Guest got too friendly

I think it is so easy to point fingers after the fact. I don’t know the age of this creep, nor what culture he is used to…but I find it difficult to believe he has navigated this world - interacting with other people on a daily basis, yet he doesn’t know the difference between politeness, and the opposite sex showing interest.

I believe most of us can say we have been in the awkward moment of someone standing next to us, and all of a sudden asking for a hug goodbye. It could even be from someone of the same sex. I can recall a couple of times in my life reaching out to hug a friend (same sex) to say goodbye (moving out of the area) and running into someone I hadn’t seen in years. In those two instances I was taken aback by how my friendly hug was not welcome. These were not just acquaintences either. These were people who I spent many hours (over years) hanging out with, but we had just never “hugged.” And believe me, I could feel their energy immediately. My hug was not welcome to them, and I am certain the OP sent the same energy to her creepy guest.

Creeps like this guest will try to find any way to “accidentally” brush up against a woman’s breast, try to sneak in a kiss, etc.

Even if the host declined going to get coffee, this guest most likely would have found another way to have his stay end with the same scenario. He probably would have still hung around the kitchen counter while she was washing dishes. He most likely still would have sat next to her outside while she was smoking. Let’s not forget that before she went to smoke, she politely “hinted” he needed to go ahead and get ready to leave, as she was going to be getting ready for the day.

I don’t know how many of you - when he said “its always sad to leave…well I guess I’ll go…can I get a hug?” would have thought quickly enough to respond with “No thank you. I don’t want to give you a hug.”

I can also see if this scenario ended differently, that the host would have been blamed for overreacting to something she only suspected. Let’s pretend that nobody went for coffee and nobody did dishes, and she just went out to smoke in the morning, and he followed, and sat very close to her. Then let’s say that the host immediately got out of her chair, put out her cigarette, and said she was going to get ready for the day. And then guest takes his shower and approaches host to say goodbye, and asks for a hug. She declines, and he leaves. Then he leaves a very odd review complaining about this and that. But in reality he is pissed because the host completely avoided any of his subtle advances. Then the OP comes on this board to express her frustration about how she feels he was just retaliating but there is nothing she can do about getting the review removed.

I can see other commenters saying she shouldn’t have read too much into a guest asking for a friendly hug…and why does she just assume he was making advances on her. And then someone else would say that some people just have different boundaries with “personal space” - (which is true), and she shouldn’t assume that just because someone sits too close that it means they are physically interested in her. Then someone else would say she sounds like such an unfriendly person, and maybe she shouldn’t even host since she is so paranoid about males - and she must have such an inflated ego to think all men want her…Sigh…

3 Likes

I just read this entire thread and I think it is very interesting reading the different perspectives. Here is my thought: Up until we returned from coffee and he started following me around the house instead of taking his shower and leaving I just thought he was an overly friendly guest. Once he came outside with me a did the hair thing and sat close to me is when I started to feel uncomfortable. Looking back I can say that I wish I had done this or that differently so as not to give him any signals that I am interested but at the same time trying to be a good host. Its a delicate line to walk especially as a female. There is a reason that teachers cannot have a relationship with students even if they are over the age of 18. Its because the conditions create a sticky situation. The same goes for officers and enlisted in the military. In this situation, I am a single female host (with 2 kids) and I am in a position where I need to be friendly and welcoming. I am also in a position where I have this person in my home. He should never have even thought to take it there. I am a captive audience. Unless I am clearly saying “hey dude, I’m into you. Please kiss me”, I feel like he shouldn’t have even tried. This is a business situation not a dating site where people meet and the intent is clear. The other bothersome thing is that he said good bye and asked for a hug before his shower. It makes me wonder; did this guy think I was going to sleep with him and so he saved the shower for after he tried for the kiss?! In any case, I appreciate the different perspectives. Certainly hindsight is 20/20

7 Likes

Yana – I haven’t finished reading this thread yet but had to stop and say…I love your stories!

2 Likes

what? You called police? What else did he do?

