Guest checked himself in whilst I was out with no prior agreement

And the guest always seems to imagine that the place is magically empty before they get there (no matter what the time) and will remain empty once they leave! And we see it as a revolving door…

2 Likes

How many times and ways and different people have to tell you no, they would not be pissed off?

Anyway, I can’t wait to hear about the review.

5 Likes

Lol I feel that way whenever I check into a hotel. Try hard not to imagine the previous guests. Arrived in Dublin at 6:00 am and had to wait until afternoon to check in. Seems they had the audacity to have previous guests. Deb your analysis is spot on!

1 Like

“How many times and ways and different people have to tell you no, they would not be pissed off?”

Amen to that, sister.

4 Likes

Come on Karma that’s not true. People are often pissed off when guests break agreements and rules!
They might not be concerned about meet and greet issues, but are interested in other concerns.

1 Like

I think I’ll move on from this thread…

3 Likes

The horse is dead, the wolves have been… let it be a shadow on the landscape

5 Likes

If i was a guest staying in a family, i would wait, text or call the host to let them know i arrived early. I would either wait outside or ask could i wait in a sitting room until they return. It would just not enter my head to go look for my room and then rummage for keys, I think its cheeky, and disrespectful. The guest changed the time not the host so he should have just waited.
I dont think i would have called to have him removed, but i would tell him that i would preferred if he waited so i could go through the check in process. We all run our listings different, as hosts we are entitled to run our own in accordance with our own beliefs. Sometimes guests dont think or read, you have to be bend a bit when dealing with different guests. I have often got annoyed with a guest pissing around with arrival times, then you open the door ready to kill them, but they smile , you smile back and you left it go.

3 Likes

Uhm, no. You kicked out a paying guest because you were not in control. He did not let himself in your other guest did. I hope Air refunds him the poor guy did nothing wrong.

RR

3 Likes

You are wrong. He broke all trust by his trespass. It is not normal to follow someone into a house then rummage around. You know what, he even admitted it when he collected his bags. Why are you defending him. All he had to do, if he arrived earlier than agreed, was to contact me. There’s no excuse.

You did not have control, it angered you and you kicked him to the curb. I hope you post the review here for all to see.

Best to you

RR

3 Likes

Sorry to hear. Had he used AirBnB before? I can imagine 2 scenarios: a total newbie who thinks they can just do what is convenient for them without checking in with the host as the first thing they do. Or someone who is experienced who figures they know the procedure, doesn’t think they needed the tour and was keen to go out and enjoy their holiday. Not saying either of those is okay. What do they say: if its a choice between bad intentions or incompetence then incompetence wins most of the time.

2 Likes

Call it control if you like. Nothing wrong with having a say over who enters your home or running a business where meet and greet is an important aspect, practically and as a usp. He could have turned up drunk or anything, What’s wrong with assessing who comes in your home? I have another guest to think about for a start.

A friend of mine refers to herself not as a “control freak” but a “control enthusiast”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep I thought about that. He’s an older complacent guy. Thinks he knows it all and that the sun shines out of his arse no doubt. How can you ever know a host you’ve never met, or the runnings of someone else’s home? You need to meet them!

Yep a bit like a swearing enthusiast.

1 Like

Was he new to AirBnB? Did he have other reviews? As far as the other guest letting him in I would make it clear by a sign on the back of the door “Do not allow people in you do not know for your safety and the security of your possessions”. I am not sure if it would work. They were continually reminding us not to let people at work tailgate us into the lifts and through security doors. It was an investment bank so pretty tight on security. They even made us lock laptops to the desk at night which everyone though was an overreaction until an intruder was caught in the office one evening trying to remove one. I am sure in your case people might be a bit more understanding if you said you had found a drunk guest passed out on the sofa who you had not met or checked in. We manage for the bad 1% not the good 99%.

1 Like

Yep managing for the bad 1% … It’s hard not to spoil things for everyone else, too many signs/locks etc. is a bit institutional. This guest who followed my guest in probably only comprises 0.3% of guests.
My Italian guest was a bit blindsided by the pushy guest. He assumed there must have been a prior agreement for him to behave in such an entitled manner. He is now relieved to know he can say no, and that I would never put him in that position. Maybe just put something non alarmist in the house rules about asking people to wait in the pub (2 minutes walk) until I am in.

1 Like

The phrase con man of course is short for confidence man. He conned his way in.

Yep he knew I was out, so god knows why he just didn’t go to the pub or message me. We had an arrangement of 8 to 8.30. I think he just didn’t care, just wanted to get in asap regardless so just followed the guest in.