Guest insisting on full refund for mentioned noise

No review was mentioned in our communications. I’m just stuck in what to reply to the second message where he refused the £15 and asked for full refund. 7 days left to review :sweat:

@Gem20 Now that I’ve read what he wrote you requesting a refund I think he’s just a scammer. You promised the 15 so I would follow through and be done. Change the listing to be more broad so noone can try to claim misinformation. And don’t offer any refunds in the future.

I never get asked for a refund. Right now I have a handicapped dryer and the water is shut off (they can turn it on) and I am doing everything I can, but professionals don’t move fast on small jobs here. Meanwhile my guests are trying to reassure ME! Oh well. Everybody gets a big fat pizza when disaster strikes :smile:

1 Like

It is possible to open a new account under another name. People get a few bad reviews and they just abandon that account and start a new one. So a well experienced scammer guest or host (or one of those famous lurkers on this forum!) could easily be familiar with this. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they specifically looked for a listing with some defect disclosed expecting to parlay that into a free stay.

Gem20, how well does your listing disclose the Club ‘next door’?

I also do think that you have a certain responsibility to know it’s schedule and if only to diffuse these situations well in advance. I would call it pro-active for you to warn your guests that bla bla group has an appearance scheduled …especially for guests that appear to be of the non clubbing scene. You thus have it nicely documented that noise …

Now, on the question of a refund: what is your pain point on a 1 Star Overall review? $15, $35, $65? How much will it hurt you and your future earnings?
3 years ago ‘no refund’ would have been a no brainer, nowadays it is not like that anymore.

If you have not contacted Airbnb on this yet, CALL them. Tell them about your fears of a bad review and that they please take note the noise is disclosed and make sure they note it. It might help you to get any bad review removed. Ask them for their suggestion and that you already offered a refund of x%.

2 Likes

Funny, I am alone on this one because I think the guest deserves a full refund. If you said Fri and Sat and this was Sunday then, yeah, full refund. I consider street noise entirely different than a club.

Yes?

1 Like

This is in my description now. When the specific guest booked it was saying fridays and Saturdays but I changed it now. The clubs are also mentioned in the neighbourhood section. On my welcome message I do tell the guests to go over the description again and make sure the apartment fits their needs and they can cancel if not. (I’m on IB)

This was always in my house rules, says weekends so technically sunday is included on the weekend:

I think I’m covered now with the new re-wording. Its actually two clubs and my rate is too low on the weekdays for me to be searching the club websites every week :sweat_smile:

Unfortunately even if I give a full refund the guest can still leave a 1* overall so whats the point of me giving a free stay?

1 Like

@CatskillsGrrl - I agree with you, too. Music so loud it vibrates me until 4 AM in the morning when the listing didn’t mention Sunday night would infuriate me.

I’m sure you are getting a bad review from this. But as you said, you’ll probably get one whether or not you refund. The difference is that the review might be less scathing with a full refund than when you argue over the refund.

A ‘Bar’ can be many things, however a Club only translates to loud music…I get the feeling you want to disclose some noise, but not the stark reality of it.
Living in Costa Rica …they also have a tendency to bring on the loud music …
Why don’t name the closest Club by name …that way a guest can look it up and if ‘Trash Metal’ is having a gig …

1 Like

@CatskillsGrrl and @PitonView I do agree that the guest deserves some compensation though, not the full amount.

I investigated the situation. The sunday before him, the apartment wasnt booked. The previous Sunday a lovely non-clubbing lady was booked from Sunday to Saturday so I asked her today if there was any music on Sunday and she said no. (I’ll tell you the story about her in few hrs so you can cry/laugh with me). The bar/club is advertising an every Sunday event now on their website so the guest was probably honest but they only started doing that the day he stayed so there’s no way of me knowing!? I didnt purposely hide the sunday events I honestly had no idea they were going to start them.

I could now say in the description friday, saturday and sunday but what if the next door neighbor has a bday on a monday and wants to party until 4am? Will I give a full refund then as well? People should be ready for noise when booking into a busy city centre and I never advertised a quiet accommodation.

They both self-advertise as bars so thats why I name them bars. I did change it to bars/clubs now. As you can see in my previous post I always had the presence of nightlife mentioned in my description.

Part of the problem here is that it’s not just a case of ‘being covered’. It’s a case of giving your guests the hospitality they read about in the listing of the place they chose. Saying that there’s noise on Friday and Saturday wouldn’t have bothered the guest as he was staying on a Sunday. He should have known that the proximity of the club meant that there could be noise but so should the host.

3 Likes

We’ve got dogs barking 100 yards away…and it says YOU WILL HEAR DOG NOISE WHEN YOU ARE HERE> period. Is that enough??

Omg. No refund! Is he kidding? He was aware of the noise. You cannot create a supersonic sound barrier of silence so that guests acting like babies aren’t bothered the slightest. If you live near clubs and its central, he cant have it both ways.

It’s not even noise from inside your flat/house or coming from you or other guests! That’s ridiculous ! Has he ever stayed at a hotel? Did they ever give him a refund when he found it loud?!

Idiot.

2 Likes

If you read my previous post you will see that the clubs are mentioned several times. Today is Halloween and I’m sure the clubs will have events. Its common sense for guests to book outside the city when they want a peacefull environment. They paid £16 per person for one night and thats a hostel’s price. A hostel or hotel would never even disclose the noise and never give refund.

My problem is giving refund and getting a bad review anyway. Or him leaving a review saying it was noisy and he got a refund then everyone will ask for it! I decided to wait until the review period is over :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A friend of mine was at a hotel and the people in the next room had a horrific fight. The security guard showed up, and the whole thing kept her up most of the night. The hotel gave her a couple of bottles of wine, and a voucher for a free night on her next stay. None of that was their fault - it was the fault of the other guests.

So, yes, hotels sometimes do give things of value to guests for issues they can’t control.

I stayed in a centrally located hotel in the Wrigleyville area of Chicago for a Bruce Springsteen concert and also went to a Bears game. I chose it because it was well located for the concert and close to the mass transit line. It is advertised as a quiet location in a largely residential area and it is. It’s not right by the field with all the restaurants/clubs and events. However there was an art festival, one of those street fairs going on in the street outside the hotel. It was charming and convenient until Sunday night when a bobcat was removing piles of dirt and decorations into a dump truck for hours from 10pm to 1 am. The street facing windows really should be replaced at this price point but it was what it was. Despite complaints by me to management, no discount was given. I was given points in their bonus program to apply to a future stay and their equivalent value would have been about $50.

This is what happens when you stay in a central location in a city. I’m in the no refund camp.

1 Like

Ha …:rofl: …Kama, you are in the no refund camp, but asked for one anyways. Did I get that right?

Yes.

Since I experienced that as standard procedure I don’t think it’s right for a host with one room or house to bear a burden that a hotel (even a hotel that describes itself as in a quiet area) doesn’t.

To clarify this is the proper order of events: Booked quiet neighborhood hotel, experienced noise during what I’d expect to be quiet hours, asked for discount, didn’t get one, learned about overnight accomodation business, entered no refund camp. Also I asked for a discount, not refund.

I am still not convinced this was a ‘scammer’ out for a free night.
I think in these times a creative way is needed to approach issues …perhaps a phone call to the guest and to get a feel on how they liked the listing if not for the unfortunate noise … …
Not every host can make up easily for a 3 or less Star rating and if it kills your listing or gets the host suspended for low ratings, some refund might be the lesser of two evils.

1 Like

Please do not assume that I did not read your posts. Thank you.

You can mention clubs in your listing a hundred times but we all know that guests don’t read.

2 Likes