Though we on this forum occasionally smack-down hosts who have holes in their stories, we hosts overall side with fellow host when they complain about a guest’s inappropriate behavior. I haven’t seen anyone here say “these things happen” regarding guests who try to ask for rides, complain to try and get a free stay, enter private rooms, or walk around in the common areas with minimal clothing. I don’t think attempting to kiss a host is anymore excusable than other guest behavior. At least this is behavior AirBnB takes seriously… they didn’t ask OlyCandice for documentation, like they ask in the event of guests verbally threatening hosts.

2 Likes

I actually read a review once when i was browsing other listings, when 2 guys was hiiting on a young beautiful woman host, and then left her terrible review.
That woman though was very smart. She at first said how shocked she was at all the thing they said, (all her other reviews were excellent by the way), and she did not say directly that they left review because she rejected their attention, but she described how she thought they were on good terms, but unfortunately she could not spend time with them when they asked her out to dinner, and drinks, and how she could not answer their calls during the day when they were trying to invite her for lunch because of work.

5 Likes

I was in a restaurant once in Barcelona (alone female) and was sitting at the counter/bar area just killing time until I was ready to go back to my hostel. I was having a very fun conversation with the employees. It wasn’t busy at all, so basically I had all of their attention. Two of the guys (separately at different times) asked me to go to dinner when they got off and closed shop. I declined and said I needed to get up early to travel back.

There was nothing “weird” about any of the interactions at all. Well I got up to use the restroom (which was upstairs) - I walked into the restroom (it had multiple stalls) and before I knew it, (the more “shy” guy who had initially asked me out) followed me in, and grabbed me trying to kiss me. I couldn’t even believe it. He backed off as soon as I pushed him away saying “no, no, no.” He left.

Only later did I find out that many have the impression that all American girls are very easy. I couldn’t figure out why so many men during my travels were so interested in me. I thought I still “had it going on” in my mid thirties - but no, they all just assumed I was easy…ha!

3 Likes

[quote=“sandyb, post:36, topic:7945”]
I don’t have TV in the living room, but there is a large HD TV in the guest suite. My guest arrived, unpacked, came downstairs and took his shoes and socks off while we spoke. Out of the blue he said, “You should come upstairs and watch TV with me later. We can snuggle.”
[/quo
OMGOSH, what an (expletive)!

The short version is, he paid through Friday and was still there on Saturday. He also hacked my downstairs computer and email accounts, installed a forwarding program. Airbnb didn’t ask for proof, but I think they closed his account. I have pictures of screen shots and spent hours resetting passwords on all kinds of accounts. Airbnb and the officers were great.

3 Likes

After all the horror stories we hear about AirBnB CS siding with guests and wanting documentation of verbal exchanges, I’m heartened to hear two cases of CS believing the host. I’m glad your local police took the hacking seriously, as well. I was hacked by a classmate in 2000, and brought evidence to the police, and they said they didn’t get involved with any computer crimes. Times sure have changed!

1 Like

Wow…that explains his “confident” forwardness with you. Was he good looking too…just to play the whole thing off?

What do you think his motive was? He sounds like a con man for sure.

I am with you 100%.
I will repeat: You did nothing wrong.
Sorry men and women who disagree with my opinion, but it’s time to get out of the dark ages and expect men to man up and evolve…the fact that by our (meaning women) mere presence in any type of situation means we are a potential ‘score’ is extremely condescending.
As women, we’ve been trained since forever on what to do, what not to do: Do keep yourself covered up appropriately, don’t wear clothing that may be considered provocative (which is of course subjective, remember Jim Bouton interviewing Gloria Steinem on TV and commenting that she was she was wearing a sexy outfit? She was wearing jeans and a turtleneck!). Do always smile and be nice. Don’t walk alone after dark. Here’s a thought…maybe perverts can stay home after dark! On an on it goes and it’s still happening, even by some women, the victim blaming and questioning.
Yes means yes, and men…if you are not sure if it’s a yes, ASK first before touching, hugging, groping, kissing.
Women…stop making excuses for men and their supposed inability to figure out the ‘messages’ or ‘signals’ they are receiving. Seriously, just stop, make them accountable and stop accepting that we as women have to walk around on eggshells in order to be simply safe.

