Guest giving out my address for his mail from authorities against my house rules and without even mentioning it!

Hey, don’t waste time on what you shouldn’t have done. You can’t change it. He’s a twerp and will advantage and push limits.

Hang in there!

2 Likes

I wish Airbnb would tie up ends in this situation. They supported me in the phone conversation then didn’t call him. They are really slow. If the guest had been nastier it if I were more incompetent the situation could get nasty.

Thing is, though, what exactly are they supposed to do? It’s YOUR place and you’re responsible for managing it. I don’t know, I always get my head chewed off for saying this but Airbnb is a broker, not a nanny.

1 Like

I am expecting them to call him to explain he has broken the house rules therefore tos and to explain the cancellation and refund policy. It’s not about nannying, it’s good to have someone outside the situation so it’s not about me.

1 Like

Yes, fair enough indeed. Hope it works out. Don’t feel bad for being soft. Better to regret being too kind than the opposite, no?

Sadly I have usually regretted being too soft. I make the mistake of assuming everyone has good intentions etc and that’s not always the case. If a guest lies to me and deliberately breaks my rules, knowing that may harm me or my home, I feel stabbed in the back. To think I helped him with all his clueless questions and teething problems arriving in my country. Karma might come and bite him on the ass.

I know the feeling, particularly when you think you’ve already been kind and helpful. I’ve had lots of students and immigrants moving here - I tell them straight off that they can’t use my address as an official address. Occasionally, their face has gone white and they’ve said ‘ohh…we already did’. I know there are no guarantees in this game but generally things can be worked out by conversation. It’s really not the end of the world if your address is used temporarily - as long as things are addressed c/o and, once they’ve left, you mark everything ‘no longer known’ and post it back.
Probably I’ll get called naive. But I don’t think I am. There are a lot worse things to worry about.

It’s pointless for him to have used my address for this purpose as the usual lead time is 6 weeks and his stay was 9 days, and it wasn’t even c/o. It’s the fact that he knowingly, deliberately broke my clearly stated house rule, rule 5 of 5, which was clear on my listing before booking. He didn’t even ask about it. I cannot stand liars and sneaks. If people are dishonest in their attempts to come to this country I don’t think we want them here.

1 Like

Update: guest has gone, cancelled and the washing machine is on, oh joy. However he sent a refund request not only for the time remaining but also for the days he has already spent here. What a bloody cheek the sneaky lieing snake. Why does Airbnb allow that? There should be an auto bar saying these dates are in the past. So grateful I have a strict refund policy.
He is going back to Hungary. All his own sorry dishonest fault.

1 Like

The rake has only now, after the fact, told Airbnb he left to see his sick mother in Hungary. He already left once for breaking the rules, a second time for ‘other reservation issues’ on his refund request and now a third time for the bs ‘extenuating circumstance’ of his mother being supposedly Ill. How many reasons can there be for ending the same reservation? I will be very cross if they buy this one.

1 Like