not everyone feels comfortable with my approach. I just consider the fact that I don’t have to worry about it another of my competitive advantages. Also if Airbnb ever removed the photo component altogether, I’ll be ready.

1 Like

I think they could be just as concerned that you are a scam as the other way around. People may want to talk on the phone to give them comfort that the listing / booking is legit. There have been issues with fraud in the past on VRBO. People book and the property doesn’t exist.

I dunno, I mean we have two properties - one with 50 reviews and the one in question with 18 reviews. We also have 11 reviews as travelers (and you can Google our names and find us on Facebook). But sure, that could have been it I suppose.

I really like this! (Looking both ways before swiping it … unseen by all)

1 Like

Me too! It was an idea I found here and I think makes things so much easier and really a better experience all around. I know that people don’t read the full listing (I recently got my first overall 4-star rating because my guests couldn’t heat the pool in December. They never asked me about it prior to booking and our listing clearly states “Pool heating not currently available - will be available again in Spring!”) I’ve also had a group who last minute told me they had an 8th person (we allow max 7) and begged and pleaded to let her stay too. It ended up being fine, but we do have a cap for a reason. Anyway, I think clearing up these hot ticket items while they can still get their money back is essential! Makes for a better experience all around.