Guest has 1 bad review but it's 3 years ago

Hi fellow hosts,
We have had a request to book for 3 nights by a couple who have only one review dated June 2016. The review is simply 2 words “Not recommended”
We have an Airbnb room in our home so we will be here to keep an eye on things as much as possible.
What should I do?
A) Should I put that down to experience, it was 3 years ago maybe they are wiser / smarter / more mature now.
B) Avoid them at all costs.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Listen to your gut - if you have to ask then it’s obviously already giving you concern. Avoid by blocking the dates or some other way that won’t end up with you being penalised by AirBNB

1 Like

Too bad the previous host didn’t give useful information. Does the guest have several verifications? Was the previous review for a shared space or entire place? Those might give you some hints.

I’d be really tempted to ask the guest what happened. The response might be telling. They might even cancel on their own. Maybe you could put an inquiry into the host that gave them the review and get the host’s perspective.

4 Likes

Thanks Brian, looking into it further it looks like a dispute over use of the swimming pool. Hosts were out of the country so communication was a problem.

Ha - sorry but it makes me chuckle. We’ve had hosts here complain about poor reviews they get saying they are completely wrong, and yet they take reviews guests receive seriously and believe them to be true :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You can PM the previous host for deets.

1 Like

Hosts out of the country is probably the problem. Of course in those three years they could have had several poor stays but they stay with those hosts who selfishly shirk their responsibility to the functioning of the platform and don’t review unless it’s a good review.

The idea of discussing it with them seems reasonable.

4 Likes

People can change after 3 years. This is Airbnb, not the prison system. I would give them a chance unless there’s some red flag in their booking message. If they screw it up again and get another bad review, well they’ll have to wait another 3 years I guess.

2 Likes

Did the possible guests leave a review for the ‘non recommending’ hosts? What is the general feeling re the reviews for these hosts?

Also, these possible guest might have been turned off from that experience if there was a mismatch of expectations and are now willing to give Airbnb another try.
Me … I would just ask them …

1 Like

I’d avoid. Just trying to be cautious.

When a host uses IB, that’s the main reason we use reviews. They are so helpful in finding out what guests might have done in the past so that we can head things off at the pass.

1 Like

Hi again fellow hosts,
Thanks for all your advice. The prospective guest has now asked to check in early and says it’s actually for her son and his friend.
It’s a NO from us!

4 Likes

Woah…looks like you have avoided trouble there.

2 Likes

Thank goodness for the honest, if lacking detail, review from 3 years ago!

2 Likes

I had this exact issue. Potential guests had 1 bad review and when I politely asked him what happened, he went off on a 1/2 day diatribe. I said perhaps my place wasn’t a fit, then. He took his toys and went away. :wink:

1 Like

You mean it’s a 3rd party booking? That makes it a lot easier. Make sure to call Airbnb so you don’t get penalized for the decline.

3 Likes

I would absolutely not welcome them into my home! When another host gives you that kind of info I think it’s important to listen.
Maggie

1 Like