Guest Expectations

Thank you all for your honest comments and feedback and for making me feel a bit better (and for showing me that some hosts really are committed to the guests overall experience).

Ill be honest, Ive still not left feedback because Im just not sure how to, Im thinking of making a list of pros and cons but keeping it short and simple and saying overall it was an ok stay. As someone pointed out you dont want to say too much otherwise youll look too demanding to other hosts (which is exactly what I dont want to do). I did pay over ā‚¬1000 for 7 nights, whilst this is not be 5 star luxury prices, I dont feel like thats what I was expecting. This could be wrong but as a paying guest, I want to be treated as a priority and to know that Im important (ie not having to make my own bed or when I have a problem its dealt with).

I did leave out some details because I didnt want to sound like I was being a diva and really just wanted as unbiased feedback as I could get.
The host did text me at the time that I told him we would arrive (and we had) and told me to call him when we were there, I text him back and said I tried to phone but it didnt work but we are outside the property. He replied saying they were on their way but to sit by the cancel and enjoy the sun but didnt say how long it would be. The hosts girlfriend showed up to let us in, she didnt offer an apology for being late and when I asked where she had been she explained that they were out on their boat in the canals taking advantage of the weatherā€¦ Whilst I tried to give my best poker face, I was really upset at this, am I seriously such a non priority as a paying guest that you prefer me to wait in the street with my luggage so that you get some extra sun time in!!! She then explained that because her boyfriend deals with the bookings she knew nothing about us, where we were from or how long we were staying forā€¦ Whilst she was very nice and a good host to show us around (gave us a map a map and said we could use everything) and told us to contact them if we have problems, I think I kind of already felt dejected but hopeful that maybe they would salvage it with made beds on our return. We couldnt figure out how to close the windows (again a guest book explaining simple things like this, would have made the difference!) we asked and weā€™re given our sheets and told he could make our beds if we wanted him toā€¦ At this stage it really felt like we were putting him out, so we said ā€˜no,no, its fine, weā€™ll do itā€™ā€¦
I noticed something on one of the white dining chairs and wiped it away, my hand came away black, I was like ā€˜whatā€™ so I went and then cleaned all 6 of the chairs, the cloth afterwards was black. When I was sitting in a chair, one of the screws feel outā€¦ Their neighbours were having work done, so there were bags of building rubble infront of a few of the windowsā€¦ To me these are the things that are minor and whilst I would have preferred not to have them, they didnt ruin or really affect my stay, and I feel it would be nit picking to mention these things in the overall public review, because I dont want to be seen as a nightmare guest who picks up on every issue.

You could say something like ā€œOverall we enjoyed the stay, but we thought there could be a little more attention to detail on the hostā€™s part when it came to check-in and cleanliness/maintainance.ā€

Leave out all the little details in the public part. That way future hosts wonā€™t see you as nitpicking. In the private section of the review you can mention specifically what the issues were.

4 Likes

My 2 cents. Even though you emailed your arrival time we live in a non perfect world. Planes are late custom lines are long. I always ask guests before heading into a taxi to whatā€™s app, email or text me and Iā€™ll send someone over with the keys. You canā€™t on Airbnb give a time and leave it at that. Because thereā€™s no front desk. No one lives at my rentals. While your staying there if something is loose or not right communicate with them. Say hey I like maint to come over and fix a concern. Leaving it till after you check out doesnā€™t give the people the opportunity to make it right. What good is it to work then for the next guy. Elevator if not in the ad ASK. Communicate with the owners. Sometimes I get 37 emails prior to arrival. Those are the ones Iā€™m a bit worried about to be truthfully honest. Iā€™m renting apartments. None of which are insanely priced. Looking for my possible guests to understand all this. As you should be if I wanted to have someone downstairs I would rent a hotel. But the sheets not being ready. Thatā€™s a new one. But itā€™s Europe and I donā€™t know the market. We have washerā€™s and dryers in all places. Maids do the laundry after check out.

1 Like

I think if they met you in time it would make a whole difference. I am all for being honest. I would write something like that: Overall our stay was nice. I would prefer the host did not make us wait for 15 minutes on a sun and met me at the apartment upon my arrival. There were some cleanliness issues and we had to make our own beds. There are 72 stairs to climb.