8 Likes

He was morbidly obese, but I could tell he probably was good looking before he blew up. He was overconfident in his appearance and thought himself charming. Had a stupid baby pout face when I would spurn his advances. It was obviously one that had worked for him in the past. He’d come downstairs in shorts and a tank top and be sucking in his gut, puffing out his chest.

His end game was to get laid I guess. Any port in a storm.

Some funny things (funny now, not then), on the first day he asked me if I would do his laundry. (yes, he said HIS laundry) “You mean your sheets and towels? There are additional sets in the linen closet in your bathroom. Just stick the dirty ones on the washing machine.”

Hurricane Hermine was approaching and I told him my neighbor would be coming to stay if it got bad, as she has downs syndrome and her assistants weren’t sure if they would be there. His response: “Oh, that’s okay.” How nice of him…

1 Like

A million likes. Once again; why is sexual assault the only crime where the victims’ behavior is analyzed, not the perpetrators. If people get robbed are they told it was their fault for wearing jewelry? Were Bernie Madoff’s victims told it was their fault for showing him that they had a lot of money? That they should have known he couldn’t help his desires where money is concerned? We need to stop telling women that they need to dress differently, walk differently, not drink alcohol, not go out at night, not talk to men they don’t know, etc. We need to start telling men that it’s their fault and only their fault if they commit assault.

5 Likes

Exactly!!! He was taking his leave…saying goodbye… This is what you were told! OK here is a hug goodbye. You had every indication that this was the end!! I have given many a guest a hug goodbye and nothing sexual was gleaned from it. If you think about it, asking for a hug goodbye and having you refuse may not have been appropriate had he NOT had other intentions. He really put you on the spot! Then he moved in for the kill! Eeeeeek!

How totally pathetic and naive that a guy would make a hit this way and YES, the fact that he went to the shower afterwards is… Ewwwwwwwww, yes gross!

As someone on this forum once eloquently asked, “have these people been raised in barns???”

4 Likes

I had an extremely liberal japanese guest ask me for a hug when he left. A french one too. The both tried to flirt with me but i saw frkn the beginning, and although I was friendly with them I literally kept my body distant even when talking. They were week long stays so we saw each other quite a lot. And even though I saw they would be happy if they got something more than the Airbnb room I still have them a hug when they asked for it upon leaving . Despite trying to flirt they were nice guests and very polite. They went as far as I let them, although they wished they could go further. So the hug itself in the OPs case is nothing to blame, this guest is outrageous.

2 Likes

He was hoping for a Hallmark movie, on your end it was more like a Lifetime special… I mentioned on another thread recently, I had a young girl from China staying with me in August who didn’t like to wear a lot of clothes around the house, I had to talk to her twice about how she behaved around male guests, because sexual-harassment can go both ways…

Winter, 2015: I had just started Airbnb and had two long-term male guests staying with me, one of whom I had an embarrassing crush on even though he was 12 years younger than me LOL… one week all three of us had a string of snow days from work, and the young guy asked me one day if I wanted to go see a movie. I said sure, and just as we were leaving the other (older) guy came out of his room and ended up joining us. We got to the theater and he sat in between us I was so bummed ha ha… next day, another snow day, my young friend asked if I wanted to binge watch a show on Netflix with him, and just as we were sitting down to share a bowl of popcorn the older guy came out and sat between us on the couch! Men have a phrase to describe this type of interference, I don’t know what women call it. :grin:

This story brought to you by my current boredom.

4 Likes

There is a female term, but it is about as crude as the male term! It involves a body part and rhymes with / plays on interference. I’ll let you use your imagination.

1 Like

I have not had anything like this from an Airbnb guest but I’m female and I’ve had so many encounters like this over the years that I couldn’t even begin to count or recount them all. When I was younger I would brush it off and move on - as though I thought ‘yeah, this happens’ - end of story.
But it’s not what should happen and you would be correct in reporting this and taking it really seriously. I’m sorry you had to experience it and I hope it doesn’t dampen the rest of your hosting experiences.

4 Likes

So I just change my profile picture to someone sexy to get more bookings. Now thats a thought.:sunglasses:

2 Likes