Guest does not want to go out of the house

That’s a great idea. The kid is probably lonely and home sick. Inviting her to play board games, etc. would be a nice gesture.

1 Like

Thank you for you interesting responses. My wife is the main host. She is louder and more assertive so made me co-host as I am quieter and often looking at problem solving solutions. We have changed our listing now. I suppose this is put down as a good learning experience.

3 Likes

I would be interested in knowing what other state in the U.S. where a guest does NOT become a tenant after 30 days? I do not think California is unique in this area.

RR

I feel your pain. I had a similar situation last Fall. A brother and sister in their 60’s stayed with me for 2 weeks. They barely left the house and spent their time in the living room watching movies and talking! It was crazy. My house is small and until then most of my guests were in/out during the day, not camped in my space. I dealt with it by going out a lot, and sometime asking them if I could watch television… it sucked. Lesson learned is that I don’t allow more than 14 day bookings and make sure to list that my place isn’t meant for people to hang around (in nicer terms).
Good luck!

2 Likes

State laws are all over the place, with some states silent on the # of days and have alternative criteria for whether a “guest” has become an “unapproved tenant.”

California is famously known for the clarity of its bright deadline – +28 days leading to a guest becoming a tenant, AND significant barriers to eviction. I think that’s where the distinction lies.

This link isn’t the clear side-by-side chart I’m looking for on your question, but it gives a handle on the variables by region.

You have plenty of good suggestions herein, and there are always lessons learned for this “one size does not fit all” hospitality approach

Even though I have a separate guest house, I still limit my guests to max 2 weeks with most stays being less than that. It’s just what works best for my situation. There have been people who have asked if I’d consider longer periods but with one exception I’ve always declined. For me to consider longer, they have to have been exceptional guests who were clean, self sufficient, didn’t cook a lot, and were out and about.

With that in mind, you might consider providing an initial duration limit, then if there is interest in extending or returning for a longer period you will have had a “trial period” to gage if it is a fit for both guest and host.

And if you do use that approach, as others have suggested within other topics, it’s at that point you can choose to book directly with them, saving them (and you) the fee ABNB fee structure.

Sadly, I resemble the cooking remark!

1 Like

I may be naive but I live in NC and don’t think it applies here. Actually, I’d like to see a kist if states that it actually DOES apply to. I think it may be more localized than an entire state in many places, too. My guess is that there are fewer places that have that law than that don’t but the horror stories are just so bad that people cling to them (sometimes for their own benefit, and sometimes out of ignorance).

Or you can just write that living room is off limits or …put TV in guests room.
My daughter once was staying in Airbnb and kitchen was plowed for cooking .
She and her boyfriend started cooking some complicated meal. Because they were a beginner’s in cooking it took them awhile.
She said their host came out on a kitchen started starring at them . He was just sitting there and looking at them . He didn’t speak English so he choose the starring method .

May be you should have done the same hehehe just go in a living and start staring at them