Guest complained to Airbnb ( entered my room) was messy & "not as pictured" demanded refund

You could retitle her pictures of your messy room ‘My Unmade Bed’ and sell them for a fortune.

6 Likes

Psychology conference? Takes one to know one.

1 Like

Well, sorry to appear to be unsympathetic but that isn’t really the best attitude for an Airbnb host to have. If you’re home sharing (rather than having guests in a separate suite or apartment) then your privacy is going to be invaded.

The best thing you can do is minimise it.

You should really have a lock on your bedroom door, or at least a sign saying that it’s private. And if there’s no lock then you’ll really have to expect that some people will peek in. Not everyone is respectful and courteous. You have to take steps to protect your property - you can’t expect ‘superguests’.

Your Airbnb business is just that, a business. And we can’t really complain about guests if we don’t protect ourselves.

Sorry but that’s how I see it.

5 Likes

As an American, I have watched many British shows like Monty Python, Faulty Towers, Benny Hill, etc. so yes, I know what a wanker is. (Plus I have traveled extensively to U.K.)

2 Likes

The last time I visited London, went to a Queens Park Rangers football match against Brighton. The stewards, concerned about my delicate middle aged lady sensibilities, warned me that I was sitting rather close to the Brighton fans and “might hear some bad language.” The Brighton fans alternated between heartfelt singing of their old-timey “Stand for Brighton” song and then yelling “wanker, wanker, wanker” and other creative and obscene phrases.

3 Likes

It’s not often I disagree, and yes I agree that home sharers have to live with the occasional Peeky Blinders, but on this occasion, taking photos in order to complain/seek a refund is beyond the bounds of plain nosiness. Peek if you must, but don’t blag about it.

5 Likes

I would recommend not allowing self check in. Ask them to wait until you’re back from work etc… That way you own your space more. I don’t agree that hosts should have to have locks on every door, if guests cannot be trusted they should be off the platform.

6 Likes

I recommend getting a lock and key for your bedroom door. My girlfriend and I each have a key for our room and we lock it whenever we aren’t here when we have guests. That way no one can “accidentally” enter you room to mess with things or take pictures. We lock the pantry in our kitchen too and keep any food that we don’t want our guests to eat in there. It has worked splendidly so far. Your guest doesn’t deserve a refund because your room was not part of the listing.

Don’t worry, ‘wanker’ isn’t obscene.

Follow the money.

Your guest photographed your room and tried to pass it off as your listing. In effect, she entered both your room and your wallet without permission. It’s a scam.

I agree with you & lesson learned. I’ve never had anyone come into my room… Not peek but inside & taking photos.

I don’t have a normal Door entry setup esp in cities like SF where you might have a sliding Door. I keep it open about 8 inches so my dog can come and go as she pleases.

I do think there’s a expectation of privacy on both sides that should be respected.

1 Like

Update:
Not only did I win the case I was able to get her review removed!

Thanks for the support everyone!

12 Likes

AWESOME!!!

We win so few…the victories should be celebrated!

2 Likes

Thank goodness this turned out well for you, I would have felt so violated that someone invaded my personal space, nevermind the pictures and complaint. That is horrible!

Thank you for returning and updating us on the happy outcome. We so frequently hear only the problems and never the solutions. I’m so happy for you that it was a good outcome.

Glad this got resolved in your favor. Please take the advice of the people that have recommended that you put a lock on your door. I rent a room in my house and I have locks for my room and for my Airbnb room. Better for everyone.

1 Like

I find that if guests see a door knob, they try to open it, so nosy! They must think they are missing out on something which is why I installed numerous locks inside and out of my home.

1 Like

Sure about that, Jaquo? Or are you having me on so I use it in polite company and get slammed haha!
From Wiktionary (granted a totally unreliable source):
“A study by several British broadcasting organizations found that “wanker” was the fourth most offensive word in the UK (after c___t, m**********r, and f__k).”

2 Likes

I’m sure. The c-word is one I won’t use ever, at all. I hate it!

1 Like

I used to hate it but there is a despicable woman commentator in the US whose mere visage appearing anywhere I can see it anywhere makes the c word come into my head. Most recently I saw her calling migrant children child actors. This world is surely a sorrier place because she lives.

3 Likes