1 Like

Barry ā€“ she did tell him that the faucet was loose and that she was afraid it was going to break. He explicitly asked if she wanted someone to come over and have it repaired and she said yes. She never heard from him again. If he had told her, ā€œitā€™s actually not broken and itā€™s been loose like that for years. Please donā€™t worry about it,ā€ that would be an infinitely better response than just disappearing. For him to ask, ā€œDo you want me to make the beds for you?ā€ instead of just DOING IT, clearly communicates to the guest, ā€œI really donā€™t want to make your bedsā€.

I think youā€™re being an apologist for some pretty lame host behavior/practices. If a host has so many rentals that they are unable to actually address issues that arise with their guests, then hire someone to help out. If a host canā€™t do that, at the very least, expect occasional reviews that reflect a mediocre experience.

3 Likes

Chicago host. Iā€™m not being sympathetic. Im saying you werenā€™t there. Who knows the real truth about what was actually said. Anyway. If the host failed to fix something after repeatedly being asked to fix it. Then the guest should leave the appropriate review. Thatā€™s all

That rate would depend on the place itself and its location, and the cleaning fee can vary depending on the size of the place and its amenities. You pass judgment too easily.

Not really. I immediately raised the question of where was this place and what was its price, because what a place offers is usually dependent on those two realities.

The fact the host said it will do something and then totally forgets about it, that and only that fact, leads me to think they were sloppy.

1 Like

This information will help us, you, decide whether or not the inconveniences were worth it. If it was a bargain rate, then Iā€™d put up with just about everything that was mentioned was wrong.

1 Like

She said 155 Euro/night or over 1000 E for her 7 night stay in Amsterdam.

$175 US a night. They did sound like nice-enough folks, but maybe being a little more attentive to detail will serve them well.

Oh my. Thatā€™s not cheap, but probably ā€œin the ballparkā€ for that city. My biggest complaint if it were me would have been the plumbing issues. If Iā€™m paying that much Iā€™d expect a more attentive host.

@Mearns is probably the least judgemental poster on this board. He has strong opinions, but unlike so many others here; he encourages debate and doesnā€™t belittle or judge people who donā€™t see eye to eye with him. He and I are pretty much polar opposites in viewpoint; yet heā€™s never put me down.

2 Likes

Ellen! :heart_eyes: ā€¦

Oh brother. :confounded: now whoā€™s being judgmental?

1 Like

Well, the problem is that in the Netherlands most vacation homes are rented without any supplies or bedding, people know this and take them themselves. (This is part of the cheap dutch thing).

I personally provide as little toiletpaper as possible. It seems some guests wipe their behind with the whole roll of paper, instead of tearing of pieces. It is just incredible how much paper some guest use. And most of the time guests buy their own when doing groceries.

And yes Amsterdam is expensive. I would never get an AirBnB in Amsterdam, but just outside the city. Public transport is excelent en runs 24 hours.

2 Likes

You do sound like a whining diva!
Why did you use AirBnB in the first place? You sound as one of those guests that does not understand AirBnB, but want a hotel service and pay as little as possible.

You have do have some valid points about like the fosset and shower.
But to me, most of it your are whining about a host not contacting you, waiting a measly 15 minutes and some stairs.

Next time, spend some more and book a hotel!

3 Likes

This is where I take issue with your gripe about the beds. Like I mentioned beforeā€¦I do not know if it is common in that area to just show up with the sheets later, etc. I mentioned in some areas it is normal that sheets are not provided. Did you ever find out if it is or isnā€™t customary where you rented?

Either way, when they arrived back they did offer to make the beds. While I do understand how you felt they shouldnā€™t have needed to ask (implying they didnā€™t want to do it) - that may not be true. Anytime my partner has given a tour to guests AFTER they arrive, they act like they donā€™t want him there. Thankfully that only happens once in a blue moon. He still needs to show them some important things of how to operate electronics, etc. in person. But once the guests are already in, they are not nearly as friendly, and donā€™t want to pay attention to anything - they just want him to say what he needs to say, and get out. I am just throwing out that example, because it could be why your host asked and did not just start making the beds.

Thanks for the history lesson @brooks2adks. Fascinating. I live on the southern coast of Maine. My sister has a part time gig where she turns over a summer cottage right on the ocean for its owner, who lives in VA. I have helped her at times when she was in a bind and I was shocked to learn the owner of the cottage does not provide linens!

Me too, i provide reasonable amount of toiler paper but not the whole pack of 6, like i did before. Now , with guests who stay more than a week i tell them right away to buy their own after they use this 1 to get them started. Noone objects.
AMsterdam is very expensive. 150E wont take you far

1 Like